Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (New Album 2010)

Started by Keg, Jul 29, 2010, 09:00:08 PM

Author
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (New Album 2010) (Read 2,286 times)

Keg

Well it's released on Monday (Aug 2nd) here in the UK. Not sure about everywhere else. Ive just downloaded it and listened to it in full (dont worry I'll be buying a physical copy on monday I just couldnt wait). WOW WOW WOW. I was a bit sceptical about how they could pull off something at least equal to 2004's Funeral and 2007's Neon Bible but by god have they done it. Absolutely incredible.

Two words: BUY IT!  ;D

EEV2650

If it's on the same level as the funeral album, I'm definitely gonna scoop it up. I'm so dissociated from the world. I didn't even know this album was being made.

Keg

Keg

Its completely different from both Funeral and Neon Bible, yet its still the same Arcade Fire we know. Its simpler and straight to the point but it works. But dont worry theyve still retained that epic sound. My anticipation for Leeds festival is now sky high.  ;D

Bearing in mind some of these are just recordings from live shows so the audio isnt stellar. Brilliant.

City With No Children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9riPB-OR0nU

Ready To Start - this one has some awesome lyrics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvokOD-EnMw

Half Light II (No Celebration) - blew my mind. nothing like anything id except from Arcade Fire. Im sure theres synths in there. Beautiful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-mJoXbkmEs

We Used To Wait - classic AC. slow building, almost like two seperate songs, with an incredible finale. lovely vocals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqyakRmPNM8

Sprawl II (mountains beyond mountains) - f**king holy hell, its incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_7_XRfTMs

EEV2650

Do you have a favorite song of theirs? Mine has to be 'in the backseat'.

Keg

Quote from: EEV2650 on Jul 29, 2010, 09:42:00 PM
Do you have a favorite song of theirs? Mine has to be 'in the backseat'.

Haha I couldnt choose between Surf City Eastern Block, Lenin, Tunnels, Intervention, Black Wave Bad Vibration, My Body Is A Cage and Power Out. I really couldnt choose. And im sure ill be adding 3 or 4 more to that list very soon.

If you get the time, listen to all those tracks above and cast aside any expectations you have from Arcade Fire because some of them are very different from their previous work. But its truly stellar stuff and a brilliant third album. Im blown away.

EDIT: After listening to the new album several times over the weekend I have to say currently that Sprawl II (mountains beyond mountains) is my new favourite. Regine's vocals have come along brilliantly and she no longer sounds whiny (although that was her style to be fair, and they always were supposed to be a bit raw). Her voice is amazing on this, she's almost shouting at times, yet it still comes out sounding beautiful. Simply stunning. Best track ive heard in years, easily.

On reflection, I thought I would be disapointed by this album simply because i'm such a huge fan my expecatations were too high, and I wouldnt like it if they changed their style. Well I needn't have fear because this album has blown me away.

Keg

Finally a bit of recognition for this quite frankly outstanding band. The Suburbs has been voted as the best album of the year by Q magazine and also gets second spot in NME's Top 50 albums of 2010.

MrLee

after listening to that album id strongly disagree with the merits its got.

But there we go, they didnt impress me at all when they played on Jools Holland either.

ShadowPred

One of the greatest bands ever, one day I too will have 158 members in my band.

MrLee

Quote from: ShadowPred on Dec 05, 2010, 10:35:48 PM
i guess it would help pay the bills

ShadowPred

You know it.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: ShadowPred on Dec 05, 2010, 10:35:48 PM

Theres 7 members who write, produce and record the music. Obviously they then get extra tour members for live shows because theres so many instruments its impossible for them to do it all.

Quote from: MrLee on Dec 05, 2010, 10:30:48 PM
after listening to that album id strongly disagree with the merits its got.

But there we go, they didnt impress me at all when they played on Jools Holland either.

Ive seen them live 3 times (and ill be seeing them again this Sunday in Glasgow) and everytime they've blown me away and moved to tears twice.

ShadowPred

Keg, I was making a joke...

Keg

i know you where. didnt know if you knew though how many there actually were because on stage im sure there can be as many as 15 but theres only 7 that are part of the actual recording band.

ShadowPred

Thank you for your concern.

Keg

Keg

A Grammy and a Brit award eh. Who would of thought it. Usually pop music and more popular, "mainstream" (hate that word but its true in this sense) artists who just happened to have sold more records regardless of quality usually win Brit awards for Best Album. I thought the Grammys was a bit like that too so for The Suburbs to win Best Album at both of them and for the band to get best International Act at The Brits as well, I was quite shocked.

I loved Win Butlers responses. When he got up on stage at The Grammys he was so shocked you could hear him mutter, "What the hell?", into the microphone and at the Brits he cracked a joke about being relatively unknown (compared to the other nominees that is) by saying "Hi were Arcade Fire, look us up on Google".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed