12 (29.3%)
Simply Terrible
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,553 times)

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

As much as I loved the movie, there are two things I didn't like all that much about it.

Spoiler
I didn't like that there was intelligent life on the other side of the Interdimensional gap. I hoped to see an alternate earth that had all these monsters living on it naturally, as ridiculous as it sounds. It kind of bummed me out that it didn't turn out this way, but at the same time it does give some options for sequels. And it could turn into all out war with even more Kaiju, which would certainly be interesting to see on screen even if a bit cheesy.

The other thing was the final battle and Slattern. I fully expected the Category 5 to be extremely huge and the final battle being a team effort of multiple Jaegers trying to kill it. As the Jaegers fell one by one, I realized this wasn't going to come to be as I envisioned. Slattern wasn't even that big, and it was all a bit anti-climatic. Maybe it's because the "nuke the enemy in the other side of the portal" has been seen recently in "The Avengers." It was kind of done back when "Independence Day" came out, too. Or maybe it was just me that wanted that big battle with multiple Jaegers against a giant Category 5. On solid land during day time, mind you.
[close]

Despite being disappointed by these things, they aren't really deal breakers. Almost nothing can be when you have giant robots punching giant monsters  :D

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 13, 2013, 01:29:05 AM
I dunno', man... Better than the second. Maybe as good as the third (haven't seen it in ages), but I enjoyed the first better than this. Especially music-wise.

...no :P It was better than all of them :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Rong on Jul 12, 2013, 07:46:34 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 12, 2013, 07:43:36 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 12, 2013, 07:41:09 PM
I'll try it out. Just Godzilla himself, knowing it's obviously a man in a suit, is going to mess with my immersion.  :-\
And the monsters in Pacific Rim are obviously cartoon CGI. So what.
They were designed around the fact that they were mo capped from a guy in a suit, del toro had said he still wanted that feel.
Wasn't actually any mo-cap involved; was listening to a Nerdist panel with del Toro and Beacham and del Toro said that he was very anti mo-cap for the Kaiju and Jaegers, instead wanting everything animated frame by frame because following motion capture would restrict the amount of weight to their movement; presence. It is true, however, that the Kaiju (and Jaegers, I think) were designed to a certain form that could maintain the 'man in a suit' practice.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: BANE on Jul 13, 2013, 02:33:53 AM
Alright.

So she did have to prove herself, but so did everybody else.

No. Everyone else had was already an established pilot of a robot. She wasn't. She had to prove she could fight.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

WHAT AN AWFUL THING TO GO THROUGH.   :'(

troll harder, Aspie. :)

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 13, 2013, 02:38:18 AM
Quote from: Rong on Jul 12, 2013, 07:46:34 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 12, 2013, 07:43:36 PM
Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 12, 2013, 07:41:09 PM
I'll try it out. Just Godzilla himself, knowing it's obviously a man in a suit, is going to mess with my immersion.  :-\
And the monsters in Pacific Rim are obviously cartoon CGI. So what.
They were designed around the fact that they were mo capped from a guy in a suit, del toro had said he still wanted that feel.
Wasn't actually any mo-cap involved; was listening to a Nerdist panel with del Toro and Beacham and del Toro said that he was very anti mo-cap for the Kaiju and Jaegers, instead wanting everything animated frame by frame because following motion capture would restrict the amount of weight to their movement; presence. It is true, however, that the Kaiju (and Jaegers, I think) were designed to a certain form that could maintain the 'man in a suit' practice.

Yeah i cant find the mention of mocap anywhere, i concede im wrong on this one apologies all.

and aspie, im pretty sure its spelt out that her ability isnt really in question, its more to do with Stacker's relationship with her... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fzhadeZgg#ws

DIS REVIEW

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 13, 2013, 02:51:46 AM

How you explain the escape pod lack-of-DNA scenario :P

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 02:48:28 AM
Alright.

No. Everyone else had was already an established pilot of a robot. She wasn't. She had to prove she could fight.

I don't see the problem.  It wasn't because she was a girl, it was because she was a noob. Never had been in a Jaeger before.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 03:02:49 AM

What about it? :P

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 02:48:28 AM
Alright.

So she was a new recruit and had to go through the same thing everyone else did?

What discrimination.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, Aspie's really trying to drive a point that the film never once raises. She gets sidelined because she has emotional baggage which could be -- and turns out to be -- problematic while trying to drift. However, as the film explicitly points out, it's the guy who slips first and sets her off, which has more to do with her inexperience than "Dur girls have problems".

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

This film was, awesome. Just pure awesome. Michael Bay, I hope you're paying attention because this is how you make a movie about giant robots. No toilet humour, no Megan Fox, no Shia LeBeouf, no dogs humping, no clueless mothers...

Seriously though, great time. You know the worst thing about this film, in my opinion?

Spoiler
No Godzilla references :(
[close]

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 03:02:49 AM

only safe guard in not out..

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 13, 2013, 03:07:24 AM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
You can hear his roar at one point, mixed into another monster's.
[close]

Quote from: Rong on Jul 13, 2013, 03:08:18 AM
only safe guard in not out..
Film says they get scanned on the way out.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Jul 13, 2013, 03:09:11 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 13, 2013, 03:07:24 AM
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
You can hear his roar at one point, mixed into another monster's.
[close]

Really eh? Huh, guess I'll listen for it if I see this again. I almost thought that
Spoiler
the pregnant kaiju was the reference I was looking for, albeit not one I wanted :P
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed