Closer look at a possible Space Jockey? (SPOILERS)

Started by JaaayDee, Dec 22, 2011, 07:56:15 PM

Author
Closer look at a possible Space Jockey? (SPOILERS) (Read 75,743 times)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 23, 2011, 07:18:14 AMare you guys forgetting the greatest warewolf movie ever?
No way! Not forgotten at all; one of my favorite films. But it was a comedy. Dog Soldiers wasn't. It had funny moments, but it also has the best onscreen werewolf since, well, forever.. those f**kers were brutal and scary.

Dog Soldiers took it over the line and went all out, but it respected the source material. The AVP films didn't.

-Chris

RICH-ENGLAND

yeah i loved dog soldiers, great movie. but i prefer american warewolf to any other warewolf movie i can think of!.

but anyway, back on topic, so how do we think this suit business is going to work?. will they physically put it on or will it grow out of them or magically materialise? and will the suit then connect itself to the chair avatar style?...

thanks

rich

whiterabbit

"The Space Jockey (or Engineer) well be a humanoid! Let the impending rage begin!"~JaaayDee

Oh man... add a couple of horns and paint him purple cause he screams captain ginyu!

Never say no to Panda!

And who is Guy Pearce then IF this is the SJ?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

@RICH-ENGLAND

My own guess is that the suit is not something that is apart from them, but something that is a part of them. It grows from their own bodies, like a caterpillars cocoon, or a crabs carapace. Why it looks so different from them is probably a function of the ship itself, defined by the beings that created them (I am with you on this; the engineer is the lower being).

The being gets into the chair and grows into it, backwards. I think the chair is inert.

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Dec 23, 2011, 09:27:38 AMAnd who is Guy Pearce then IF this is the SJ?

Guy will be right at the start of the movie, showing everyone how to use a spacesuit, and get blown up by a random mishap. It's his thing. ;)

-Chris

Never say no to Panda!

So he will wear a red shirt like in Star Trek? Damn you, Lindelof...he will do it again!

Edit: Since this is the "official SJ thread" i will drop this one here as well:

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 23, 2011, 09:37:04 AM
@RICH-ENGLAND

My own guess is that the suit is not something that is apart from them, but something that is a part of them. It grows from their own bodies, like a caterpillars cocoon, or a crabs carapace. Why it looks so different from them is probably a function of the ship itself, defined by the beings that created them (I am with you on this; the engineer is the lower being).

The being gets into the chair and grows into it, backwards. I think the chair is inert.

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Dec 23, 2011, 09:27:38 AMAnd who is Guy Pearce then IF this is the SJ?

Guy will be right at the start of the movie, showing everyone how to use a spacesuit, and get blown up by a random mishap. It's his thing. ;)

-Chris
its odd because although im slightly disappointed that this guy might be the sj and smaller than original scale, im still intrigued by the possibilities and i still like the look of his design, .

maybe the other theory is correct that a crew member morphs into this guy from touching something he shouldn't then turns into a slave to the real sjs and sets about awakening them from cryo sleep.

thanks

rich

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 23, 2011, 09:45:58 AMits odd becausealthough im slightly disappointed that this guy might be the sj and smaller than original scale, im still intrigued by the possibilities and i still like the look of his design.
I like the design as well. At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'm still not sold on the size issue:

Looks right to me? And yes the lines are parallel.

-Chris

RICH-ENGLAND

well in some shots on alien and making of shots, the humans look about the length of or shorter than the jockeys arm which if we then add his head and legs we may get a jockey about 14 or 15 feet tall as the humans could be 6ft plus the added height of their helmets/suits and to me he doesn't seem to have such dimensions over the humans in prometheus, and also if we ignore the huge helmet the humans are wearing in alien then the jockeys head is massive compared to a human head but doesnt look anywhere as big in comparison in the lab scanning shot which i personally think makes some of the comparison shots people have made a little misleading. last point is the jockey body/suit in the ampule room doesn't look anywhere near the size of the original but that might just be an odd perspective shot or there could be different size sjs or two different creatures as already theorised.

again we could all be wrong as we aren't seeing the whole story in the trailers/pictures and dont have a great deal to work with making good scale comparisons.

cmdcnqr

Quote from: The Hyena on Dec 22, 2011, 11:07:23 PM
The bitching is starting to get annoying now.  Horror-wise the Xenomorph is nothing now.  Its not even scary.  They can't keep reusing the same monster; so suck it up. (Unless we want a repeat of Aliens (hurpdurpSpaceAnts) or Requiem (Lolpreds and fail aliens))

The problem extends to the Jockey too.  If they didn't pull the Suit trick then...how exactly do they get people to be afraid of the Jockey?

This is the reason why Zombies, Vampires and Werewolves aren't scary in the least any more.  So suck it up and see what Scott gives us.

THANK YOU! Well said. This bitching and whining about the SJ and disappointment and comparisons to other movies is utterly ridiculous. We've been given 67 seconds of footage and every douchebag on the blogosphere is making silly proclamations, confirmations about Prometheus when it's still 6 months out. If the trailer has already let you down, DONT SEE THE F***ING MOVIE. PERIOD.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 23, 2011, 10:19:08 AMagain we could all be wrong as we aren't seeing the whole story in the trailers/pictures and dont have a great deal to work with making good scale comparisons.

But RICH, the lines are parallel! Serendipitously the two shots lineup. The gaffer with the torch gives us an exact indication of the size of the new Jockey chair, and it's BIG. Screw the helmet or the 'corpse'. The Jockey chair is the same size.

Quote from: cmdcnqr on Dec 23, 2011, 10:23:52 AMTHANK YOU! Well said. This bitching and whining about the SJ and disappointment and comparisons to other movies is utterly ridiculous. We've been given 67 seconds of footage and every douchebag on the blogosphere is making silly proclamations, confirmations about Prometheus when it's still 6 months out. If the trailer has already let you down, DONT SEE THE F***ING MOVIE. PERIOD

Short, and pointless. Thanks ;)

-Chris

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Dec 23, 2011, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 23, 2011, 10:19:08 AMagain we could all be wrong as we aren't seeing the whole story in the trailers/pictures and dont have a great deal to work with making good scale comparisons.

But RICH, the lines are parallel! Serendipitously the two shots lineup. The gaffer with the torch gives us an exact indication of the size of the new Jockey chair, and it's BIG. Screw the helmet or the 'corpse'. The Jockey chair is the same size.

Quote from: cmdcnqr on Dec 23, 2011, 10:23:52 AMTHANK YOU! Well said. This bitching and whining about the SJ and disappointment and comparisons to other movies is utterly ridiculous. We've been given 67 seconds of footage and every douchebag on the blogosphere is making silly proclamations, confirmations about Prometheus when it's still 6 months out. If the trailer has already let you down, DONT SEE THE F***ING MOVIE. PERIOD

Short, and pointless. Thanks ;)

-Chris

both of those pictures are from prometheus chris, so again its misleading. now i bet if you compare the ones from alien with the guys in suits or kids in suits walking round the chair they look smaller than that guy does, maybe not massively but just enough to make the sj look a bit smaller

thanks

rich

The Hyena

The Hyena

QuoteLOL, no. Could not disagree more.

Show me another creature which has ever risen to the heights of horror the Alien represented, since more than thirty years ago. There isn't one. Nothing has been that iconic. Virtually everything which has come close has been inspired by it.

Just because it hasn't been treated right since the eighties, doesn't mean a talented film-maker would be incapable of revisiting what made them great.

Well, its gonna need a massive budget and to be based on one of the more unique of EU stories if its to bring even a slight scare.  As we know the lifecycle, we know how the alien hunts, we know the scares used in alien and aliens, we know all the possible uses of the alien; so it needs to be something extremely, extremely inventive because something thats been seen before ain't scary.

I mean, this is the chance to actually expand the Alien universe without having the Xenomorph dominate everything.

xeno killer

This looks amazing and personally i cannot wait!!! 

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RICH-ENGLAND on Dec 23, 2011, 10:19:08 AMboth of those pictures are from prometheus chris, so again its misleading.

I did the comparisons to Alien, and the size difference is negligible IMO. Let's just hope that on screen it feels as big as it did back then.

-Chris

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed