Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film

Started by Mike’s Monsters, Jan 14, 2011, 11:14:35 PM

Author
Alien Prequel No Longer An Alien Film (Read 119,448 times)

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Very dissapointed to say the least. After reading that rubbish, anyone else get the feeling this movie is just heading towards one massive rip-off...or should I say spin-off!! And we all know what usually happens with those.   R.I.P. Alien  :(

SPECIAL FORCES

SPECIAL FORCES

Quote from: Peakius Baragonius on Jan 16, 2011, 12:03:14 AM
AVP did not ruin the Alien/Predator series! That film introduced Alien and Predator to my generation, one which has grown up thinking that the characters are cool; I can remember lunchroom discussions about how scary it was!

I am a bit disappointed by the news, but I'll save judgment until we hear more about the film. One thing that bothers me, though: were they worried that it was "too original" and unlike an Alien film?

If that attitude is true, then that says everything about the state of series creativity today.

Of course creating new worlds and stories is good, but why can't making them part of existing universes happen anymore? Does this mean that expanding and fulfilling the potential or just telling stories of/in already-established franchises is somehow bad? Must every sequel that comes along be an endless repeat of what we've seen before? (I'm looking at you, Predators....)

But personally, if not making it an Alien Prequel will help Prometheus be a better film and prequel to Alien, then I'm for it.

Assuming it's connected at all....

And Elizabeth Shaw...wow...look, the similarities between The Ark in Space and Alien are one thing, but this may be the most blatant homage I've ever seen.

EDIT:

Quote from: G8RSG1 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:40:52 PM
Wow, I'm really disappointed. I was really looking forward to a new Alien movie :( Oh well atleast we still have A:CM to look forward to
Quote from: prodigy211 on Jan 15, 2011, 11:58:05 PM
if anyone thinks this is a ''hidden'' alien movie or something like that....im sorry guys i want an original movie not something that i will watch and i will try to relate it with the alien universe.

http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/26e001a2a926eec1e490ba24c2180a51/279%20-%20animated_gif%20blue_screen%20commander_riker%20humor%20johnathan_frakes%20number_one%20riker_william%20star_trek%20the_next_generation.gif

Mr. Scott...GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL STUFF!!!!

http://ownednfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/fail-six-pack.jpg

Define an "Alien movie." Go ahead, just try. 8)

I want an original, thought-provoking movie that can be judged on its own merits and just happens to be related to the Alien universe.

It might be the most amazing movie ever...but it wont be a movie of the alien franchise.Is it so hard people to understand?
It wont be alien 5,it wont be a sequel or a prequel,thats what new ''alien movie means''
I hope its good because i love scifi movies but its not an alien franchise movie no matter how the story,the atmosphere and the directing style is close to the original alien movies...and as an alien fan i wish we had the new alien movie instead if that Prometheus thing.

When the critics watch it on an early screening they wont write: ''a review of the upcoming alien movie'',they will write as a title:''Ridley's new scifi  movie''......but i guess from nothing,at least its good to have some similarities to the alien franchise...but im sure we all want a ''real'' alien movie.

Also i guess you are young but im sure 99% of the people here agree (especially the older ones) that the best way to be introduced to both franchises is alien 1-2 and the Arnold Predator.
You might like avp and we are happy to get anything from those 2 franchises but im sorry they are really garbage compared to the movies i wrote above.

Predecai

Predecai

I have mixed feelings about this... a cool movie from him would be nice, but no matter what, I'd be damn interested in the alien prequel, and all the things that happened before Alien. And W-Y's past... I wouldn't say I am disappointed, I am waiting for the new movie. If they won't make the prequel in my life, I'll be disappointed... and come back...!

shakermakerman

Quote from: St_Eddie on Jan 16, 2011, 02:26:38 AM
I'm so heart broken! I used to admire and respect Ridley Scott, but now I think he's full of shit!  The idea of him making an original Sci-Fi is awesome, but how f**king dare he tempt us with a prequel and not deliver!  Well done Mr. Scott, you've just lost a life long fan.  Damn, I'm so angry! I guess the Alien series is actually dead, when it had the potential to be reborn.  Good luck with your new film Mr. Scott, I will never pay to watch, you cock teasing wanker.

Don't get me wrong, but you don't get the fanboys hyped and then f**k them in the arse; that's just plain mean!  It's like getting dumped by the woman I love all over again!

worriors

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
[/quote]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E29iOPSxF94#

followed by a
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKss2uYpih8#
[/quote]

Haha, thats funny. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

stroggificated

stroggificated

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jan 16, 2011, 04:11:33 AM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Jan 16, 2011, 04:03:39 AM
I am too glad to see you back.

Well.... I can't speak for everybody but... I am actually smiling about this right now. I don't care if people get pissed off at me for smiling for this but you know what, I'm actually with the people that say there was no need for a prequel. You simply can't touch a classic like Alien. And given that there is a span of five movies, seven if you count the AvP films (which I know A LOT of people here don't), then enough is enough.

Alien is done. They don't need to do it anymore.

No more. No more. No more.

-Rakai'Thwei

Clap.....Clap......Clap

It's a pity i won't never see your reactions here if PREDATORS had met the same fate as the Alien Prequel. Then an Alien Fan comes along and...
QuoteWell.... I can't speak for everybody but... I am actually smiling about this right now. I don't care if people get pissed off at me for smiling for this but you know what, I'm actually with the people that say there was no need for a prequel sequel/reboot. You simply can't touch a classic like Alien Predator. And given that there is a span of five two movies, seven four if you count the AvP films (which I know A LOT of people here don't), then enough is enough.

Alien Predator is done. They don't need to do it anymore.

No more. No more. No more.

The least you need now are malicious Predator fans here on this thread.  ::)

emperorjordan

QuoteCursed by FOX--->Doomed by Jeunet and Whedon--->Betrayed by Scott--->Game Over

I'm consciously and unconsciously being an immature child, but that last part sums it up perfectly for me.  1-2 years of excited anticipation, preparing for the third; and now I've learnt a valuable lesson about not taking things for granted, even strong evidence.  Or something.

Ridley Scott's been indecisive about 'Alien 2' for decades, we arrive at the peak of the mountain, and now we gotta go down into the abyss... Grrrrrrr!

8thPassenger

I'm not that disappointed, really.

I guess the situation went something like this: The story of the Alien prequel had certain elements that Scott found interesting and wanted to delevop further, but the fact that it still had to be an Alien film (monster kills people and so on) kept him from doing that. The solution: ditch the Alien context and do what's more interesting. I'd say it's actually a pretty bold move.

TheAncientEnemy

Geez guys. Scott is a "coward" for ALLEGEDLY changing the prequel because he realized he couldn't deliver based on his vision vs. his budget? Uhm... do you remember the last couple times we had low budget Alien-related flicks and the directors weren't smart or classy enough to realize that they couldn't make anything good and they went ahead and did it anyway? I sure do. You can buy them both in a box set. I'm sure most of you own them even though you "hate" them.

First off, none of us know what the prequel was ever going to be. So there's that right off the bat. Maybe this is what it was pretty much always going to be like. I remember from the get-go Scott was saying that, hey, there might not even be ALIENS as we know them in this movie! Maybe after that was confirmed he decided that calling it "Alien" anything was misleading.

Secondly, no one knows for sure why the course was changed (if it was). You guys have turned Ridley's return to the captain's chair into some kind of schoolyard trash-talk fest between Cameron and Scott that, frankly, doesn't exist. It's like your writing director vs. director fan fiction and I know you're loving it.

I have to admit, it's pretty fascinating to watch some of you guys out there sitting behind your computer getting hard on Ridley's new Alien movie and then calling him a coward and disparaging him from the safety of your chairs because he has the balls to do something new. There's nothing wrong at all with having an artistic critique, but to literally call a guy like Ridley names based on nothing other than the fact that you're bitter you won't be getting what you claim to really not want comes off as petty and transparent. Come on guys! We might actually be getting something artistic!

emperorjordan

QuoteI'm not that disappointed, really.

I guess the situation went something like this: The story of the Alien prequel had certain elements that Scott found interesting and wanted to delevop further, but the fact that it still had to be an Alien film (monster kills people and so on) kept him from doing that. The solution: ditch the Alien context and do what's more interesting. I'd say it's actually a pretty bold move.

I've no ish with that.  Original films by all means.  I'm just deeply disappointed it was publicly announced by everyone in the know as an Alien Prequel for two years, and it seems - quite suddnly for us - that that might not be the case.

I appreciate not everyone wanted another Alien film, but I did.  I'm just hoping it's a unique film with elements of Alien - e.g., space-travel, the Company, maybe a Space Jockey or two...

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

The problem is not Ridley change his mind...
The real problem is what he said thousands of times..."I´ll do a Alien Prequel...it´s about Space Jockey,Space Jockey,Jockey,Alien Prequel,Jockey...bla,bla,bla..." >:(

Master

Maybe it is about Spece Jockey. But not neceserily alien.

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: Master on Jan 16, 2011, 03:43:14 PM
Maybe it is about Spece Jockey. But not neceserily alien.

That would still place it within the Alien universe.

Master

Maybe it is. We won`t know it until the film is out.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: TheAncientEnemy on Jan 16, 2011, 03:21:49 PM
Geez guys. Scott is a "coward" for ALLEGEDLY changing the prequel because he realized he couldn't deliver based on his vision vs. his budget? Uhm... do you remember the last couple times we had low budget Alien-related flicks and the directors weren't smart or classy enough to realize that they couldn't make anything good and they went ahead and did it anyway? I sure do. You can buy them both in a box set. I'm sure most of you own them even though you "hate" them.

First off, none of us know what the prequel was ever going to be. So there's that right off the bat. Maybe this is what it was pretty much always going to be like. I remember from the get-go Scott was saying that, hey, there might not even be ALIENS as we know them in this movie! Maybe after that was confirmed he decided that calling it "Alien" anything was misleading.

Secondly, no one knows for sure why the course was changed (if it was). You guys have turned Ridley's return to the captain's chair into some kind of schoolyard trash-talk fest between Cameron and Scott that, frankly, doesn't exist. It's like your writing director vs. director fan fiction and I know you're loving it.

I have to admit, it's pretty fascinating to watch some of you guys out there sitting behind your computer getting hard on Ridley's new Alien movie and then calling him a coward and disparaging him from the safety of your chairs because he has the balls to do something new. There's nothing wrong at all with having an artistic critique, but to literally call a guy like Ridley names based on nothing other than the fact that you're bitter you won't be getting what you claim to really not want comes off as petty and transparent. Come on guys! We might actually be getting something artistic!

Completely agree. At this stage who's to say whether Prometheus simply cannot be billed as an Alien sequel because Ridley has found a more interesting story to tell than another conflict with what some people insist on calling a xenomorph. Perhaps Fox consider it false advertising to refer to it blatantly as an alien Prequel based on the story elements. If expectations are of an alien creature or creatures as seen before but the story is actually far more mature and deals with themes that only hint at Alien then it would be risky to create that expectation and advertise it as such. But there is little is this new information that actually kills the possibility of the story leading into ALIEN, even if it's only hinted at in the final reel. I find that far more interesting. And in fact there are strong hints that Fox are so keen on Ridley being on board that they have given him far greater power over what he wants to do, which might arguably mean letting him take Alien into unfamiliar territory that means it has to be regarded as a story strand of it's own - connected to Alien but not to it's sequels.

It was doubtful that the alien would have appeared at all given Ridley's views on it's over exposure, it just didn't inspire him to trot out his own take on what other directors have done with his baby. So he's taken it somewhere new, maybe so new there is no connection, but that is a far better option than a poorly conceived prequel.

Ok, for sure it's not going to be an Aliens vs Marines shoot 'em up, and if that's what anyone's hoping for better to get over it now.

Good luck to Ridley. Whether this film is a stand alone story, or more connected than it's being billed, I'm looking forward to it either way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed