Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Started by Shasvre, Apr 20, 2011, 05:16:05 PM

Author
Thor: The Dark World (2013) (Read 202,024 times)

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: bloodinthemud on Nov 04, 2013, 08:04:03 AM
I went in not expecting much, came out feeling like I got even less, it felt like it had potential, it was just extremely limited in it's execution, it felt sort of empty... the first one felt similar, but it still made for light entertainment, at least they had that ice battle to showcase Thor's skills, this one he's just... running around, hits a few people with very generic moves, pwns a walking rock in a cheap overused gag that's been spoiled in the trailers anyway, then runs around the rest of the movie doing sweet FA until the very underwhelming finale. The bad guy sucked and was very unconvincing, I never once felt like he was a legit threat, nor did I feel that the power of the liquid thingy was something to be worried about, it was only something to be thinking about because the movie said so... The problem with movies is, execution speaks louder then actions or words. An alien race invading is only as dramatic as the director's ability to create drama, otherwise you're just left sitting there thinking, oh look that ship is invading, that's no good, let's wait for the good guys to do something about that... and the director didn't deliver. Darcy stole the show. Thor 1 was better. Bring back arrogant battle craving pre exile Thor. He can still be good or whatever, but at least give him that brash character... The culture clash was the best part of thor 1 imo, we need more of that. Also with each movie I feel they depower him more and more.

Spoiler
The captain america cameo was a glimmer of greatness in an otherwise dull movie
[close]

I feel like we didn't watch the same movie.

blood.

blood.

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Nov 04, 2013, 08:44:00 AM
Quote from: bloodinthemud on Nov 04, 2013, 08:04:03 AM
I went in not expecting much, came out feeling like I got even less, it felt like it had potential, it was just extremely limited in it's execution, it felt sort of empty... the first one felt similar, but it still made for light entertainment, at least they had that ice battle to showcase Thor's skills, this one he's just... running around, hits a few people with very generic moves, pwns a walking rock in a cheap overused gag that's been spoiled in the trailers anyway, then runs around the rest of the movie doing sweet FA until the very underwhelming finale. The bad guy sucked and was very unconvincing, I never once felt like he was a legit threat, nor did I feel that the power of the liquid thingy was something to be worried about, it was only something to be thinking about because the movie said so... The problem with movies is, execution speaks louder then actions or words. An alien race invading is only as dramatic as the director's ability to create drama, otherwise you're just left sitting there thinking, oh look that ship is invading, that's no good, let's wait for the good guys to do something about that... and the director didn't deliver. Darcy stole the show. Thor 1 was better. Bring back arrogant battle craving pre exile Thor. He can still be good or whatever, but at least give him that brash character... The culture clash was the best part of thor 1 imo, we need more of that. Also with each movie I feel they depower him more and more.

Spoiler
The captain america cameo was a glimmer of greatness in an otherwise dull movie
[close]

I feel like we didn't watch the same movie.

the best way i can describe it is that it felt empty. The landscape felt empty, the characters felt empty, everything felt empty. Like everything was an afterthought quickly patched on there to fill it up and the only thing that even had any effort in developing was Thor and Jane and even then there wasn't much going on, there were plenty of ideas, but they seemed more hinted at then anything, such as the potential rivalry between sif and Jane for thor's affection, among other things that I don't want to spoil for people who haven't seen it yet. The warriors three have even less time in this film then the last, Idris Elba's character gets a bit more time, Loki gets to have screen time, but like all the ideas in the film, they're empty. They get played out once, then the film moves on to the next shallow idea and so on.

Spoiler
Don't even get me started on the bad guy. He's the weakest character in the movie including Dary's intern. The only reason you know he's the main bad guy is because all the other bad guys don't get any dialogue. Of course they try to give you a reason to hate him, he kills thor's mother, but like all the other ideas it's shallow, empty. The way it's executed leaves you not really caring. It's not at all that good a storytelling film. But that's not what anyone expects when going to these comic book movies. Over the top fantastical action will do fine for most and there's hardly any decent amounts of that.

Another example is the frost giant dog thingy, there's potential to work with that thing, instead it just shows up and is forgotten until the post credits scene. Another empty idea. The whole movie is empty.
[close]

Magegg

Magegg

Yeah, I can understand what scarhunter thinks. I prefer the first one two, because there was more family drama and that kept you invested. But I was entertained by the movie all the way.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Just got back from seeing this. It was, much like Iron Man 3, very ''meh''. It wasn't bad but wasn't good either, just underwhelming. So far I'm finding this 2nd batch of Marvel movies very disappointing. I really hope Winter Soldier & Age of Ultron turn out better than IM3 & Thor 2.
I thought Christopher Ecclestons villain was particulary weak out of a bunch of weak villains. Very poor really. Wish Mads had taken the role.
I also must vent this; movie Thor is a very underpowered and poor shadow of the comic version.

Nightmare Asylum

Do any of the villains have any real standout moments/characteristics?

And how does the movie seem like it will be on a second viewing? Better? Worse?

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 04, 2013, 05:22:43 PMDo any of the villains have any real standout moments/characteristics?
No.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 04, 2013, 05:22:43 PMAnd how does the movie seem like it will be on a second viewing? Better? Worse?
I wouldn't watch it again. Surprise factor is over and the plot was pretty much something taken out of thin air (uuh, there was a very old monster thousands and years ago, now there's a cosmic phenomenon and he woke up and wants to destroy the universe).

The only reason I would is to try to understand more how does the aether work.

Nightmare Asylum

Hmm, 'surprise factor' isn't really an issue with me when it comes to rewatching movies. Holding out for some character-centric deleted scenes, I guess. Seems like that's where the editors seemed to go at it the most.

Friday I'm just gonna go in expecting a fun time, and I'm sure I'm gonna like it :)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 04, 2013, 05:22:43 PMDo any of the villains have any real standout moments/characteristics?

Kurse is pretty awesome all the way through. Nothing special when it comes to character, but he's a f**king beast.

Also, Malekith and Kurse share a scene that's pretty powerful, even though it's more due to what they do againt a certain character than anything coming from their own characters.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

You know, I think 2 of the problems with this are...

Spoiler
Very weak villains. Pathetically weak villains. Thor doesn't really do anything. Loki kills Kurse. Malekith isn't so much defeated by Thor but more teleported away and squished by a falling ship. Thor just doesn't seem to be all that heroic and the villains are dull.
[close]

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on Nov 04, 2013, 07:06:05 PM
Spoiler
Very weak villains. Pathetically weak villains. Thor doesn't really do anything. Loki kills Kurse. Malekith isn't so much defeated by Thor but more teleported away and squished by a falling ship. Thor just doesn't seem to be all that heroic and the villains are dull.
[close]
Mmmh, the villains were good.
Kurse was menacing enough and managed to do many things. As for Malekith
Spoiler
His use of the aether was really disappointing. However, you can see him as a megalomaniac villain who had no actual fighting skills yet he demanded to be the one to destroy the universe (and failed). He was desperate and driven mad after the genocide of his race, there was not much that he could do.
[close]

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Am I the only one who thinks this is the best CBM of the year? :-[

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Nov 04, 2013, 09:07:40 PMAm I the only one who thinks this is the best CBM of the year? :-[
No :D The guys of some podcast I listen often think the same, they also said it was better than Man of Steel and -albeit slightly- than Kick Ass 2.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Nov 04, 2013, 09:07:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is the best CBM of the year? :-[

I do too!

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: Magegg on Nov 04, 2013, 09:14:05 PM
Quote from: scarhunter92 on Nov 04, 2013, 09:07:40 PMAm I the only one who thinks this is the best CBM of the year? :-[
No :D The guys of some podcast I listen often think the same, they also said it was better than Man of Steel and -albeit slightly- than Kick Ass 2.

i thought it was better than man of steel and kick-ass. shame because the first kickass was awesome but the second missed Vaughn and Goldmans work so much.

Nightmare Asylum

Accidentally stumbled on a scene of you-know-who from the mid-credits scene and I quite liked the look. Kind of ridiculous, but also a lot of fun :D

Can't wait for Friday to see how it all plays out!

THOR: TDW: Jaimie Alexander On Wanting to See Evil Sif; Turning Down Tough-Girl Roles

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/notyetamovie/news/?a=89572#lzJA17C5zb89pxWs.99

I'd love to see her play
Spoiler
Loki
[close]
:)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed