21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,508 times)

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jul 13, 2013, 12:41:40 AM

Quote from: Rong on Jul 12, 2013, 07:46:34 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 12, 2013, 07:43:36 PMAnd the monsters in Pacific Rim are obviously cartoon CGI. So what.
They were designed around the fact that they were mo capped from a guy in a suit, del toro had said he still wanted that feel.

There's no motion capture in Pac Rim. It's all key frame. It's more akin to stop motion, only done in the computer. Likening it to anything cheap, easy or fast is disrespectful to the people that work hard on this, especially in a film with a world as thought out as Pacific Rim's.

I'm attempting to find the article sure it was on AICN that includes the bit about the kaiju i think particularly "leatherback" was mocapped.. sure im not making this up.. although you can tell the Jaegers aren't mocapped. 

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Just got back from the theater. f**king loved this movie. I'm going to definitely see it again.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Yeah, like I put in my review, the analogue thing didn't make any kind of sense,. It clearly had tons of digital computers aboard and how in the world nuclear reactor = analogue, I can't even begin to fathom. It was just a really dumb line. It's the PR version of Space Jockeys having a DNA match with humans.

Especially because it's logical to then question, "What do all the others run on if they aren't nuclear?"

The technical side of things wasn't ever meant to be questioned. If it was, they would have just said the portal never opened up twice in a specific place, to avoid the obvious question of why it wasn't mined with nukes 24/7 (or just patrolled with submarines carrying nuclear-armed torpedoes).

Also made me laugh when the robot stuff has been hyped as a missiles-won't-do-anything argument, only for a newsflash to show exactly the opposite. :laugh:

Spoiler
And how they were tracking the scientist guy in the the city when he wasn't still connected, I'm still trying to figure out...
[close]

Aspie

Aspie

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim is, undoubtedly, the ultimate action-blockbuster movie. The fight scenes, even though incomprehensible on a few occasions, were superbly choreographed and just badass beyond words. The dialogue, while not anything special, was adequate enough to prevent viewers from having to dumb-themselves-down in order to endure it.  And the Kaiju were just plain awesome.

However, Pacific Rim is nothing more than a blockbuster movie, and fails to escape the realm of forgetability.

The characterization was deplorable, and really focuses on two characters; despite feeding us the dynamics of other characters we never feel the need to give a damn about. Notably, the father and son relationship that is never explored, and yet concludes in a way that is supposed to evoke emotion. None is felt, and it ultimately comes off as unnecessary filler. And then we have the disappointing handling of the only main female character, whom has to prove herself worthy to stand with the men. ...I guess this is supposed to be a victory for women everywhere...? But what it really turns out to be is yet another cliché plot device that says less for women than just simply having a main female character start off with her own robot.

Although del Toro has the ability to create whimsical and elaborate worlds/environments for his movies...Pacific Rim never seems to take time away from its lazy story weaving to allow us to savor Pacific Rim's set up. Ron Perlman's character could've been the perfect vehicle for the audience to navigate through it all, but his appearance is brief and fails to deliver.

Spoiler
For a movie that clearly doesn't take itself too seriously, there is not a lick of humor to be found.

If they need Monster DNA to travel through the portal, how come the escape pods leaving it didn't have the DNA?

Cliché "He's not breathing, but my love will resurrect him ending"
[close]

But yes, it was, in fact, better than all three Transformer films.

5/10

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I dunno', man... Better than the second. Maybe as good as the third (haven't seen it in ages), but I enjoyed the first better than this. Especially music-wise.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 01:24:04 AM
And then we have the disappointing handling of the only main female character, whom has to prove herself worthy to stand with the men. ...I guess this is supposed to be a victory for women everywhere...?
That's not how the movie shows it at all. She doesn't have to prove herself to stand with the men.

QuoteBut what it really turns out to be is yet another cliché plot device that says less for women than just simply having a main female character start off with her own robot.
One of the Russian pilots is female.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

It's Aspie, man... who cares what he thinks? :P

Spoiler
Just trolling, Aspums. You know we love you, mang. :P
[close]

Rong

Rong

Aspie bro,

i'm sure your on your phone browsing the web or someshit while watching the film.

wat sil said and the point was she was better than all the "Men" including Raeighly

Another decent review

http://io9.com/pacific-rim-is-the-greatest-fairy-tale-of-the-twenty-fi-752579393

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Otachi  ;)

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SiL on Jul 13, 2013, 01:32:22 AM
Quote from: Aspie on Jul 13, 2013, 01:24:04 AM
And then we have the disappointing handling of the only main female character, whom has to prove herself worthy to stand with the men. ...I guess this is supposed to be a victory for women everywhere...?
That's not how the movie shows it at all. She doesn't have to prove herself to stand with the men.

QuoteBut what it really turns out to be is yet another cliché plot device that says less for women than just simply having a main female character start off with her own robot.
One of the Russian pilots is female.

The Russian one is not a main character though. At all. She had 1 minute screen time, tops.

And it sure appeared that way when she had to fight in front of the other "candidates".

BANE

BANE

Was she the only one fighting?

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: BANE on Jul 13, 2013, 02:23:01 AM
Was she the only one fighting?

No, she had an opponent.

BANE

BANE

So everyone had to fight...? Or just her and the main character guy from the trailer?

My ignorance betrays the fact that I haven't seen the movie.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Rong on Jul 13, 2013, 02:03:46 AM
Aspie bro,

i'm sure your on your phone browsing the web or someshit while watching the film.

wat sil said and the point was she was better than all the "Men" including Raeighly

Another decent review

http://io9.com/pacific-rim-is-the-greatest-fairy-tale-of-the-twenty-fi-752579393

She was better. No question. But it took too long to get to that point, and her struggle to "drift" became a major plot point.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 13, 2013, 02:29:54 AM
So everyone had to fight...? Or just her and the main character guy from the trailer?

My ignorance betrays the fact that I haven't seen the movie.

It's like training to them. They have to do hand to hand combat in the robot, so they do hand to hand combat training outside of it.

BANE

BANE

Alright.

So she did have to prove herself, but so did everybody else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed