Your opinion on Mears', Steele's & Jones' performances in "Predators"

Started by Tangakkai, Jul 19, 2010, 09:40:22 PM

Author
Your opinion on Mears', Steele's & Jones' performances in "Predators" (Read 4,671 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Wasn't Black supposed to be some kind of Crazy Pissed-off member of a Predator subspecies that goes apeshit for nothing? If yes, they totally pulled it out in the film.

Dusk

Celtic seemed like a very pissed off most the time and still retained his Predator characteristics.

SiL

Crap, little screentime or no.

Mr Black had more than enough screentime to get something, anything, across. He had no personality. It was the worst kind of suit acting - one where the guy doesn't do anything other than exactly what they're told to do. "You see him, pause a bit, then run over", and that's it. No little ticks, no mannerisms, just run from A to B.

They're portrayed as monsters, not characters, which is exactly the opposite of what Stan Winston spent his entire career trying to do.

bleau

It didn't show that much with Falconer and Dog Handler for me to even comment on. They felt vary underused. Black though seemed to have good character, and performance. Black was great with his roars and expressing his rage. I liked his little expression of surprise when he gets up and see's Royce standing there at the end. There was one part I thought he was clunky and his stance looked unnatural, and that is right before he decapitate Classic. He looked like he lost his balance for a sec or two. The Falconer was OK. I didn't notice anything that stood out When he fought Hanzo. His movements were OK, I felt he could of had more potential in fighting style though. The part when he jumps down on the stone was good.

Sol

They looked fine to me. I liked the Hanzo fight, too.

walker31

I agree mostly with those who say they werent that great.  I remember in Predator when the creature would "use the trees".  He could leap from tree to tree, crawl down one face first, and take huge leaps from trees to the ground.  Very light on his feet, even in Predator 2 at the beginning when he carried a body up a building, after killing the drug dealers.  In this one, Classic is running from Black and trips over a log??!!   Very clumbsy and not really athletic at all.  Their movements reminded me of the extra footage from the 15th anniversay Predator dvd, when it showed the original red predator suit moving like a 1950s alien and then they brought in Stan Winston to fix it.  It just looked very much actor in platex suit to me.  And, after watching it several times, I noticed that Classic never closes his mouth at all.  Just moves the mandibles but never closes his mouth.  To me, best creature moment is when Anytime took off his mask and that moment his mouth is closed and the mandibles just wiggle a bit, he looked almost crablike..then gave that roar with his arms wide open..that menacing presence was absent this time I'm afraid.

Alien(nonxeno)traveller

I found their performances quite mixed as a result of a lack of screentime.

Mr. Black - I echo someone once said on this forum that when we first saw Mr. Black decloaking he should've been sitting on a log with his arms folded, like he's too good for this. Later on he's clearly formidable killing Stans and Classic and earns a nice 'Cool guys don't look at explosions' moment when he thinks he's killed Royce. There's also a nice whimpering expression on his face as he's about to die.

Falconer - Some rather strange and graceful movements when jumping into the field, I can see why some reckon Falconer is a female.

Flusher - Absolutely left no impression aside from a silly head cocked turn when he realises he's going to die. Also the slow footsteps were a bit silly.

Classic - Spends most of his time strung up and roaring.

Vecrotus

When Carey Jones played as Tusks he did a decent job, as Falconer, he was crap and too clumsy. Brian Steele did a decent job as Berserker Predator. He wasn't great but he did have his moments. As for Derek Mears. He sucked ass as Classic Predator. I really wished that they cast Ian Whyte as Classic Predator. His performance as Wolf Predator is by far among the best Predators in the Predator franchise.

Urban Hunter

to me ian whyte is the ultimate predator after kph. ian is way much superior to those guys in predators.
although avpr sucked, he gave wolf his own character.

creature creator

i haven't seen anything that bothered me in the movie about the movement. There was one scene were i wasn'r happy with the performance, and that was when classic was running away, lookes really human.

overall i think they did a great job! ;)

JB

LLIT

I think they were good. I liked to see a different movement but I'm going to beat a dead horse again - they were too freakin short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not very intimidating. When classic walks in front of Royce he is only a few inches taller, Ugh! I do think Falconer looked a little goofy in the fight with Hanzo though.

Xenodog

Ummm...Wolf didn't really have that much personality.  :-\

Though, i like Black's relaxed, somewhat arrogant take on things. He's too cool to look at explosions, too cool to look at Falconer after killing Stans, etc.
Though, can really lose his temper like he did with Classic, proved as he knocked him down by nutting him, one of the most thuggish moves you can do, before he humiliates him with decapitation, and (metaphorically) slicks back his hair, relaxes and goes to deal with the trash. (Royce, by blowing up the ship.)

So overall, he's sort of a big headed bully, rather fitting IMO.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenodog on Jul 20, 2010, 06:50:33 PM
Ummm...Wolf didn't really have that much personality.  :-\
Film may be crap but in the ship scene... well that's top-notch.

FUZION PREDATOR

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 19, 2010, 10:00:29 PM
Mears, Steele and Jones didn't do much.. They were more like puppets in suits.

I didn't like their performances at all.

You want a Predator? Look for Kevin Peter Hall, or Ian Whyte for examples. They are good Predator suit actors.

Mears, Steele and Jones were just... hulking around, no grace, no finesse, nothing like which we had seen in the previous movies at all whatsoever.

-Rakai'Thwei

(Pretty) agree

Corporal Hicks

Personally I think we had far too many Predators and too little screen time for the actors to really do much. I would have preferred a single Predator, more time for the actor to develop his character and more screen time for him to show off. Wasn't the best.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed