Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 955,628 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

f**k no. The Prometheus discussion will stay right here. :laugh:

I'll spare those of us who still have some sanity after the Prometheus level 9 mind rape bomb.

Spoiler
Come on, seriously? Prometheus had no story arcs. If you have to make one up to defend it, your bias will clearly be on display. Shaw starts out an idiot non-scientist who believes in god and is going to search for.. him. She ends an idiot non-scientist still searching for god even though she's learned that humans were created by Dr. Manhattan who now wants to punch them across the room. Great arc there. An actual arc would've been for her to *gasp* change her beliefs!!!
Holloway starts out an idiot X-games non-scientist, and dies the same, after revealing himself to be a plot device to create cuddles. Vickers starts a cold bitch, dies a cold bitch after the shocking revelation that Weyland is her dad! Whoa there! Janek? He came close to having a sort of character arc, until it was cut from the final film. Weyland? Ahahaha.

The only character that was even likeable, much less had anything close to an arc, was David. That's also a much more effective sign of a problem, the android being the only character your audience can relate to (while not being an android story or one that explores machine sentience) than Charlie Day (a comedian) playing a comedy-relief scientist. Also an indicator of a much bigger problem with your film. Pac Rim blows it out of the water in this department. None of the characters made me hate them, while almost every single one in poomethus did just that. I literally wanted them to die. In PR, I was actually moved by the deaths of even the tertiary characters. Good enough.

Quote from: Magegg on Jul 16, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
The interesting part in this case is that her deeper beliefs didn't change. She passed through much, she lost everything, and her personality changed, but she still believes firmly in God. However, she's a changed woman; now she seems to be looking for God with anger, for scolding, not as a child looking for its father.
None of this is backed up by the film. She started out looking for 'answers' to her bullshit beliefs, and she ended up still searching for the same 'answers' as some form of conclusion, even though the 'questions' were built on impossible bullshit anyway that was force fed to the audience. There wasn't even time to build up a personality. The only thing we know about her is that she's religious and sterile.

Some of the poorest writing in any movie, ever. I'll take Pac Rims predictability and cliches on the back of an incredible film and a monumental achievement for visual effects and the sci-fi/monster genre in general any day of the week.

To be fair, if Poometheus had the level of writing that Pac Rim had (with some sort of conclusion,) I feel the FX may have carried the film. It wasn't just the characters, though. Alien had no character arcs, and you dont need the most complex ones in sci-fi actioners, but it was certainly effective. Prometheus was deliberately insulting to all human beings with a mind, and a special poo missile flung at anyone who likes science or has ever written a character themselves. Even stereotypes would've been far better than what we got.

The movie was so bad it will never die. It's still haunting me.
[close]

Magegg

Magegg

No.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Yes.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Maybe.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Otachi.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: KNIGHT on Jul 16, 2013, 07:10:47 PM
Plot twist: Aspie and Magegg secretly liked the movie so much they actually are mimicking the Double Event from the movie.

I love this quote so much. Specially followed by Aspie's response  :D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Guys, this thread is for Pacific Rim, not Prometheus. Let's stay on topic.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

How 'bout that Onibaba?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

This thread needs to go back to serious questions, like:

FAVOURITE KAIJU in PACRIm, fellas? Humm? :P
and
FAvourite JAeger?

:laugh:

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 16, 2013, 09:49:18 PM
How 'bout that Onibaba?

Great film. You should see it :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 16, 2013, 09:51:47 PM
This thread needs to go back to serious questions, like:

FAVOURITE KAIJU in PACRIm, fellas? Humm? :P
and
FAvourite JAeger?

:laugh:
Knifehead, Striker Eureka. :3

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Otachi followed by Onibaba for Kaiju.

For Jaegers, perhaps Chero Alpha.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 16, 2013, 09:44:13 PM
Otachi.

Probably one of the most liked moments of the movie in general. Most people in the audience and all my friends' minds were blown when that reveal of the wings happened. I was just waiting for it, but it still wowed me because of how great the scene was. But yeah I see it a lot on FB and other places. That and the Leatherback ambush.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Can we get an animated short about Cherno kicking ass for years in Russia? Would cry.

and a high claw for the Onibaba love. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed