"Alien Redesign" speculation

Started by Major Alan Schaefer, Jun 24, 2010, 11:46:32 PM

Author
"Alien Redesign" speculation (Read 31,008 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jul 19, 2010, 05:09:13 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jul 19, 2010, 01:14:29 PM
I don't know how the Aliens in the second film were less menacing than the first's. I mean, when the marines first arrived they were quite literally owned. Same goes for the further encounters.

It's not about pure badassery, it's about charisma, or the eldritch, abominable version of it. If two people speak to you with exactly the same words, you're more likely to pay attention to the charismatic, personable one, right? If a monster leers at you, you're going to pay more attention to the one that seems to carry hell in its head and steel in its fingers.

The first Alien just had presence that the Cameraliens couldn't stand up to.
Well, speak for yourself. Kane's Son was a lazy bastard in the Narcissus. I usually turn off around there.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I suppose as long it is recognizably alien, I wont mid too much. I'm certainly very apprehensive about it, but I can't imagine it would completely violate the spirit of the creature (that was established in the core franchise).

I would like to see a "standard" Kane's Son type alien at some point in the film though.  :-\

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

This was only because you never saw too much of the alien all at once. It was terrifying to see only parts of it which of course was also to hide the fact that it was a rubber suit and the film had a relatively low budget. Ridley squeezed the most of it and made what would have been another b-movie into an a-movie classic.
     The aliens had to have that ridged design in Aliens to blend in with the hive structures. Besides I found that armored, exoskeleton look quite menacing. If a perfect blend of that design and that of the first film could be accomplished, you'd have the perfect alien design.

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

I don't know if it would be a good film if they used this idea, but I would like the concept of the Jockeys making several different experimentational aliens until they finally "perfect" it with the 1979 model, which we will see in the end of the movie. Or something.

I just wanna see that specific alien return to the movies someday...

As for the redesign, I would like it if it didn't look too weird, but I really happen to be the fanbitch who will probably happen to hate the new alien. Lets hope not. Please get Giger.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

If a monster leers at you, you're going to pay more attention to the one that seems to carry hell in its head and steel in its fingers.
Description fits both versions of the Alien personally. Don't see how the Hadley's Hope Aliens weren't charismatic. They were fast and silent avatars of death.

The first Alien just had presence that the Cameraliens couldn't stand up to.
I see this is a bit (lot) subjective then. The Aliens had no less presence than the first.

---

Regarding the redesign, if the Jockeys truely genetically engineered the Aliens I wanna see the original species.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jul 19, 2010, 09:50:54 PM
Regarding the redesign, if the Jockeys truely genetically engineered the Aliens I wanna see the original species.

As do I, but only if they're inter-dimensional mind devouring old gods.

I WILL NOT COMPROMISE ON THIS.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

PLUS ONE.

Although I prefer the Aliens having origins that the universe just forgot, with the significance of the Jockeys being that they used the Aliens as a blueprint for their technology, revering them as (dangerous, volatile) symbols of scientific nirvana. Which would nod neatly to Kane's Son's (say that ten times fast) curiosity aboard the Nostromo.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Jockeys are the middle men

I can dig it.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

As much as I dig the original Alien design, I want to see something new in the "Alien" Franchise that doesn't lack the biomechanic design (last seen in "Aliens" with the Alien Queen).

That's why I would absolutely go crazy if H. R. Giger would work on this project.

Mr.blue

Mr.blue

im looking forward to it,i have complete faith in scott,he's a great film maker,and has the utmost respect for the films,and the creature,my only worry is geiger,i hope he's in on it,because otherwise i dont think the creature we will see will be as good as it could be with him on board,if youve seen the interviews of him from when they were making alien 3,you can see the love he has for it,and you can tell he was royally pissed when they rejected him,he has a great enthusiasm for his art,and i thin kthat he regards alien as one of his crowning achievements

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

Ridley Scott is aware of the love for the original creature. With that knowledge, I imagine that the '79 Xenomorph will be involved in story, though it will -in all probability- not be taking center stage. I'm am all in favor of Ridley bringing something new, ambitious, and "savage" -as Scott has put it- to the table. I only strongly, strongly request that Giger is primarily involved.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The only element he really needs to keep, I think, is the face. The eyeless with teeth.

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

I agree. I find the face to be the most iconic part of the creature. People haven't seemed to mind with other altercations in the past. I think that's part of what makes it freaky. It has no eyes or ears, and it can still kick your ass.

"Leave my face alone. Please, for my motha."

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

I would have to say that not only the face makes it unique, but the dome adds a lot of character to it, sets it apart from other, less spectacular creatures like pumpkinhead.

TheChazmoch

TheChazmoch

I should have clarified. I was referring to the dome as well. Speaking of Pumpkinhead, just how many monsters has Lance Henriksen killed or been killed by? He seems to be public enemy number one to them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed