Another New Picture

Started by Shasvre, Jan 14, 2012, 09:38:57 PM

Author
Another New Picture (Read 60,541 times)

Sgt. Apone

Sgt. Apone

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2012, 12:27:43 AM
I still don't understand the hate for the idea of the Jockey being a humanoid in a suit. Why is that concept bad? No really, I want to understand this. I love the idea that the enemy looks a bit like us (or what we might think is the enemy).

I kow. They're hating the movie before even seeing it. It's not even that bid of a deal.

Bayo

Bayo

wait a minute........another suit for Elizabeth Shaw? now this one is the same as the last image but now
all blue? maybe the suit lines change color for different atmosphere, or this movie has some stages of pre-production
selecting the right space suit?

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

The fact that the jockey is a humanoid in a suit is more intriguing, other wise we have your conventional sci fi horror/thriller. What's wrong with that? nothing at all, but Scott and his team are creating something that is multi-lateral in the respect we have one lifeform how does it behave? what's it's purpose?. Then it fuses biomechanically into another suit,shell whatever you want to label it as, which looks different and is necessary for this lifeform to carry out it's purpose. Each time new questions arise, Scott is pulling us the viewer in and tugging at our thought strings. Not many films, hardly if any do that nowadays at all. If Scott and his team can pull this one off, it may very well be THE film of the year, it's only real strong contender is The Dark Knight Rises. I think Fox need to start doing a bit of viral advertising though, maybe some Weyland Website stuff. They're probably still deciding weather to show the pg13 or R rated version and maybe that's why theyre holding back a bit from the promoting of the film to determine it's core audience. I'm not the biggest fan of sanitising films for a more universal audience, but from what i've seen here tone wise and Lindeloff has indicated in the past it's not going to be gory, it may well do the job at PG 13 if it's a more psychological science fiction thriller. Prometheus is going to ask so many questions, it's going to tantalise our perception of the unknown, and i for one am very happy with that. I just hope the 3D dosen't let it down because now i have seen this picture of those suits (assuming theyre biomechanical suits), the thought of them moving around in 3D is intriguing but also very disturbing as they must be huge we're talking atleast 8ft probably more. The Blu Ray of this film is going to be astounding, i bet the featurettes will blow our minds and i wonder if Giger will pop up in a few interviews too.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jan 15, 2012, 01:52:20 AM
I still don't understand the hate for the idea of the Jockey being a humanoid in a suit. Why is that concept bad? No really, I want to understand this. I love the idea that the enemy looks a bit like us (or what we might think is the enemy).
This is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLtgr2T9E#noexternalembed-ws
That.

It has to be noted that these suits are not even close to being as big as the original SJ. Whatever they are for, it isn't riding in the chair the way the original did. It makes absolutely no sense to create a new set comparable in size to the original chair only to then nerf the SJ to half the size.

As Xenomorphine says, there were rumors that the Engineers and Jockeys are different beings. I no longer have any doubt that this is true. These suits are for slaves, or another race that emulates the SJs who are their gods. These are not Jockey suits, so there is still room for the SJ to be very alien (and gumboot free).

-Chris

Ruzena

Ruzena

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jan 15, 2012, 05:04:39 AM
This is why: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLtgr2T9E#noexternalembed-ws
That.

It has to be noted that these suits are not even close to being as big as the original SJ. Whatever they are for, it isn't riding in the chair the way the original did. It makes absolutely no sense to create a new set comparable in size to the original chair, and then nerf the SJ to half the size.

As Xenomorphine says, there were rumors that the Engineers and Jockeys are different beings. I no longer have any doubt that this is true. These suits are for slaves, or another race that emulates the SJs who are their gods. These are not Jockey suits, so there is still room for the SJ to be very alien (and gumboot free).

-Chris

Bless you, you returned hope to me :D No boots plx!!!!

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Amen Wobbly!!!!

If the SJ was some weird monster Prometheus may play out as standard fair....but you're right....having them humanoid only begs more questions. So excited about what's  i come.

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

No probs ThisBethesdaSea looks like we're both thinking on the same page buddy :)  Roll on june 2012 the months will fly
by  :)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Jan 15, 2012, 04:54:12 AMThe fact that the jockey is a humanoid in a suit is more intriguing, other wise we have your conventional sci fi horror/thriller.

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2012, 05:49:18 AMIf the SJ was some weird monster Prometheus may play out as standard fair....

But what was Alien about other than weird monsters? I too like the idea of having a giant humanoid alien race in the film, but to have them as the alien race is dull IMHO. To do away with the monster and say 'hey, they were really all kinda like humans all along' is outright lame. I would even go so far as to say that it is outright nihilistic. And all for what, philosophical timbre?

I'm obviously not on the same page as you guys ;)

-Chris

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

Quote from: 180924609 on Jan 15, 2012, 12:55:40 AM
ThisBethesdaSea

Why does a God NEED a nose to breathe oxygen?

Why does a God NEED two ears to 'hear sound energy reverberating through the medium of air' when, presumably being a God, he can just instantaniously intercept ALL thoughts and notions before they are even uttered.

Is this 'Space Kojak' God composed of atoms (and sub-atomic particles) or is he some other form of energy that human science didnt need to bother applying such efforts to understand?

Does Space Kojak have, errrrm, a MEMBER to pro-create? Or is he ETERNAL? But wait, surely thats the whole point of evolution on Earth --> we all live forever THROUGH OUR GENES. We pass on the BEST bits of us to the next generation, through sexual reproduction based on the most favourable current environmental conditions.

[Is that enough?]
Erm..........take a break........... Please!!!!
01: they are not "gods"........compared to humans and our understanding of things , the sjs appear to be gods....... But only when put next to a lesser being, kinda how a man would seem to an ant , if able to understand such a thing lol
Understand that when your dog sees you throw a ball 20 feet or strike a match or flush the goddam toilet....he thinks you have godlike powers lol
02: our own ancient history tells of our creators looking just like us......only bigger!!! Seeing as this movie ties into our ancient history+ancient alien theory im guessing the sjs are gonna be annunaki or something of that nature
Im 100% ok with them looking like us ( although i think the big baldguy is just featured in a flashback sequence playing the roll of the pilot of the 79ship(prometheus legend+ancient alientheory+epic narrative) And not the same race we will be seeing in the movie prometheus

Ruzena

Ruzena

Quote from: PrometheusFire on Jan 15, 2012, 06:26:56 AM
ThisBethesdaSea

Why does a God NEED two ears to 'hear sound energy reverberating through the medium of air' when, presumably being a God, he can just instantaniously intercept ALL thoughts and notions before they are even uttered.

Is this 'Space Kojak' God composed of atoms (and sub-atomic particles) or is he some other form of energy that human science didnt need to bother applying such efforts to understand?

Does Space Kojak have, errrrm, a MEMBER to pro-create? Or is he ETERNAL? But wait, surely thats the whole point of evolution on Earth --> we all live forever THROUGH OUR GENES. We pass on the BEST bits of us to the next generation, through sexual reproduction based on the most favourable current environmental conditions.

[Is that enough?]
01: they are not "gods"........compared to humans and our understanding of things , the sjs appear to be gods....... But only when put next to a lesser being, kinda how a man would seem to an ant , if able to understand such a thing lol
Understand that when your dog sees you throw a ball 20 feet or strike a match or flush the goddam toilet....he thinks you have godlike powers lol
02: our own ancient history tells of our creators looking just like us......only bigger!!! Seeing as this movie ties into our ancient history+ancient alien theory im guessing the sjs are gonna be annunaki or something of that nature
Im 100% ok with them looking like us ( although i think the big baldguy is just featured in a flashback sequence playing the roll of the pilot of the 79ship(prometheus legend+ancient alientheory+epic narrative) And not the same race we will be seeing in the movie prometheus

02: our own ancient history tells of our creators looking just like us......only bigger!!!

Can I ask you in which country you visited elementary school? :D This is disturbing.

PrometheusFire

PrometheusFire

Quote from: Ruzena on Jan 15, 2012, 06:37:01 AM
ThisBethesdaSea

[Is that enough?]

02: our own ancient history tells of our creators looking just like us......only bigger!!!

Can I ask you in which country you visited elementary school? :D This is disturbing.

Oh i went to school in england, actually it was a school that ran under the church of england, they teach that a man with superpowers created the earth in 7days.......... Why? Whats your point pmsl?

Deuterium

Deuterium

Well said, all in all.  However, from my particular Catholic perspective, I do NOT take (as I have said here, before) the Old Testament absolutely literally.  The conceit that "God created us in his own image" is not, IMHO, meant literally...but rather metaphorically.  In other words, God (our Creator) made us as thinking, inquisitive beings, with an innate drive to "create" on our own.  He loved us so much, he infused us with the sacred fire of "creation".  It is this very "grace", and Free Will, that compels us to try to create both Artificial Life (in terms of a conscious, self-aware artificial intelligence), as well as synthetic organic life...not to mention our continuous experiments in search of fundamental physical truths...e.g. Cosmology, and the Standard Model, which is continously tested against observations and experiments from diverse and INDEPENDENT data collected from institutions and programs such as Fermi Lab and CERN, as well as COBE, WMAP, and High-Z supernovae survey, etc...to name but a few.

Master

Master

This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLtgr2T9E#noexternalembed-ws

:)

It was called 'Alien' for a reason - it represented extraterrestrial biology and technology which was literally alien to everything we knew. Alien in mentality. Alien in all possible comprehension.

Few things exemplify this better than Ash's famous speech. The lessons of which applied just as much to the derelict as the creature aboard the Nostromo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxKGxNmWz4#ws

"I admire its purity... A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

Making the Space Jockey look so much like us is a proverbial double-edged sword: In one sense, it reinforces the haunting 'gods made us in the image of themselves' philosophy, but it also detracts from the sheer power of that original thematic narrative.

I'm a fan of trying to put the ET interventionist hypothesis into a legitimately epic film. There's a lot of scope for it. But I think it was a mistake shoe-horning the Space Jockeys, themselves, into that role.

On the other hand, we haven't got any definitive proof that the bald character(s) are one and the same as what goes inside the suits. For all we know, it could be a facehugger/chestburster-like creature which does so. The original prop was geared towards the ideal of something in a symbiotic relationship with the ship, after all. No reason it couldn't essentially be 'controlled' by a symbiotic relationship with a smaller creature.

I do remember that the earliest rumours appeared to suggest that the Space Jockeys and Engineers were going to be two distinctly different species, which gives me hope.

With that said, the boots on these creatures/statues don't do much for me, design-wise...

I started a debate about third race.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=41443.0

But there are no official materials to support that.

Cool pic by the way.

dembones

dembones

Apparently retconned jockey is turning out to be  the least of my objections to this film. I never thought beyond an elephantine skull and a torso since the chair/suit obscured the rest of the body and I never read the SJ comics or pored over Gigers art.

I'm frankly more put off by the human spacesuits which still remind me more of some of today's video games and action/superhero flics than anything in Alien. But this could just be the stills as the suits look fine in the trailer.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: deuterium on Jan 15, 2012, 07:32:36 AMIn other words, God (our Creator) made us as thinking, inquisitive beings, with an innate drive to "create" on our own.  He loved us so much, he infused us with the sacred fire of "creation".  It is this very "grace", and Free Will, that compels us to try to create both Artificial Life (in terms of a conscious, self-aware artificial intelligence), as well as synthetic organic life

A wonderful insight into the Christian scientist. I never imagined I could learn something so deep by reading an Alien forum (I am not being sarcastic). Thanks.

Quote from: deuterium on Jan 15, 2012, 07:32:36 AMIt is this very "grace", and Free Will...

Wait! You mean the free will that we, as thinking, inqusitive beings, discovered that - in our search of fundamental physical truths - does not exist? ;D

-Chris

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed