Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 120,663 times)

ShadowPred

Quote from: shakermakerman on Jan 15, 2011, 09:58:52 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Jan 15, 2011, 09:54:28 PM
I'll say it again....were being deliberately led off course....I think this film is still a prequel in a hidden forn.

::)

So true.

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Jan 15, 2011, 09:59:14 PM

I think I'm a little above 0 at this point.

wolfboy

wolfboy

Didn't read through the posts so some others probably have the same response and theory:

I was dissapointed at first but after thinking about it more, it might be for the best.

Here's what I read somewhere. The Prometheus myth, as outlined in Metamorphoses, describes Prometheus creating a living being from clay in the image of the gods. From that, I think Ridley Scott was working on the Space Jockey mythos, maybe something to do with engineering living monsters. Maybe the Space Jockeys are the monsters. I haven't read any of the Alien comics so I don't know how they interpreted them, but I'm sure Scott hasn't either. He probably has his own ideas on their origins which clash with the comics, and fans from both sides would point out inconsistencies, etc. So the safest thing would be to use a lot of the main underlying themes, but not connect it to the Alien universe. In addition to that, he now has free reign and doesn't have to retcon it with all of the stuff that's already been established.

Mus

Mus

I'm quite relieved. Because really, the only thing this ever had going for me was the thought of the Alien doing its thing being filmed by someone competent. Never cared much for any back-stories to the creature, too much of a risk. Now I don't have to worry about silly scripts in order to (hopefully) enjoy eerie visions of space Giger-crafted landscapes, and instead can wholeheartedly anticipate it. It's a trade-off, but not of the worst kind.

G8RSG1

Wow, I'm really disappointed. I was really looking forward to a new Alien movie :( Oh well atleast we still have A:CM to look forward to

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

if anyone thinks this is a ''hidden'' alien movie or something like that....im sorry guys i want an original movie not something that i will watch and i will try to relate it with the alien universe.

Mr. Scott...GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL STUFF!!!!

Peakius Baragonius

Peakius Baragonius

AVP did not ruin the Alien/Predator series! That film introduced Alien and Predator to my generation, one which has grown up thinking that the characters are cool; I can remember lunchroom discussions about how scary it was!

I am a bit disappointed by the news, but I'll save judgment until we hear more about the film. One thing that bothers me, though: were they worried that it was "too original" and unlike an Alien film?

If that attitude is true, then that says everything about the state of series creativity today.

Of course creating new worlds and stories is good, but why can't making them part of existing universes happen anymore? Does this mean that expanding and fulfilling the potential or just telling stories of/in already-established franchises is somehow bad? Must every sequel that comes along be an endless repeat of what we've seen before? (I'm looking at you, Predators....)

But personally, if not making it an Alien Prequel will help Prometheus be a better film and prequel to Alien, then I'm for it.

Assuming it's connected at all....

And Elizabeth Shaw...wow...look, the similarities between The Ark in Space and Alien are one thing, but this may be the most blatant homage I've ever seen.

EDIT:

Quote from: G8RSG1 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Wow, I'm really disappointed. I was really looking forward to a new Alien movie :( Oh well atleast we still have A:CM to look forward to
Quote from: prodigy211 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:58:05 PM
if anyone thinks this is a ''hidden'' alien movie or something like that....im sorry guys i want an original movie not something that i will watch and i will try to relate it with the alien universe.

http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/26e001a2a926eec1e490ba24c2180a51/279%20-%20animated_gif%20blue_screen%20commander_riker%20humor%20johnathan_frakes%20number_one%20riker_william%20star_trek%20the_next_generation.gif

Mr. Scott...GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL STUFF!!!!

http://ownednfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fail-six-pack.jpg

Define an "Alien movie." Go ahead, just try. 8)

I want an original, thought-provoking movie that can be judged on its own merits and just happens to be related to the Alien universe.

Alexa Chung

how can you talk about avp introducing the characters to your generation and then reference a tv show that hasn't been broadcast for nearly 40 years?

akb

akb

is giger still on board even though it's not an alien movie?

Vulhala

I really hope so. But if his missus said he was just over a week ago, then it seems likely.

Peakius Baragonius

Quote from: Alexa Chung on Jan 16, 2011, 12:07:57 AM
how can you talk about avp introducing the characters to your generation and then reference a tv show that hasn't been broadcast for nearly 40 years?

Um...because I happen to appreciate the finer* things in life and a friend introduced me to the show? And even if they hadn't, then there is the new Doctor Who show...perhaps I could have become interested in the originals and watched some of them?

If Prometheus turns out not to be connected in any way to the Alien movies but has H.R. Giger on board, then I actually might not be so upset. (Then again, who am I kidding...)

Quote from: Ivymike on Jan 15, 2011, 09:48:35 PM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

:laugh:

*definiton may vary in this case.

Alexa Chung

good. my point is people who are interested will always end up seeking things out, especially in this age where everything is available. people will always end up listening to revolver, we don't need some dubstep nonce putting a donk on eleanor rigby.

Maphisto86

Well this was quite unexpected. While I welcome any "original" ideas coming Hollywood's way it is more than a little dissapointing that there will not be a new installment to the Alien franchise. Yet the vocal disappointment in this move may make James Cameron or someone else try to take Ridley's place on the concept. It's still too early to tell what all this means and frankly I am now extremely curious what "Prometheus" is all about since is supposedly based on ideas pitched for the Alien prequel.

P.S. While Ridely Scott did say the film would have strands 'of the Alien's DNA' he is simply be metaphorical about what influenced Prometheus's core idea. I doubt it will take place in the same universe as Alien. If it is a stand alone film it shouldn't be!

Xenomrph

I'm laughing pretty hard about this.

stroggificated

Prometheus.....will be a very good movie. Or maybe not. Maybe Giger will be involved. Maybe it takes place in the Alien universe. But why should i care anymore? No Alien, no new Alien movie.

And now it seems it's even too late to make a good sequel to A:R. Would FOX even give green light?
This franchise feels so dead right now.  :-\

This news are like a f**king joke. Unbelievable.

BlackMatter169

This news comes to me as somewhat of a relief, sure there's no new alien film coming out, but with what I kept hearing about it (PG-13 rating, Natalie Portman as a marine) this all sounds like good news. Of course considering all the nonsense Scott went through with Fox I'm not surprised he decided to say: "F**k it I'm making my own original film!" (not that I'm saying that's what happened I'm just saying it makes sense).
As to whether or not this Prometheus will be worthy of big screen viewing, it's all up in the air now. We can only hope it will end up being awesome.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed