Thoughts on the Mrs.Yutani Scene In AVP:R?

Started by AlexVelez, Dec 26, 2011, 09:44:38 PM

Author
Thoughts on the Mrs.Yutani Scene In AVP:R? (Read 24,242 times)

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 19, 2012, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 19, 2012, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 19, 2012, 02:21:51 AMIt's too soon to reboot. It's barely been three years since the last one. It was a failed experiment. Just let the damned AvP films die.
No way. Terminator:Salvation resurrected that franchise after the failure that was T3, so there is always hope for AVP.
"Resurrected". Interesting choice for a word. When a person had died a slow and painful death, the last thing you want to do is bring them back to life and put them through the same prolonged misery again.

Terminator: Salivation may or may not have resurrected the franchise, but for that last installment, it gave the corpse spasms which were mistaken for a pulse.

Being put to sleep is slow and painful?  We should be so lucky.  Maybe the sportbike scenes blinded me to the rest of the film, but I thought it was a nice come back to the franchise.  Same for AVP, there is always hope for an epic come back. *Cough* maybe Machiko's story *cough.* Or maybe have a chest buster pop out of one the helicopter survivors.  There is an open door for many posibilities.

maledoro

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 20, 2012, 06:26:06 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 19, 2012, 10:45:03 PM
Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 19, 2012, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Jan 19, 2012, 02:21:51 AMIt's too soon to reboot. It's barely been three years since the last one. It was a failed experiment. Just let the damned AvP films die.
No way. Terminator:Salvation resurrected that franchise after the failure that was T3, so there is always hope for AVP.
"Resurrected". Interesting choice for a word. When a person had died a slow and painful death, the last thing you want to do is bring them back to life and put them through the same prolonged misery again.

Terminator: Salivation may or may not have resurrected the franchise, but for that last installment, it gave the corpse spasms which were mistaken for a pulse.
Being put to sleep is slow and painful?  We should be so lucky.
We weren't. Nobody was.

predxeno

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Jan 20, 2012, 06:26:06 PM
Being put to sleep is slow and painful?  We should be so lucky.  Maybe the sportbike scenes blinded me to the rest of the film, but I thought it was a nice come back to the franchise. 

What didn't like about Terminator Salvation was that it undid a lot of the character development that occurred in previous films; in T2, John Connor is trying to defend the Terminator (the T-801, at least) from his mother and suggesting that they have metaphorical souls.  In T4, the future leader of the Resistance has become a replica of his former mother with all the hatred she had against the machines.

chupacabras acheronsis

it made a lot of sense. John Connor had been to war now. he more than knew that all terminators are killing machines and probably lost many people to them. i think it's interesting how it was dealt with his "loss of inocence" when he faces the CGI T-800. too bad the rest of the movie was freaking stupid.

Snowdog

They also raped the john connor character with the biggest miscast they could've done. Lets cast Christian Bale !!! Doesn't matter he thinks he's playing batman. Or that his voice changes between shots. God that annoyed the hell out of me.

Terx2

Can we get back to the Ms Yutani scene and stop talking about Terminator Salvation please.

SpreadEagleBeagle

As any other scene in the movie it had bad timing, it was badly scripted, badly shot, had bad acting and was utterly redundant.

maledoro

Quote from: Terx2 on Jan 22, 2012, 01:14:01 PMCan we get back to the Ms Yutani scene and stop talking about Terminator Salvation please.
Be careful in what you ask for...
:-X

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 22, 2012, 04:35:24 PMAs any other scene in the movie it had bad timing, it was badly scripted, badly shot, had bad acting and was utterly redundant.
Now that was worth asking for!
;D

AliceApocalypse

The scene was unexpected, exciting to some fans of the EU, and a nice addition to the characters of the franchise.  We see a lot of Weyland, it was interesting to finally see Yutani with weaponry.

Promethean Fire

I suffered through this monstrosity of a movie again recently.  And the coda is just weak sauce fan service.  I've seen the movie with non fans and they just look at each other like "Eh?".  Pretty pointless scene from a filmmaking standpoint.  And if the Strauses want to go with the whole reverse engineering of plasma caster tech spiel, then why didn't they just have OWLF/Yutani Corp discover the freakin' cloaked Predator ship in the lake?  Presumably it was far enough from ground zero to have survived?

Shinawi

I was surprised to see that Yutani and Weyland are both likeable and show no signs of the evil that the Weyland-Yutani Corporation would be depicted as in the games and other films. Ok, Yutani did show a brief suspicious look (at the camera? I don't remember), but I think the scene wasn't long enough to confirm how the company would turn out to be in the future. I wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't watch the Alien movies. To me, Miss Yutani looked like a typical reporter-on-the-scene. I might be biased because I have met a lot of bosses - she didn't resonate the CEO vibe. Since she is the CEO, she is a very hard working and very engaging as shown in AvPR. This raises her likeable factor. Most CEOs rarely work on the scene. They have their workers do the work for them.

predxeno

The same is true for the founder of Grant Corporation in the EU; evil company, not-so-evil founder.

SM

QuoteSince she is the CEO, she is a very hard working and very engaging as shown in AvPR.

You got all that from a 30 second scene, where she has less than half that in screen time and one line of dialogue?

Shinawi

Shinawi

Quote from: SM on Jan 20, 2013, 10:19:57 PM
QuoteSince she is the CEO, she is a very hard working and very engaging as shown in AvPR.

You got all that from a 30 second scene, where she has less than half that in screen time and one line of dialogue?
I guess I'm biased. I work at downtown where I see a lot of young, attractive, and formally dressed business people like her. The closest resemblence to Ms. Yutani is one of our clients. She works at a large company. She is the daughter of the owner. I can't imagine any of them thinking of dangerous weapons to manufacture. I guess that's the thing. Ms. Yutani looks too young to be contemplating tremendously evil things. I don't remember her facial expression when she looked at the blaster. Sadly, I can't find that scene on youtube.

SM

Her facial expression was completely neutral.  Which is in keeping with the rest of the cast of that flick...

And "the daughter of the owner" often has no real reason to be "hard working".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed