The 'last thing you bought' thread

Started by Effectz, Jun 17, 2011, 04:32:20 PM

Author
The 'last thing you bought' thread (Read 396,077 times)

Darwinsgirl

Went to a local toy show Sunday hoping to find some ALIEN Covenant figures. Sadly none.

I did get The Kenner ALIEN Hive play set complete in original box,instructions,pieces in bags,unopened ooze even an extra order form for more ooze. :laugh:

I have most all of the Kenner single figures on cards. So this was a nice addition. I got this for the amazing price of $60!   ;D

xeno_alpha_07

Living in a one-bedroom attic flat, I don't have space for a CB and amateur radio antenna, and my request for having an antenna on the roof was denied. So, I bought a Magnetic Loop antenna on eBay that I can use indoors for both CB and amateur radio. I can't wait for it to arrive. Here's an image from eBay.

No more using handhelds.

Darwinsgirl

You should be able to pick up a Transmission from an unknown source with that... :)

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 31, 2024, 02:02:21 PMYou should be able to pick up a Transmission from an unknown source with that... :)

Acoustical beacons that repeat at intervals of 12 seconds  :laugh: you never know  ;)

Prez

Prez

Op shop hunting day and found a copy of Max Brooks' World War Z novel for $3 and also my mate, Keith Banks', biography Drugs, Guns & Lies about his life as an undercover cop.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on May 31, 2024, 12:49:48 PMLiving in a one-bedroom attic flat, I don't have space for a CB and amateur radio antenna, and my request for having an antenna on the roof was denied. So, I bought a Magnetic Loop antenna on eBay that I can use indoors for both CB and amateur radio. I can't wait for it to arrive. Here's an image from eBay.

No more using handhelds.

What's your callsign? I used to have the 1st 2 licenses. Iirc I had M3USM or M3UCM and then 2E0HKS. Never did pass my full license. I really didn't want to be studying for it at that point in my life.  :laugh: Grumpy teenager.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 03, 2024, 02:24:46 PM
Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on May 31, 2024, 12:49:48 PMLiving in a one-bedroom attic flat, I don't have space for a CB and amateur radio antenna, and my request for having an antenna on the roof was denied. So, I bought a Magnetic Loop antenna on eBay that I can use indoors for both CB and amateur radio. I can't wait for it to arrive. Here's an image from eBay.

No more using handhelds.

What's your callsign? I used to have the 1st 2 licenses. Iirc I had M3USM or M3UCM and then 2E0HKS. Never did pass my full license. I really didn't want to be studying for it at that point in my life.  :laugh: Grumpy teenager.

Hi Hicks,

I'm still on my foundation license with the callsign M7WYC (WYC stands for Weyland Yutani Corp). I've been planning to get my Intermediate license but haven't managed to do study/sort it yet. Recently, Ofcom made some changes to the licenses, so now I'm legally allowed to use 25 watts of power along with some other benefits for foundation license holders, though I can't recall all the specifics.

I also operate on CB with the handle 'Sandman,' and my Freeband/11m callsign is 26 AK 249, another Aliens reference, lol. Do you still operate?

Acid_Reign161

Ok, forgive my complete ignorance on this subject (but what I'm reading sounds interesting!) ...you need a license to chat over the radio?? 😅 I always figured you simply set up and talk! 😅

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: xeno_ :) alpha_07 on Jun 03, 2024, 02:47:02 PMI also operate on CB with the handle 'Sandman,' and my Freeband/11m callsign is 26 AK 249, another Aliens reference, lol. Do you still operate?

I'm at a loss for making the ALIENS reference? ::)

Do tell please :)

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 03, 2024, 04:23:39 PMI'm at a loss for making the ALIENS reference? ::)

Do tell please :)

From the Aliens Special Edition:

"Mayday, Mayday! This is Alpha Kilo Two Four Niner calling Hadleys Hope!"

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jun 03, 2024, 03:56:22 PMOk, forgive my complete ignorance on this subject (but what I'm reading sounds interesting!) ...you need a license to chat over the radio?? 😅 I always figured you simply set up and talk! 😅

To operate Amateur (Ham) radio, you need a license. However, CB radio is license-free  :)

Wysps

Wysps

Just purchased some buttons for a shirt I'm working on.  Never in my life would I have spent 25 bucks on buttons, but here we are. 

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 03, 2024, 08:53:21 PMJust purchased some buttons for a shirt I'm working on.  Never in my life would I have spent 25 bucks on buttons, but here we are. 

Film media buttons or buttons for apparel(brass or ornate)?

I've ordered some loot crate ALIEN pins. Fun stuff.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on Jun 03, 2024, 10:39:12 PM
Quote from: Wysps on Jun 03, 2024, 08:53:21 PMJust purchased some buttons for a shirt I'm working on.  Never in my life would I have spent 25 bucks on buttons, but here we are. 

Film media buttons or buttons for apparel(brass or ornate)?

I've ordered some loot crate ALIEN pins. Fun stuff.

Apparel  :) Shirting buttons that are kind of pearlescent.

What are film media buttons? Are those like the pins that people put into hats and such?

Darwinsgirl

Some are commercially made with art photos from the films. To wear on clothing / jackets. Mostly I collect buttons related to the first ALIEN FILM.

I imagine antique garment buttons are sought after by costume designers and vintage clothing collectors. I'm old enough that we had a button jar that held loose buttons for replacement when I was a child.

Wysps

Wysps

I used to save up extra buttons too and had them in a plastic bag.  I had accrued about 15 years worth! I finally mustered up the strength last year to toss the whole thing, since I had never once used any of them.  Thinking about it, I probably should have donated the bag  :-\ I had never thought about someone actually being interested in random buttons, but they're really useful for home sewn projects and the like.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed