Elysium (2013)

Started by Shasvre, Jan 20, 2011, 02:07:35 AM

Author
Elysium (2013) (Read 63,343 times)

Rong

Rong

i dont think people would be reporting a cut to run time if there wasn't a cut to run time...

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 12, 2013, 01:35:39 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Jul 12, 2013, 01:33:09 AM
3 hours my balls. Not even close, if that were true, the film would have dragged on in parts that weren't needed. It's a shame that it's been cut to 109 minutes. Now the film is going to move by a lot faster.
Not really, it wasn't even two hours long. For all we know the cut we saw was 109 minutes.

I just checked the invite, saying that it started at 7PM. I remember getting out of the theater at around 9:30PM...BUT I also spent a shitload of time filling out some paper telling me what I thought of the film. So I think you're correct, the 109 minute cut was in fact the one I saw. But, that also depends if they showed different versions at other screenings. I'm sure the two of us saw the same cut since our screenings were pretty much a week apart If I remember correctly.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Yup, and that was a year ago now. Three hours, lol -- IMDB.

Rong

Rong

Vickers

Vickers

Proof that a bigger budget does not make a better film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Vickers on Jul 14, 2013, 03:42:52 PM
Whoever claimed that is a dull-headed thing.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 14, 2013, 03:44:33 PM
Quote from: Vickers on Jul 14, 2013, 03:42:52 PM
Whoever claimed that is a dull-headed thing.

You'll be surprised how many have that mindset. :'(

orchidal

orchidal

The 2 reviews above are above average and average, respectively. Elysium does seem like a good Cameron-eque action flick but much more shallow than its predecessor D9, however those robots do look eye-gasmic.

It's been a surprisingly good summer for sci-fi thus far. First I was skeptical if PacRim would be able to hold a candle to STiD. And then PacRim won me over more than STiD ever could. I wonder if Elysium could top the sheer imaginative abandon of PacRim. I doubt it, but I'm hopeful.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

If the movie gets largely negative reviews, I'll be surprised. The script, though imperfect, was pretty good stuff. The direction looks solid, too.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

My god Cvalda, I saw it. :laugh: The cyber-glowing robo katana. It even had the horizontal draw-in-front-of-the-angry-face scene for extra cheese.

The trailer seems to emphasize the action and a lot of Blomkamps sci-fi elements, which I'm sure are going to be wonderful. Throw in a generic disenfranchised, pseudo-race struggle and you've got a poorly done action Gattaca with Mett Dermonn.

You can tell the creepy white people are represented by Jodie Foster, while the rest of colored Earth apparently squabbles in terrible poverty and ill-health. They aren't able to fix his daughter? Right? Or some kid, or it might be Damon himself(?) but they could if they get up to Jodie Foster's med pod on Elysium.

But though they don't have the medical technology to help him survive, they certainly do have the technology to turn him into a cybernetic G.I. Joe who will inevitably attract the attention of the evil cybernetic ninja who will then clash trying to get to space Cabo to save the little girl, or Matt Damon himself, or allow the billions of impoverished minorities to overrun the tiny evil white heaven gated space fortress and see how long that dream lasts.

I'll probably still watch it, but might be a DVD with some beer. :-\

How long are they going to try and hump the 'white people are evil and need to be shit on' theme? It's really getting obnoxious. I thought we were supposed to be grown ups, and not respond to racism with further racism. I swear I wouldn't think much of racial issues from experiences in my real life if there weren't these assholes constantly making it up and promoting it to make money.

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jul 14, 2013, 05:40:58 PM
My god Cvalda, I saw it. :laugh: The cyber-glowing robo katana. It even had the horizontal draw-in-front-of-the-angry-face scene for extra cheese.

The trailer seems to emphasize the action and a lot of Blomkamps sci-fi elements, which I'm sure are going to be wonderful. Throw in a generic disenfranchised, pseudo-race struggle and you've got a poorly done action Gattaca with Mett Dermonn.

You can tell the creepy white people are represented by Jodie Foster, while the rest of colored Earth apparently squabbles in terrible poverty and ill-health. They aren't able to fix his daughter? Right? Or some kid, or it might be Damon himself(?) but they could if they get up to Jodie Foster's med pod on Elysium.

But though they don't have the medical technology to help him survive, they certainly do have the technology to turn him into a cybernetic G.I. Joe who will inevitably attract the attention of the evil cybernetic ninja who will then clash trying to get to space Cabo to save the little girl, or Matt Damon himself, or allow the billions of impoverished minorities to overrun the tiny evil white heaven gated space fortress and see how long that dream lasts.

I'll probably still watch it, but might be a DVD with some beer. :-\

How long are they going to try and hump the 'white people are evil and need to be shit on' theme? It's really getting obnoxious. I thought we were supposed to be grown ups, and not respond to racism with further racism. I swear I wouldn't think much of racial issues from experiences in my real life if there weren't these assholes constantly making it up and promoting it to make money.

While I agree with a lot of what you said, racism is still rife and Hollywood is very white and male dominant. There's still lots of progress to be made.

And, if anything, this film has a white hero saving the day. So it's hardly promoting any kind of "white people are evil" agenda.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Okay, but why is it white and male dominant? Why does that label it an immediate problem without understanding whether the cause was racially/sexually motivated or not?

Say hypothetically there just so happen to be a high number of middle-aged white men who grew up watching American films and flocked to the film industry? Which conveniently centers in locations where middle-to-upper class people live? I don't know one way or the other, so I'll keep my mind open until I see something more concrete, other than the white men are simply around so it must be racist. The social factor is also strong in any workplace, and seems to increase the higher you go on the income bracket. People tend to hook up their friends, and friends can often be the same race as yourself.

I'm not saying that's okay, but it doesn't make it racist or sexist.

There are a lot of black people in professional sports, and a lot of men. We must have a racial problem there! :laugh:

orchidal

orchidal

And besides, what's wrong with humping evil white people?

Cvalda

Cvalda

Nah, it's just a regular katana.  :D

Yes, exactly! That is exactly one of the subplots, lol. But it's not Matt Damon's daughter. :D

Pretty much, yep :P

Spoiler
Also, his accident involves MASSIVE doses of radiation... and yet he is not radioactive at all, and is free to walk around the general populace. wut. He takes pills, but seriously?
[close]

If anything, it's racist toward the demographic it thinks it's being sympathetic too, considering the only f**king white guy in the future barrio is the one who pretty much single-handedly leads them to "victory" with his superior white dude skillz.

Also, everyone in this movie has TERRIBLE HAIR. TERRIBLE. Foster has an atrocious white combover thing, Diego Luna has apparently shaped his hair into a nest for baby squid, etc. Only Matt Damon escapes this by being f**king bald.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed