The eggs on the derelict (Aliens)

Started by Infected, Apr 01, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Author
The eggs on the derelict (Aliens) (Read 16,399 times)

monkeylove

From what I remember, Ripley reported what she encountered to the company. That means before they sent off the team they knew about the eggs, the alien, etc.

pred169

Quote from: monkeylove on Apr 03, 2015, 05:21:59 AM
From what I remember, Ripley reported what she encountered to the company. That means before they sent off the team they knew about the eggs, the alien, etc.

We are referring to the events before the second film.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 03, 2015, 02:06:51 AM
Sil I have military and law enforcement background. Trust me.....you don't make a crew expendable on the off chance that the organism MIGHT be hostile. If a team is sent in to retrieve a lifeform under the pretenses that they are expendable......higher ups are counting on there being losses, Not simply saying it as a precaution.
It's space travel in a fictional movie in a fictional universe. The point is that the company is faceless and apathetic. They don't care if the crew die, but they're a company -- it's obviously better if they don't. They're just willing to take that chance.

pred169

Yeah i get that its a fictional movie but the point of back story even in a fictional movie is to seem as close to real as possible. So i dont know Seems thin man. Even for corporate. I mean just the chance of lawsuits and litigation would be enough to stop most companies. For them to take a chance on an organism and be willing to expend the crew to gain access to said organism would be proof enough for me that they knew it was hostile.

SiL

SiL

If they knew there was something specific there and that it was definitely hostile and they really, really wanted it, they would've sent a properly equipped team. We know this, because it's exactly what they did the one time they explicitly knew about the Alien and went to get it -- Alien3.

Everything in the movie speaks to them knowing "something" is there, but not what; that they'd like "it", and that they're okay if it goes south so long as it comes back.

pred169

Precisely! .....they knew "it" was hostile. There could be several reasons they didn't send a properly equipped team. It could have been that they felt time was of the escense and they were worried about someone else getting there first to stake a claim on it. It could have been that they felt an anvanced android and a group of miners could handle the organism with minimal losses. They anticipated losses but not a whole crew. The fact that they sent in an armed well equipped team in alien 3 is irrelevant. The events on the nostromo could have very well been why the team arrived as they did in alien 3.  Armed and prepared and not wanting to make the same mistake again. It could even be that WY had sent it's best men and tech to the other planet where the events of prometheus took place.  I'm sure the company kept tabs on the flight recorder from prometheus and knew the planet was basically a weapons depot. They may have been enroute to this planet instead trying to get there hands on as much bio weaponry as possible...like I said there's a million different possibilities. I just feel that they had to know the organism was hostile.

SiL

SiL

It's not irrelevant. If they knew what it was, and that it was hostile, they wouldn't send unarmed, unprepared people.

pred169

They may know that it's hostile but not that it's THAT lethal and that's what the synthetic was for. And like I said it may have been that time was a factor

judge death

According to me it was a time factordue to no one knows for how long that signal will be active or from what it comes from, if it is a working ship it would mean that ship could take off and leave, I also suspect they knew the signal were of the same type of technology they encountered on the other planet in prometheus so they know what it could meana nd what the crew could meet.
Also someone else could get there before them else.

Another theory related to that is: They knew it was from the space jockies and they last experience the company had was the black goo thing so they dont know exactly if this signal comes from a base or ship etc and what kind of weapon it has, black goo or a creatures or technological weapons? Or maybe just a empty ship? When you dont exactly know if it is something you want or is just junk then its risky to send in an expensive armed ship and crew there, why not send the transport ship nostromo to check it out and order the android to secure a species if whatever the signal comes from has something? IF it is a super weapon then the crew is expendable and then its worth to go to the ship and get it for further studies, else if the crew dont face anything dangerous or some lame weapon they themselves can beat without problems then we wait til they return and just have a report about it and maybe send a investigation ship there if it is worth it.
In this case it just happen they encountered the perfect species and the company probably regret that decision xD

Vrastal

In River of pain, iirc the company knows that the ship/alien specimens are somewhere around there, the colony was set up to try and find it. It was pure luck that the nostromo passed by it and found it. the special order is probably a company wide policy.  So it just happen that the nostromo flew within range of the signal. Ash's objective was to find this organism and bring it back. they cant be 100% prepared on every space ship.

But after the nostromo somehow the company knew the aliens were in a section of space adn figured 426 was probaly the best bet. so they set up the colony to try and find it.

swarm87

i dont think that was the company, it looked like a bunch of interstellar commerce commission reps and government suits

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 03, 2015, 12:39:26 PM

We are referring to the events before the second film.

I am referring to the first post of the thread, which I think refers to the second film.

Quote from: swarm87 on Apr 04, 2015, 11:01:34 PM

i dont think that was the company, it looked like a bunch of interstellar commerce commission reps and government suits

It is very likely that company officials were involved given the destruction of company property and the presence of insurance investigators.

Quote from: pred169 on Apr 04, 2015, 01:22:34 AM
Precisely! .....they knew "it" was hostile. There could be several reasons they didn't send a properly equipped team. It could have been that they felt time was of the escense and they were worried about someone else getting there first to stake a claim on it. It could have been that they felt an anvanced android and a group of miners could handle the organism with minimal losses. They anticipated losses but not a whole crew. The fact that they sent in an armed well equipped team in alien 3 is irrelevant. The events on the nostromo could have very well been why the team arrived as they did in alien 3.  Armed and prepared and not wanting to make the same mistake again. It could even be that WY had sent it's best men and tech to the other planet where the events of prometheus took place.  I'm sure the company kept tabs on the flight recorder from prometheus and knew the planet was basically a weapons depot. They may have been enroute to this planet instead trying to get there hands on as much bio weaponry as possible...like I said there's a million different possibilities. I just feel that they had to know the organism was hostile.

From what I remember, they had a ship with nuclear weapons, drop ships with missiles, armored personnel carriers with heavy weapons, all sorts of small arms, etc.

StrangeShape

Scott himself said the company had no clue whats there, as SiL says.

Scott: "This particular corporation didn't have any preconceived notion that an alien would be found on this mission, much less the particular alien that is brought onto the ship. The idea of bringing it back would not have been on the minds of the corporation executives when they first received the alien transmission. They just had high expectations when they ordered the Nostromo to investigate - it was purely out of curiosity"

HuDaFuK

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 07, 2015, 09:48:24 PMScott himself said the company had no clue whats there, as SiL says.

So why then does Special Order 937 specifically mention an 'organism'?

I always assumed they knew it was a creature of some kind, likely hostile, but didn't know anything beyond that.

Vrastal

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 08, 2015, 07:33:32 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 07, 2015, 09:48:24 PMScott himself said the company had no clue whats there, as SiL says.

So why then does Special Order 937 specifically mention an 'organism'?

I always assumed they knew it was a creature of some kind, likely hostile, but didn't know anything beyond that.

they had to know SOMETHING otherwise they wouldnt have something like this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed