Could there have been a living Queen aboard the Derelict?

Started by Meathead320, Jul 24, 2007, 02:00:04 AM

Author
Could there have been a living Queen aboard the Derelict? (Read 6,703 times)

Meathead320

Meathead320

Looking back at A1, I noticed that egg silo continued for a good length off the screen. Who knows how deep that chamber went? Or if there was a cavern below the ship, or any possible large enough area to house such a Queen.

We do not know if they have a finite life span, and she may be capable of hibernating virtually indefinitely. If there had been a few dozen eggs there, I would have guess that the Alien may have morphed them, but seeing as there were eggs en-masse, perhaps there was a Queen.

I would figure a very large Queen. My personal taken on the Queen version of DNA reflex, is that she takes far less DNA from the host . Not none all together, but certainly less than a typical Adult. One of the things I believe she would be influenced by is the relative size of her host however.

For example, if a human male is just under 6ft average, and a typical human hosted Queen is 18 foot. If one used a 20 foot tall host, on a world of giants, she would be 60 foot tall, but otherwise look like any other Queen, or at least vary in appearance very little other than her over-all-size.

The eggs however would not receive the size genes, and all facehuggers would be born with a clean DNA slate any way.

Part of my argument of her size being influenced is that there is a reason she is huge in the first place. Her relative giant size IS one of her survival attributes, and the same reason she is over twice as tall as a Regular adult. That and size varies intra species for all known life forms as is, so Queen size variance is a minimal DNA trait dependant on the host, and thus not enough of a DNA exchange to corrupt the Alien DNA in further generations.  It may not even have to "take" the size DNA, but just adapt to the hosts DNA by mutliplying her own growth genes, in order to have the same 3x host height.

The concept of the Queen coming from an 20 foot space Jockey, and being smaller than its host also seems absurd to me.

So could there have been a still living, giant Queen, aboard the Derelict, that the Nostromo crew simply never found, nor the colonist at Hadley's?

SM

Anything's possible certainly, but personally I don't dig on the idea.

Pvt. Hicks

An offscreen Queen in Alien? Hey, makes it all the more scary. I like that idea.

Haloxpok3mon

Sorry but there are a couple big flaws in this.

Quote from: Meathead320 on Jul 24, 2007, 02:00:04 AM
We do not know if they have a finite life span, and she may be capable of hibernating virtually indefinitely. If there had been a few dozen eggs there, I would have guess that the Alien may have morphed them, but seeing as there were eggs en-masse, perhaps there was a Queen.

If your talking about the eggs in the derelict, those were placed there by the "space jockeys" species.

I would figure a very large Queen. My personal taken on the Queen version of DNA reflex, is that she takes far less DNA from the host . Not none all together, but certainly less than a typical Adult. One of the things I believe she would be influenced by is the relative size of her host however.

For example, if a human male is just under 6ft average, and a typical human hosted Queen is 18 foot. If one used a 20 foot tall host, on a world of giants, she would be 60 foot tall, but otherwise look like any other Queen, or at least vary in appearance very little other than her over-all-size.

Sorry but queens are purebreeds and are not naturally effected by the host DNA.

The eggs however would not receive the size genes, and all facehuggers would be born with a clean DNA slate any way.

Part of my argument of her size being influenced is that there is a reason she is huge in the first place. Her relative giant size IS one of her survival attributes, and the same reason she is over twice as tall as a Regular adult. That and size varies intra species for all known life forms as is, so Queen size variance is a minimal DNA trait dependant on the host, and thus not enough of a DNA exchange to corrupt the Alien DNA in further generations.  It may not even have to "take" the size DNA, but just adapt to the hosts DNA by mutliplying her own growth genes, in order to have the same 3x host height.

The concept of the Queen coming from an 20 foot space Jockey, and being smaller than its host also seems absurd to me.

So could there have been a still living, giant Queen, aboard the Derelict, that the Nostromo crew simply never found, nor the colonist at Hadley's?

Once again, the queen is a purebreed.

SiL

Quote from: Haloxpok3mon on Jul 24, 2007, 06:52:43 AM
If your talking about the eggs in the derelict, those were placed there by the "space jockeys" species.
Only according to O'Bannon and Scott. According to you, only the theatrical releases of the films are canon, so that idea holds no weight ;)

Haloxpok3mon

Quote from: SiL on Jul 24, 2007, 07:05:07 AM
Only according to O'Bannon and Scott. According to you, only the theatrical releases of the films are canon, so that idea holds no weight ;)

LOL I guess I deserved that.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah. What he said ^^ But I also remember hearing someone - Ridley? - say that the Eggs were the remains of the ships crew?

Highland

there could have been, but then she would have to have been restrained (like AVP) as the eggs seemed to be in some sort of order, and also covered with the "alarm" system if you like.

SM

QuoteBut I also remember hearing someone - Ridley? - say that the Eggs were the remains of the ships crew?

Nah, Ridley was more for the bomber idea.  The crew being egg morphed is hinted at by Lambert, then we get the payoff when Ripley finds Brett and Dallas.

Corporal Hicks

Noir-Gojira

SM

QuoteWho said it then?

No one to my knowledge.  I've been saying it for years, but I don't recall anything official.

Meathead320

Meathead320

Sorry but there are a couple big flaws in this.

Once again, the queen is a purebreed.

;)

That is only said in a video game, and is not canon.

We have seen 3 Queens, one was a mutant, and one we do not know the host of, which had significantly different features than the other two. 

There is evidence that they are certainly less like their hosts, but there may be some things they still do get. Size possibly advantage consistency being one of them, or perhaps the only one thing influenced.

I do not agree with Queens being entirely purebred. Only the portion of the genetic code necessary to pass on to her eggs need be pure. That does not mean that her DNA needs to be. For all we know only 10% of her total DNA needs to be passed to make a facehugger. The is no Canon specific "be-all end-all" way of how the genes are transmitted.

It is possible that no Alien genes are ever lost, in any Queen or even regular adult.

After all., if the egg morphing theory is to work, then all Adults contain, somewhere in them, the entire genetic code of a Queen. That is if egg morphing can make a Queen egg, which is basically what it is supposed to eventually do.

Back to the point, AVP extinction, is NOT Canon, and it has never been shown as a fact in the movies that the Queens get nothing what so ever from their host. If this were true, then why the difference in how the AVP and A2 Queens looked? One was clearly bigger, and had serrated edges on her crest, could she have had a human host? Possibly, but no way to be sure. Maybe some other creature. The jury is still out on that and always will be.

We have NOT seen a Queen come from a different host. We assume that she takes nothing, and part of that logic is that her design is so complex, it is hard to add into the features of another organism. But over-all-size, is not changing the way she looks, just making her bigger.

Then there is the analogy of growing an Atlantic giant pumpkin in manure and compost mix, VS. sand. You can grow one in both to maturity, but one will weigh 10 pounds, and the other can be OVER 1000 pounds. Even if the seeds both came from the same initial fruit. The genetics can be the same, but that is a reason that you could have two "pure bred" (if you insist) Queens, of different size from different hosts even if there is no DNA exchange.

ShadowPred

Quote from: Noir-Gojira on Jul 25, 2007, 05:51:29 PM
The Batman

LOL, I just burst out laughing when I read Hicks and yours in quick succession.

slipknotpredator

Many eggs doesn´t mean giant queen...in a super market you can see many chiken eggs, and there isn´t a huge chiken laying those eggs  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed