Prometheus Banner...

Started by Darkoo, Jun 14, 2011, 06:20:02 PM

Author
Prometheus Banner... (Read 45,904 times)

Pn2501

Pn2501

mals gonna come in here and shit all over this in 3.2.1.....

Ghostface

Ghostface

Pn2501

CainsSon

CainsSon

Come on! You seriously think the Art Dept on a film like this wouldn't make that connection?

Also, I just thought of this, the inscription above that statues head, at ROCKEFELLER CENTER is written in that FONT!! It's in huge letters across the top of the promenade. Trust me, I work there from time to time in the NBC building. I wish I could remember what the f**k that inscription says, right now. I dunno that it would relate but boy do I wish I could remember it.

You do know the statue I'm talking about, right? 

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 15, 2011, 04:39:36 AM
Also, I just thought of this, the inscription above that statues head, at ROCKEFELLER CENTER is written in that FONT!!

Its a different font dude.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Ghostface on Jun 15, 2011, 04:42:12 AM
Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 15, 2011, 04:39:36 AM
Also, I just thought of this, the inscription above that statues head, at ROCKEFELLER CENTER is written in that FONT!!

Its a different font dude.

Im looking at the picture right now. Its the same font. I dunno what you are looking at.

It just says "Prometheus, teacher in every art, brought the fire that hath proved to mortals a means to mighty ends."

The font is undeniably identical. The R's are quite specific and recognizable when compared. I'm telling you dude. Ive spent countless lunch breaks in Rockefeller Plaza looking at it.

Ridley is a graduate of an Art Institute. Im sure the Art Dept of Prometheus knows what they are doing when they tap an ART DECO font and attach it to the word 'PROMETHEUS'!

Ghostface

Ghostface

Different E's. Lots of Sans-Serif fonts look the same. Could almost be any of these:

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=501&text=PROMETHEUS

Pn2501

Pn2501

a:) it's probably not exactly the same.

b.) it could only be a stand in title font, ( things could change)

c.) its not the only building made in the 30's that had art deco stylings, the empire state is the first one that come to my mind,

i think its very premature jump to conclusions about the fonts meaning, i'm only looking at it from a stylistic point ( which i might add is a very tenuous one ), and certainly not a metaphorical one.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Pn2501 on Jun 15, 2011, 04:52:28 AM
a:) it's probably not exactly the same.

b.) it could only be a stand in title font, ( things could change)

c.) its not the only building made in the 30's that had art deco stylings, the empire state is the first one that come to my mind,

i think its very premature jump to conclusions about the fonts meaning, i'm only looking at it from a stylistic point ( which i might add is a very tenuous one ), and certainly not a metaphorical one.

Ok but I think you are crazy saying the font is removed. That font is next to identical. One can imagine that statue below the title on that poster easily. It is clearly art deco and referenced here. Ridley is a graduate of an Art Institute. Im sure the Art Dept of Prometheus knows what they are doing when they tap an ART DECO font and attach it to the word 'PROMETHEUS'! What are you talking about? The phrase even talks about Prometheus. Do you think the title has no meaning either?

I think maybe you are reading into my words too much. I'm not trying to suggest that Rockefeller Center or the 1930's necessarily have anything to do with the movie. Im just saying they are referencing it for some reason. Post-modernism pretty much assimilates anything at this point. It could mean anything. The ships could have an art deco design for all I know...

Do you realize the cultural relevance of ROCKEFELLER CENTER? There is no way in hell, that the font isn't connected in spirit to that statue of PROMETHEUS. It's one of the most famous statues in all of history, and one of the most infamous myths of all time. Do you really think anyone working in the art dept of a film called PROMETHEUS would be unaware of the connection b/w that myth and that statue?

Let me restate that I work in the NBC building there from time to time. These people know what they are doing.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Look at the R's and E's. Different font.

There is also Prometheus statues in Chernobyl and at the entrance of the vatican museum as well as countless others. Prometheus is no different to any other greek god, they have been imortalised in art over and over. Not seeing the connection only to Rockafella.

Pn2501

Pn2501

What ghost said ^ and

I never said the title had no meaning. Its clearly connected to the myth Ridley has said so himself.

Whilst it's a great theory, and who knows you could be right, it just reeks of wild speculation as its still too early to tell anything.

I'm sorry i brought it up  :)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Pn2501 on Jun 15, 2011, 05:22:46 AM
What ghost said ^ and

I never said the title had no meaning. Its clearly connected to the myth Ridley has said so himself.

Whilst it's a great theory, and who knows you could be right, it just reeks of wild speculation as its still too early to tell anything.

I'm sorry i brought it up  :)

Right you didn't though. I hadnt read your post when I mentioned it.

I have seen the differences and they are mild. The font is still uncannily similar. Those are stylistically art deco fonts. You cannot attach ART DECO to that word and NOT be pushing the stylistic link.
Yes PROMETHEUS is a popular statue but that particular statue is well past formidable. It is beyond famous. It is arguably one of the most famous statues ever created. You are thinking too narrowly. WHEN PEOPLE THINK STATUE OF PROMETHEUS, THEY THINK THIS STATUE. NOT THE ONE ANYWHERE ELSE. THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY STATUE OF PROMETHEUS IN ROCKEFELLER PLAZA THAT TOURISTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD SPECIFICALLY TRAVEL TO SEE. PEOPLE DONT VISIT THE VATICAN AND ENVISION THAT STATUE OF PROMETHEUS. They think of the Sistine Chapel, and etc.. This is one of the most famous statues in the world. Possibly in the top 5 and certainly in the top 10.

Also, you dont make much sense, you agree about the ART DECO but think it just happens to be a coincidence that it connects to what is likely one of the most famous art deco works of art, in existence. Even if it happens to have the same title and mythical attachment? That's just silly. Oh yeah that legendary art deco statue of PROMETHEUS in one of the worlds biggest tourist attractions. Yeah we weren't trying to assimilate or borrow anything there. Just a coincidence? Don't you think that sounds a bit absurd?

The actors have expressed specifically that the story relates to the story of Prometheus bringing fire from the gods. How can you think the idea to use the art deco font does not relate to that statue? It's silly. Of course thats the stylistic reference. Come on. You're under and over thinking it.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Personally when someone says "Prometheus" I think of the character of Greek mythology, not a statue made of him. And as I said, the font is just a fairly standard Issue Sans-Serif font, I use dozens of them daily. Nice theory though, but I'd say it's too early to speculating and to do so would be clutching at straws.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 15, 2011, 05:37:52 AM
Just a coincidence? Don't you think that sounds a bit absurd?

Yes i do think its a coincidence regarding your association to the Rockefeller buliding.

Art deco as a style is based off classical egyptian, Greco-Roman, and aztec styles, which is said to originate in the popular interest in archaeology during the 20' and 30's. Promethus is a classical greek myth ( oh shit a connection :o ).

The artist who designed the font would have used the art deco style because its a more modern and somewhat futuristic design reference in regards to classical greek art, combine that with the fact that fonts like futura, Gotham ( a derivative of futura, which was used as a basis for inception font as i referenced in my first post ) are all from the same time period, are extremely popular right now. 

You know what sounds absurd?

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 15, 2011, 04:01:45 AM
Could it be a reference to the illuminati or something along those lines? Maybe the Company? I dunno. It's a very curious reference.

jussayin.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 15, 2011, 04:01:45 AM
Could it be a reference to the illuminati or something along those lines? Maybe the Company? I dunno. It's a very curious reference.
All from a font? Nah. This is total Barnum, here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed