Another New Picture

Started by Shasvre, Jan 14, 2012, 09:38:57 PM

Author
Another New Picture (Read 60,568 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2012, 12:27:43 AM
I still don't understand the hate for the idea of the Jockey being a humanoid in a suit. Why is that concept bad? No really, I want to understand this. I love the idea that the enemy looks a bit like us (or what we might think is the enemy).
It's potentially bad because the original, iconic Giger design of the Space Jockey, and all the mystery surrounding it, has essentially been reduced to this:

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

You have no clue what species this is, how they act, what they do...me myself i would love to see the SJ as something inspired by Lovecraft, something like Cthulhu. Will i get it? Seems not...i haven't seen the whole thing so i can't judge it yet, simple as that.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Jan 15, 2012, 12:38:36 AM
You have no clue what species this is, how they act, what they do...me myself i would love to see the SJ as something inspired by Lovecraft, something like Cthulhu. Will i get it? Seems not...i haven't seen the whole thing so i can't judge it yet, simple as that.
You may not get Cthulhu, but everything we know about PROMETHEUS so far looks like it is heavily inspired by At the Mountains of Madness. :)

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 14, 2012, 11:31:12 PM
As much as some of us--myself included--are complaining about the Jockey being a suit, I think it's important to remember it was always conceived of as being such. Giger even stated as much in an old interview, indicating that the trunk is actually an airhose for the humanoid inside to breathe through. His original concept art for the Jockey even included a translucent helmet around the head:

Yeah, right.  Please show me official records, transcript, interview, whatever...in which Giger stated this information.  If and when you do, I will make sure I eat crow.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I kind of like how the suits spine appears to be able to fit into the walls; very similar to how the aliens live in the walls of the hive.

ThisBethesdaSea
I still don't understand the hate for the idea of the Jockey being a humanoid in a suit. Why is that concept bad? No really, I want to understand this. I love the idea that the enemy looks a bit like us (or what we might think is the enemy).

Why does a God NEED a nose to breathe oxygen?

Why does a God NEED two ears to 'hear sound energy reverberating through the medium of air' when, presumably being a God, he can just instantaniously intercept ALL thoughts and notions before they are even uttered.

Is this 'Space Kojak' God composed of atoms (and sub-atomic particles) or is he some other form of energy that human science didnt need to bother applying such efforts to understand?

Does Space Kojak have, errrrm, a MEMBER to pro-create? Or is he ETERNAL? But wait, surely thats the whole point of evolution on Earth --> we all live forever THROUGH OUR GENES. We pass on the BEST bits of us to the next generation, through sexual reproduction based on the most favourable current environmental conditions.

[Is that enough?]

tonton

tonton

This is becoming extremely intriguing.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

It would be enough if a side angle, hardly defined image of a humanoid was all we are and we're ever going to see of it. No, we have an image of a something, something witihout context or explanation that so many people are up in arms over. That's what I don't get. I'd actually like to see this film before prematurely judging elements of it without cause or merit.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

I think he is funny...refers to god from the human view all the time but ignores the part that says "God created men in his image"  :laugh:
Oh, and i don't think this movie will 'bout our interpretation of god.

Ruzena

Ruzena

Hmm, ok so my childhood freaking out of weird thing that was sitting there being half chair half totally alien stuff from dark space are reduced to ash.

No more looking up to the stars imagining somewhere in the depths of the space these things scream with their unearthly voices while joined to their own machinery.

Its f**king elephant man in rainboots. Ok I can bet either Lindeloff or the other came up with the stupid idea of raping my childhood terror. Take your ancient astronaut and put it up your ass please lol.

As I watch it more and more they are raping Gigers ideas more and more, looks like jealous artists. Giger came up with brilliant idea nad they simply won't let him work on his own concepts. Every new person jsut takes bits of his genial work and deforms it into some shit. Only the ribs and skeleton is left from the original.

Many of you will probably not understand why I am ranting, but I saw SJ first at the age of 8 and it had HUGE impact ;]

Son I am very dissapoint.

*CRY*

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

You're only disappointed because what you want the space jockeys to be POSSIBLY aren't. This is on you, not Ridley. This film will be brilliant I hope.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2012, 12:27:43 AM

This is why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRLtgr2T9E#noexternalembed-ws

:)

It was called 'Alien' for a reason - it represented extraterrestrial biology and technology which was literally alien to everything we knew. Alien in mentality. Alien in all possible comprehension.

Few things exemplify this better than Ash's famous speech. The lessons of which applied just as much to the derelict as the creature aboard the Nostromo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxKGxNmWz4#ws

"I admire its purity... A survivor. Unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality."

Making the Space Jockey look so much like us is a proverbial double-edged sword: In one sense, it reinforces the haunting 'gods made us in the image of themselves' philosophy, but it also detracts from the sheer power of that original thematic narrative.

I'm a fan of trying to put the ET interventionist hypothesis into a legitimately epic film. There's a lot of scope for it. But I think it was a mistake shoe-horning the Space Jockeys, themselves, into that role.

On the other hand, we haven't got any definitive proof that the bald character(s) are one and the same as what goes inside the suits. For all we know, it could be a facehugger/chestburster-like creature which does so. The original prop was geared towards the ideal of something in a symbiotic relationship with the ship, after all. No reason it couldn't essentially be 'controlled' by a symbiotic relationship with a smaller creature.

I do remember that the earliest rumours appeared to suggest that the Space Jockeys and Engineers were going to be two distinctly different species, which gives me hope.

With that said, the boots on these creatures/statues don't do much for me, design-wise...

Ruzena

Ruzena

WHAT IF WE ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]

ITS she Kojak!

atlantis

atlantis

Its a cool picture.... I love the details...the way the walls are created... Living metal... I bet in original scene... much more dark... and hidden...and as we all know... All these humans in this movie are not important..we want to see the Alien World .....

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Wow, very awesome picture! Creepy, very creepy, and the suits/statues look really great!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed