The 'last thing you bought' thread

Started by Effectz, Jun 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM

Author
The 'last thing you bought' thread (Read 391,422 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Curse you Avengers hype and the money you make me spend! Well, at least I have an awesome Hulk and Heimdall (on top of my Tony Stark and Agent Coulson from yesterday) to show for it :P

Shasvre

Shasvre

Impressive size on that Hulk.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Went out to open a new checking account, wandered into the Petsmart next door, and became guilt tripped into buying an anole because of the hideous conditions the poor things are kept under. They look miserable. So for $8, I thought "why not" and got this little lady (at least I think it's a lady--she doesn't have a dewlap, so...):

So horribly mistreated at the pet store it likely wont live past a few weeks, but it put its paws on the glass when I put my hand up, and I figured for the price of dinner I could at least let it know some peace in the few weeks it probably has left. She's got scars and a tear on her throat from where she's been attacked or fought with other anoles in her tank (there are only supposed to be 2-3 anoles a tank max, and there were around 12...). Will be keeping her in my old butterfly garden on the back porch, so she can actually experience the sunshine for likely the first time in months.

Thinking about naming her Noomi. :)

Nightmare Asylum

That's really nice, Cvalda. And Noomi is a great name :) Sucks how they're being treated in the store, though... :-\

I had one of those myself as a pet a few years ago, named him Kit. Found out pretty early on he was a male when he started showing the dewlap. Made for a great pet, and lasted quite a long time as well.

Eva

Eva

You have a good heart Cvalda. Please let us now how Noomi is doing... I hope she makes it now that she's with someone who actually cares  :)

coolbreeze

That's wonderful Cvalda. I have a soft spot in my heart for Rats and Reptiles. Going into pet stores is absolutely heartbreaking.

Deathbearer

It's adorable! I hope it lives. I've always had a thing for reptiles.

Eva

Eva

Something I've seen repeatedly at pet stores, are guinea pigs, hamsters and chinchillas living in cages right next to dozens of bird cages and if there's one thing they don't like at all, it's high pitched sounds  >:(

coolbreeze

Quote from: Eva on Apr 21, 2012, 11:18:34 PM
Something I've seen repeatedly at pet stores, are guinea pigs, hamsters and chinchillas living in cages right next to dozens of bird cages and if there's one thing they don't like at all, it's high pitched sounds  >:(

Yep. Small animals and birds are always in the same area. Sometimes I think it would be better if pet stores only sold food and supplies and not pets.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Noomi's all set up on the back porch now. She's turned green, which means she's not as stressed as she was. She was perpetually brown at the pet store, which means she definitely wasn't having a good time. She's got a big space to romp around in now, and she just ate her first cricket. ;D

Eva

Eva

Finally them bugs can be of some good use then  ;)

Yeah coolbreeze - there should at the very least be some regulations for pet store owners, dealing with such issues. It can't be that hard to keep the rodents next to the fish aquariums, instead of next to the bird cages.

First Blood

Congratulations on your new friend, Cvalda. She's beautiful. :)

And the name. So much win.

coolbreeze

Quote from: Eva on Apr 21, 2012, 11:53:45 PM
Finally them bugs can be of some good use then  ;)

Yeah coolbreeze - there should at the very least be some regulations for pet store owners, dealing with such issues. It can't be that hard to keep the rodents next to the fish aquariums, instead of next to the bird cages.

Never mind regulations, I'd be happy if they showed some common sense...

Nightmare Asylum

Cvalda, out of curiosity, I saw you said that you have the lizard outside in a garden, does that give it too much sun? I only ask because I kept mine indoors (with a light of course), and I had the misfortune of witnessing a lizard (not mine, and it was an Iguana, not an Anole) roll over and die from too much sun outside. :(

Needless to say, it was a rather scarring experience to see that, and I just want make sure its not the same with these lizards.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 22, 2012, 02:04:10 AM
Cvalda, out of curiosity, I saw you said that you have the lizard outside in a garden, does that give it too much sun? I only ask because I kept mine indoors (with a light of course), and I had the misfortune of witnessing a lizard (not mine, and it was an Iguana, not an Anole) roll over and die from too much sun outside. :(
She's kept on a porch, so there's only indirect sunlight. I actually took her inside a few hours ago because it is getting chilly out and I didnt want her to get too cold. Stupid inconsistent California temperatures :P
Also had to fish out the extra crickets in her enclosure, which was a major pain in the ass--it's a big butterfly garden, like one of those big mesh cloth enclosures you grow butterflies in. She's curled up amidst some branches sleeping now. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed