21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Pacific Rim films (Read 953,709 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 12, 2013, 07:25:40 PM
This wasnt going to be that film xeno. :P

Del Toro was totally channeling the silly War of the Gargantuas rather than the somber super serious tones of Godzilla. :P

a kaiju gets a BOAT TO THE FACE.

This was never going to be a super serious film. :laugh:

The super serious Godzilla comes out next year.. hopefully that'll be more to your liking. :P

I'm happy for superficial entertainment, so long as it's superficial entertainment where I get a thrill from or other sort of emotional high out of watching. 'West Side Story' is a film about dancing street gangs from the sixties, but I can still get a chill out of watching it.

As I said in my review, this wanted to be a polished combination between 'Deep Rising' and 'Transformers'. If it had even been that, I'd have loved it (there's a reason why the former is still considered Stephen Sommers' best movie). Just as I love both the 'Hellboy' films for being big, silly-yet-charismatic, fun. But it wasn't.

And it was visually fun, yeah, but visuals, alone, don't give me a thrill. Especially when they can look a bit confusing.

There were several ways this could have gone and, if it wasn't going to be a serious disaster flick, then it needed to be engaging by way of charisma. That's how 'Independence Day' and 'Jurassic Park' did it.

If others loved it, good for them. Honestly. :) I'm not saying it's a stinking cinematic turd. It's just not nearly what it could have been, in my view.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 12, 2013, 07:26:14 PM
...it's a movie about giant cartoon robots fighting giant cartoon monsters, and THAT is where you draw the line?

'Independence Day' and 'Jurassic Park' are the same kind of high concept subject matter, too. But I like them. Their characters are likeable, even if the circumstances aren't realistic. I can go along with the characters for the visual rollercoaster rides their are.

If Jeff Goldblum had yelled out at a dinosaur/alien, "NOBODY TELLS MAX RANGER WHAT TO DO!" Then my willing suspension of disbelief would have mentally gone, "Wait, what...?"

Quote from: Rong on Jul 12, 2013, 07:31:54 PM
Urg I disliked Gareth Evans "Monsters" I get he feeling Godzillas going to be a lump of shit.

Maybe. 'Monsters' seemed like it had potential, right up until the end. Then it felt like a big anti-climax.

Quote from: Cal427eb on Jul 12, 2013, 07:34:22 PM
Any movie with giant monsters(especially Godzilla), I will not be able to take seriously. The cheese level is off the charts.

'Aliens'?

Some of Hudson's lines can definitely be seen as cheesy (and seemingly played deliberately for that very reason), but the story and most of the script are very much of the non-cheesy. Powerloader versus Queen certainly qualifies as 'giant monster versus robot fight'. But infinitely more serious and satisfying the than the vast majority (if not all) of them.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

I read the prequel mini-comic, Tales From Year Zero.

It's pretty decent. Nothing mind-blowing. Kind of World War Z-ish (the book, not the film) in that it's a series of interviews about the war. I'd be happy to see more of it.

What I did find funny was how certain elements from the discarded draft of the Pacific Rim script found their way in.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I think that's just an inescapable trend Morphine, a product of the state of culture today. You can tell when you watch a lot of 80's films, you can 'feel' the era that they were made in, almost, because it comes through in so many unintended ways.

I get that from a lot of new films, even the ones I like. Man of Steel really had me going, but it felt the same: sterile, kind of lifeless, like missing the point.

I feel like all a movie has to really do is A> understand it's own purpose, its intention (which gets harder to do as you try and cram all variety of ass in the $eat$) and B> deliver on this one, specific purpose alone. In so doing, the integrity of whats being made should bring out much of the human elements, and lead to a better overall film.

I don't know if that made any sense, but so many things we love in film are products of unintentional human factors, ad-libbed, etc... The tight-butthole environment that is modern Hollywood probably doesn't make concessions for those things, as they try and control the f**k out of everything ala the Galactic Empire. ;)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 12, 2013, 07:52:18 PM
'Independence Day' and 'Jurassic Park' are the same kind of high concept subject matter, too.
No they aren't. They both clearly take place in what is supposed to be the real world and aren't neon cartoony fantasies.

If Jeff Goldblum had yelled out at a dinosaur/alien, "NOBODY TELLS MAX RANGER WHAT TO DO!" Then my willing suspension of disbelief would have mentally gone, "Wait, what...?"
WELCOME TO EARFFF! *punch*

'Aliens'?
Aliens isn't about giant monsters. And no, the Queen doesn't count.

Powerloader versus Queen certainly qualifies as 'giant monster versus robot fight'.
Only if you are SERIOUSLY reaching to try and make a point.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

I'm still amazed at the fact that people liked Independence Day. :P Really dont remember it as being any fun.

i do remember wanting the aliens to blow up the american president, though. :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 12, 2013, 08:02:18 PM
I'm still amazed at the fact that people liked Independence Day. :P Really dont remember it as being any fun.
It's super stupid shit. But it's got a couple effective sequences.

I stress a couple.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

One of them being Will Smith PUNCHING AN ALIEN IN THE FACE?

That was coo. :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

The alien autopsy scene is pretty good.

Harvey Fierstein is the best thing in the movie. "DAAAVID! DAAAAAVID! I GOTTA CAWL MY MUTHA!"

Rong

Rong

People view both ID4 and even JP (to a degree) with rosé coloured glasses due to the nostalgia of being 5 years old, kids growing up now will feel the same about this.

genocyber

genocyber

My theater isn't going to be playing this :(

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

f**k your theater. And f**k all the other movies that it's playing instead of this.

And f**k the theater owner, f**k his wife, f**k his kids... f**k the school his kids study in.....

>:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNREtboX3s#ws

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 12, 2013, 07:59:07 PM
I think that's just an inescapable trend Morphine, a product of the state of culture today. You can tell when you watch a lot of 80's films, you can 'feel' the era that they were made in, almost, because it comes through in so many unintended ways.

I get that from a lot of new films, even the ones I like. Man of Steel really had me going, but it felt the same: sterile, kind of lifeless, like missing the point.
The funny thing is, I think that Pacific Rim works so well because it isn't sterile and lifeless. It's going for the fun, without cynicism or 'grittiness', and it knows exactly what it is. And that's what it wants to be.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Sitting in the theater now!!! LETS DO THIS SHIT!!!

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Rong on Jul 12, 2013, 08:06:14 PM
People view both ID4 and even JP (to a degree) with rosé coloured glasses due to the nostalgia of being 5 years old, kids growing up now will feel the same about this.

Oh you saying Jurassic Park is shit, mate?

Imma call my mates AND WE'll HAVE A REALLY POLITE CONVERSATION....  >:(

Rong

Rong

Come on BL we all know JP was an after thought, Speilberg was more interested in making Shindlers List

C:<

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed