Ghosts, paranormal beings, and everything in-between

Started by DoomRulz, Jul 23, 2011, 04:05:21 AM

Author
Ghosts, paranormal beings, and everything in-between (Read 67,452 times)

maledoro

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PMThats so true, How can we expect to be a rational society when we have Hollywood using junk science as a foundation for movies. People are going to see this and be like "OMG ancient aliens are real!". I can't even imagine how many people are going to get exposed to such to a heayy dose of non-scientific bullshit in this movie.
In case you haven't been paying attention, people are not going to be like, "OMG ancient aliens are real!" from watching Prometheus, they might be that way from reading that interview with Scott.

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PMIn a true scientific society, this movie wouldnt even be allowed to be released.
Spoken like a true Xtian fundie.

KirklandSignature

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 27, 2011, 10:00:25 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PMThats so true, How can we expect to be a rational society when we have Hollywood using junk science as a foundation for movies. People are going to see this and be like "OMG ancient aliens are real!". I can't even imagine how many people are going to get exposed to such to a heayy dose of non-scientific bullshit in this movie.
In case you haven't been paying attention, people are not going to be like, "OMG ancient aliens are real!" from watching Prometheus, they might be that way from reading that interview with Scott.

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Dec 27, 2011, 04:04:20 PMIn a true scientific society, this movie wouldnt even be allowed to be released.
Spoken like a true Xtian fundie.

It's a shame you waste your love on a woman ;)

TheMonolith

I feel such things make good fiction and great conversation.
While I do believe it is possible such things might exist due to the stories of reliable friends and the occasional oddity, I maintain healthy skepticism.

DoomRulz

Nothing wrong with skepticism. I like to keep open to new things though. I don't think there's proof to suggest they do or don't exist so I keep an open mind about it.

TheMonolith

As do I.
I refuse to close myself down to any possibility.
I feel doing so is just as damaging and blindly accepting everything you hear.

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 29, 2011, 01:27:41 AM
Nothing wrong with skepticism. I like to keep open to new things though. I don't think there's proof to suggest they do or don't exist so I keep an open mind about it.
As you should. A common misconception of skeptics is that we shut our minds to everything; we don't. I don't declare that there isn't _____, I just don't believe unless there is some compelling evidence that supports it. I can be swayed.

I've discovered a fairly new pseudoscience magazine (smarmily) called Open Minds. (Too bad your mind has to be so wide open to accept its contents that rain will also fall in.)

DoomRulz

Would you consider the topic of this thread as pseudoscience?

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 29, 2011, 02:59:04 AMWould you consider the topic of this thread as pseudoscience?
Well, uh, gee... Why would I do that?
::)

Vulhala

Mal, you've been through that particular mill. It can't have been an easy transition. I cant understand why, in your position, you wouldn't be first in line with a smile and a cup of tea.

Jus' sayin,'

SM

QuoteI just don't believe unless there is some compelling evidence that supports it.

If the evidence was compelling enough wouldn't your belief be a non-issue?

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 29, 2011, 03:10:42 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 29, 2011, 02:59:04 AMWould you consider the topic of this thread as pseudoscience?
Well, uh, gee... Why would I do that?
::)

I've always seen pseudoscience as more a hobby. People who play it off as legit science, to me, are crazy. Like that show, Alien Encounters. It's such rubbish.

Ghostface

Nothing wrong with a little pseudoscience. Without it, most science fiction would never exist. As they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

As far as people believing in it, well I also don't see the problem. If someone believes in something because they saw it in a movie or heard a director talk about it, then they are clearly quite gullible. Thankfully, these people rarely have any sort of social influence so their misguided beliefs aren't usually passed on. And then sometimes these people run countries.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Vulhala on Dec 29, 2011, 03:25:56 AMMal, you've been through that particular mill. It can't have been an easy transition. I cant understand why, in your position, you wouldn't be first in line with a smile and a cup of tea.
What do you mean?

Quote from: SM on Dec 29, 2011, 04:04:18 AMIf the evidence was compelling enough wouldn't your belief be a non-issue?
Yeah, I'd believe.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 29, 2011, 05:49:02 AMI've always seen pseudoscience as more a hobby. People who play it off as legit science, to me, are crazy. Like that show, Alien Encounters. It's such rubbish.
But, you're in the minority. Most people who tune into those shows, books, websites hang onto their content like it's gospel.

Quote from: Rothschild on Dec 29, 2011, 08:04:23 AMNothing wrong with a little pseudoscience. Without it, most science fiction would never exist. As they say, never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Sci-fi can and does exist without pseudoscience.

Quote from: Rothschild on Dec 29, 2011, 08:04:23 AMAs far as people believing in it, well I also don't see the problem. If someone believes in something because they saw it in a movie or heard a director talk about it, then they are clearly quite gullible. Thankfully, these people rarely have any sort of social influence so their misguided beliefs aren't usually passed on. And then sometimes these people run countries.
So why allow these people to be in harm's way? Everyday, I meet people that I like and they're wearing Power Bracelets and magnetic jewelry thinking that they're working for them instead of spending the same money on legitimate treatment. Yes, they are "clearly quite gullible", but why should they have to be ripped off? And, yes, they do have some sort of social influence in that they tell others about their worthless trinket benefitting them.

Feel free to Google the words "dangers" and "pseudoscience" and read the linked pages to get other examples of why believing in pseudoscience is worthless and sometimes dangerous.

Ghostface

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 29, 2011, 01:00:49 PM
Everyday, I meet people that I like and they're wearing Power Bracelets and magnetic jewelry thinking that they're working for them instead of spending the same money on legitimate treatment.
I meet people everyday that wear crosses and scarfs that they believe heal their wounds. Placebos are a hell of a thing.

QuoteYes, they are "clearly quite gullible", but why should they have to be ripped off? And, yes, they do have some sort of social influence in that they tell others about their worthless trinket benefiting them.

There is always going to be snake oil. People have always believed in the magical healing powers of some latest gizmo. I do feel sorry for people who genuinely do not have the ability to research for themselves the "science" behind such things, but I have little sympathy for the average everyday sheep that get sucked in when they really should know better. A fool and their money.

TheMonolith

Skepticism is your friend.
This way you can weed out the fakes and it is easier to recognize a legitimate case if and when one comes up.
Also, you can find a way to recognize someone who is either so full of themselves they believe the crap they are saying, or see who is intentionally being a fraud, which helps you meet more reliable individuals when it comes to such things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed