Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Started by Shasvre, Apr 20, 2011, 05:16:05 PM

Author
Thor: The Dark World (2013) (Read 202,044 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Hiddleston was actually originally auditioning for the role of Thor, wasn't he? I'm glad that he's Loki, though; he is one of the main attractions of the MCU for me.

BANE

BANE

QuoteHulk must have been all over the news worldwide
As a blurry sasquatch, if we take into account the newspaper reports from TIH, based on brief sightings. Hardly ingrained in public memory.

QuoteCap is probably one of the most well known faces of WWII.
Fair enough. I just don't know how many people nowadays would know about him.

QuoteIt doesn't matter that no one anywhere knows who Iron Man or any of the others are. What the public sees, via the news etc coverage, is that an alien force attacked, and these people who are more extraordinary than the average citizen, leader, or military person, stepped up to fight. If they were defeated, it would make most people wonder "what chance do I have to defeat him?"

YES, they'd still mobilize the military, but they'd also be demoralized. Part of the fight would already be won. It's like Musashi, who felt you didn't have true victory unless your opponent knew they would be defeated before you even did it.

So, to that end, sure, they could have invaded starting anywhere, as long as it was a large city with lots of witnesses and possibilities of heavy coverage from the media. New York was chosen because of Stark Tower.
Alright, fair enough. His plan, then, was to wage war in the hometown of superhumans, a place with literally no tactical advantages. Fine. Washington would also have worked, and he could have defeated the Avengers there, too, whilst also taking out a world leader. Double Whammy. The Avengers aren't restricted to one place. They can go anywhere.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Well....I guess they should have had Stark Tower in DC then.

BANE

BANE

Why?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:23:58 PMAs a blurry sasquatch, if we take into account the newspaper reports from TIH, based on brief sightings. Hardly ingrained in public memory.

There's the footage from campus. Don't know how well that looked. Or how many that filmed it. Same can be said for the fight between him and Blonsky. Something like that doesn't go unnoticed.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:23:58 PMFair enough. I just don't know how many people nowadays would know about him.

With the level of attention he got and the propaganda movies they made, I think he would almost be remembered as well as Hitler, Churchill and Stalin.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:23:58 PM
QuoteHulk must have been all over the news worldwide
As a blurry sasquatch, if we take into account the newspaper reports from TIH, based on brief sightings. Hardly ingrained in public memory.

But post TIH, after he made two huge appearances the university and New York), I'm sure good photos and and solid evidence surfaced, thus throwing him more into the public eye.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:23:58 PM

So, to that end, sure, they could have invaded starting anywhere, as long as it was a large city with lots of witnesses and possibilities of heavy coverage from the media. New York was chosen because of Stark Tower.
Alright, fair enough. His plan, then, was to wage war in the hometown of superhumans, a place with literally no tactical advantages. Fine. Washington would also have worked, and he could have defeated the Avengers there, too, whilst also taking out a world leader. Double Whammy. The Avengers aren't restricted to one place. They can go anywhere.

[/quote]

Loki wasn't about taking out leaders, he was about putting on a show and manipulating his way to the top. With The Avengers destroyed in front of an audience, he had free reign. Why would the general population listen to their president or other leader if Loki is simply going to make them (forcibly, if he must) do otherwise?

Shasvre

Shasvre

To be fair, I don't think Loki or the Chitauri would have been much of a threat once SHIELD showed that nuke up their ass.

Nightmare Asylum

Haha, very true. But who knows what other tricks they had up in that ship? :P

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 23, 2012, 07:23:31 PM
Hiddleston was actually originally auditioning for the role of Thor, wasn't he? I'm glad that he's Loki, though; he is one of the main attractions of the MCU for me.

Oh, that could be - I wouldn't know about that. I just noiced that Hiddleston starred in a series where the Thor director starred as well, a series made just before Thor, so I sort of put 2 and 2 together on my own accord  :D

BANE

BANE

The footage shown in the videos Coulson gave Tony, and the news report Tony saw at the end of Iron Man 2, were different, judging by the angles. No student was close enough to have videotaped the stuff Coulson gave him (and Cap, for that matter), whereas the student video showed nothing of the actual Hulk.

As for Captain America, good points.

QuoteLoki wasn't about taking out leaders, he was about putting on a show and manipulating his way to the top.
In that case, the fact he simply didn't just teleport himself into the white house and take control of the President Baffles me. Or someone else of high rank to gain control of possible military enemies.

QuoteWith The Avengers destroyed in front of an audience, he had free reign.
Of a small part of the world. And even then, I sincerely doubt everyone would go "Alright, he's our leader" just like that, after six people got beaten.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the awesome movie, by the way. I just think Loki chose the most idiotic route possible.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:26:43 PM
Why?

As stated SEVERAL times, Stark Tower was part of his damn plan. He needed it to control the Tesseract.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:38:14 PM
QuoteLoki wasn't about taking out leaders, he was about putting on a show and manipulating his way to the top.
In that case, the fact he simply didn't just teleport himself into the white house and take control of the President Baffles me. Or someone else of high rank to gain control of possible military enemies.

QuoteWith The Avengers destroyed in front of an audience, he had free reign.
Of a small part of the world. And even then, I sincerely doubt everyone would go "Alright, he's our leader" just like that, after six people got beaten.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the awesome movie, by the way. I just think Loki chose the most idiotic route possible.

They weren't six people. THey were six of the best, strongest, smartest, and most capable. THe whole world would see this. Yes, they'd still put up a fight, but it would be clear regular people wouldn't stand a chance.

I love arguments where I get to simply counter with the same response every time.

BANE

BANE

QuoteAs stated SEVERAL times, Stark Tower was part of his damn plan. He needed it to control the Tesseract.
That's part of the problem though: the SHIELD base was already used to activate the Tesseract, indicating the special power supply of the Tower isn't actually required. The metal was needed to prevent collapse, but they got that.

Or did they explicitly state in the movie that "We need more power!"?

Shasvre

Shasvre

If I remember correctly, SHIELD never activated the Cube themself. Wasn't it activated from the other side?

BANE

BANE

By Loki, I think. And he says Thanos taught him its workings.

I think all this is just me not remembering stuff.

Ruadh

Ruadh

Quote from: BANE on Jul 23, 2012, 07:53:22 PM
QuoteAs stated SEVERAL times, Stark Tower was part of his damn plan. He needed it to control the Tesseract.
That's part of the problem though: the SHIELD base was already used to activate the Tesseract, indicating the special power supply of the Tower isn't actually required. The metal was needed to prevent collapse, but they got that.

Or did they explicitly state in the movie that "We need more power!"?

Yes...it was explicitly stated in the movie that Stark Tower and its arc reactor were needed to open the portal.

So...Stark Tower...defeating earth's mightiest publicly...NYC.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed