The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really

Started by Peakius Baragonius, Mar 01, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Will fans ever make peace?

No, whoever wins, we lose
21 (46.7%)
Yes! I was totally wrong about Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Predator 2/AVP/Predators being a bad film!
4 (8.9%)
Perhaps someday
7 (15.6%)
Forget this poll, enough with the god-forsaken canon rant threads already!!! :-)
22 (48.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author
The AVP vs. Prometheus Canon Debate, and all canon debates really (Read 36,282 times)

Peakius Baragonius

What I'm wondering is...how'd a thread about not worrying about what is or isn't canon turn into a thread about what canon is or isn't?

Fans. We always find ways to argue.  ;)
Spoiler
Kidding, kidding, please don't kill me  :P
[close]

Mr. Weyland

Somebody said in a thread, I read a few days ago (sounds like a poem)  :laugh: anyway, that in the future, these films will be kind of like the Universal Monster movies, i.e. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolf-man and so on, they had terrible continuity, but they where all tied in together, cross overs and so on, and I am sure at the time people had these kind of arguments, since the continuity was all over the place. Or maybe they didn't?

But these days days, nobody cares but counts them all together as canon, maybe? and just enjoys them all, even the not so good ones, so in about 20 or 30 years, I don't think this canon stuff will matter anymore, they will all be in one big box set on 'Hologram Definition' or something and just labeled as classics, even the AVP films.

But this is the distant future we are talking about, in which there might be more Predator films, Alien films, maybe another Prometheus and a retry at an AVP film that might go down better than the last two, but still not as good, who know what may happen.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Mar 08, 2012, 02:48:46 PM
What I'm wondering is...how'd a thread about not worrying about what is or isn't canon turn into a thread about what canon is or isn't?

Fans. We always find ways to argue.  ;)
Spoiler
Kidding, kidding, please don't kill me  :P
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Don't ask me man, I only work here. :laugh:

Your last post was interesting, Mr. Weyland.  I hadn't thought about these movies in that way before.  I think to most people, you'll be right and the movies will just run together despite of their quality.  To the fans, though, I'm sure AvP:R will get worse over time.

When my children watch it for the first time, it's going to be right after seeing Alien, Aliens, and Predator, then I'm putting in AvP and telling them "remember kids, this was made twenty years later."  They will understand our pain.

Xenomrph

QuoteTo the fans, though, I'm sure AvP:R will get worse over time.
I'm actually not sure on that - people hated 'Alien3' when it came out, and have warmed to it since. Likewise with Resurrection. Only time will tell how the AvP movies get treated.

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 08, 2012, 05:39:46 PM
QuoteTo the fans, though, I'm sure AvP:R will get worse over time.
I'm actually not sure on that - people hated 'Alien3' when it came out, and have warmed to it since. Likewise with Resurrection. Only time will tell how the AvP movies get treated.

They warmed to it because of the production problems which caused the film to be like it is, actually its a miracle it turned out as average as it did instead of garbage AVP-R was and had no justification.

No offence to the author of this thread but this should been closed the moment the debate turned into an argument, hell i would not of started it at all since the topic of "canon" always has arguments and flame wars.

This is how i see things: The films are canon and the E.U is not. (my opinion only, remember)
so since Prometheus and AVP are movies, then they are canon and i hope to devil that prometheus has no Predator references. (I prefer to consider them separate franchises, that way if one bombs only one franchise can be affected)

So yeah, Prometheus is canon. I am actually confused to why people are questioning that.

RagingDragon

Arguing is good for you.

SM

QuoteSo yeah, Prometheus is canon. I am actually confused to why people are questioning that.

Might have something to do with the fact that no one's seen it yet.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 08, 2012, 05:39:46 PM
I think David finchers involvement may have something to do with that, he went on to an decent career after alien3, same with Jeunet the brothers went on to skyline ;).

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 08, 2012, 07:40:05 PM
Arguing is good for you.

No, arguing is ranting and when one is too emotionally involved and biased.

Debates are good because they are civil and are about reaching an agreement rather trying to prove who is right which is also what arguments are about, proving who is right.

Might have something to do with the fact that no one's seen it yet.

yes but so far as we know its in the alien universe and as a "film", it means its canon...or at least that is how see it since the movies came first.

SM

Without knowing what the continuity issues are and whether they're reconcilable, Prometheus is nothing at the moment.

predxeno

Nero the Jackal

Well i personally hope they contradict AVP since that ruined things in my POV and with scott as director he has more say on what is canon than the anderson or the strause brothers since he is the original director.
But yeah nothing is seen yet but if Fans can take the craziness of the crap avp films as canon or even the E.U then obviously prometheus is likely canon or to be accepted as canon even if it features no aliens.

RagingDragon

What happened in here took hours of critical analysis and emotional control.  At the end I threw up my hands, sure, but it wasn't some mindless rant.  There was a lot of contribution.

How many emotional arguments have you seen bring up philosophy, biology, and artistic theory?

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 08, 2012, 07:58:21 PM
What happened in here took hours of critical analysis and emotional control.  At the end I threw up my hands, sure, but it wasn't some mindless rant.  There was a lot of contribution.

How many emotional arguments have you seen bring up philosophy, biology, and artistic theory?

Lots, an argument doesn't mean the people in it are dumb.
one aspect of arguments (out of many) is that the people are trying to prove who is right rather than meet a middle ground, and so they pull out everything they know to help them.

when i said ranting i was not talking about you two (took it personally though didn't you?) that is just another aspect of arguments that i was telling. Fact is, canon subjects cause arguments.

RagingDragon

Well hell yes I did, we were yelling at each other for pages in here. :laugh:  On display shamelessly for everyone to see.

I get what you're saying, and definitely agree.  Are you married, by chance?

Anyway, canon!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed