Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,573 times)

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:18:29 AM
Yeah, but the fact is, the universe is constantly expanding. Therefore, it never ends, therefore, it is the very definition of infinity.

That depends on which school of thought you follow on the subject.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2010, 01:21:04 AM
How do we know it's always expanding?
Because measurements of the distances of other Galaxies from us are getting larger (i.e they're ALL moving away from us at astonishing speeds...). And the fact is, it's not as if it's slowing down, either: the universe is actually accelerating in its expansion.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Lie on Sep 18, 2010, 01:16:49 AM
I have only one thing left to say;

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/2/128857691245251724.jpg

Goodnight Gentlemen.  :)
2 + 2 will still equal 4 the next morning. Nighty night.

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:18:29 AM
Yeah, but the fact is, the universe is constantly expanding. Therefore, it never ends, therefore, it is the very definition of infinity.
I used to have a boss who was the biggest, fattest son of a bitch you ever saw. He was constantly expanding. Some day, he's gonna die. The Universe, too is going to die. One theory is The Big Crunch.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 18, 2010, 01:21:04 AM
How do we know it's always expanding?
Re-read that article.

BANE

BANE

Actually maledoro, now that they have discovered that the universe is always expanding (and doing so at an ever increasing speed), they no longer believe that the Big Crunch will happen, but rather something like a Big Tear (i.e the universe will keep expanding until it literally rips itself apart, unlike the Big Crunch, where they thought it would stop expanding and eventually converge back in on itself).

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:26:27 AM
they no longer believe.....

There's that word again  :D

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Vulhala on Sep 18, 2010, 01:32:19 AM
they no longer believe.....

There's that word again  :D
Well it's not as if they can predict ANY future, so how the universe will end is a mystery to everyone. But at this moment, the size of the universe is the very definition of infinite.

maledoro

maledoro

Actually maledoro, now that they have discovered that the universe is always expanding (and doing so at an ever increasing speed), they no longer believe that the Big Crunch will happen, but rather something like a Big Tear (i.e the universe will keep expanding until it literally rips itself apart, unlike the Big Crunch, where they thought it would stop expanding and eventually converge back in on itself).
Actually, BLAIN, there are four major demises anticipated, and the Big Crunch is still a contender.

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:33:23 AM
Well it's not as if they can predict ANY future, so how the universe will end is a mystery to everyone.
They can make accurate guesses.

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:33:23 AM
But at this moment, the size of the universe is the very definition of infinite.
Missed that article about the size of the universe, did you? Or, maybe, you are not aware of the definition of "infinite"? Or, you might have missed out on that short explanation I gave DoomRulz? Or, maybe that bit about how scientists are predicting the end of the universe's existence? If the universe doesn't go on forever (both temporally and spatially), it's not infinite.

chupacabras acheronsis

wonder, if the universe tears apart, would it change anything but effectively create more smaller separate universes?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Sep 18, 2010, 01:46:21 AM
wonder, if the universe tears apart, would it change anything but effectively create more smaller separate universes?
No, because even atoms would be torn apart.

BANE

BANE

QuoteActually, BLAIN, there are four major demises anticipated, and the Big Crunch is still a contender.
Still, not held as highly as it once was.

QuoteThey can make accurate guesses.
True. That's what science is, for the most part.

QuoteMissed that article about the size of the universe, did you? Or, maybe, you are not aware of the definition of "infinite"? Or, you might have missed out on that short explanation I gave DoomRulz? Or, maybe that bit about how scientists are predicting the end of the universe's existence? If the universe doesn't go on forever (both temporally and spatially), it's not infinite.
First of all, no need to be rude. I was being friendly, and you outright attacked me. Or that's how it comes across. So please stop.
Second, yes, I read your article. But I distinctly recall it saying "The universe is at least 156 billion light-years wide." Then, this says that the universe is still expanding, 6 years after your article was printed. Therefore, the Universe is getting bigger.
Thirdly, I am very well aware of the definition of infinite. If it is constantly expanding, such as in the number of decimal places in pi, then it is infinite.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:55:08 AM
Still, not held as highly as it once was.
Just because there are other options, it's appeal hasn't weakened.

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 01:55:08 AM
QuoteThey can make accurate guesses.
True. That's what science is, for the most part.
According to religious zealots and others who do not understand science.

As for infinity, it would be endless. The universe isn't.

BANE

BANE

QuoteJust because there are other options, it's appeal hasn't weakened.
That is true. But from the articles I've read on the matter, the general impression I got was that its acceleration (instead of deceleration) was an indicator that it isn't going to slow down, as the big crunch theory states. However, I don't deny it's validity...even though I have begun to seriously question it.

QuoteAccording to religious zealots and others who do not understand science.
A lot of science is accurate guesses. Even scientists understand this. Why is it only religious zealots who don't understand science who think this?

As for infinity, it would be endless. The universe isn't.
Well...my reasoning is that the universes "end" is constantly moving away from us, thus it can never be truely reached. But that's just my understanding of it.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 18, 2010, 02:06:43 AM
A lot of science is accurate guesses. Even scientists understand this.
"A lot" is not the same thing as "all" or even "most" or "half". Plus, a scientific theory is much more than just "an accurate guess".

Why is it only religious zealots who don't understand science who think this?
There are non-religious people who don't understand science, too. They are the "others" I had mentioned.

Well...my reasoning is that the universes "end" is constantly moving away from us, thus it can never be truely reached. But that's just my understanding of it.
It still has boundaries.

chupacabras acheronsis

at what speed does the universe expands anyways?

BANE

BANE

Quote"A lot" is not the same thing as "all" or even "most" or "half". Plus, a scientific theorie is much more than just "an accurate guess".
That's why I said "for the most part". Although in re-reading what I had posted, I can see why there would be confusion. In no way did I mean "all". I'm saying that just for clarification.
And I know that a scientific theory is more than an accurate guess: it is a well thought out, well articulated, well-backed hypothesis with plenty of evidence to support it. However, when one dumbs it down, all it is (really) is an accurate guess.

QuoteIt still has boundaries.
Yeah, I know. But they're expanding away from us at an ever increasing speed...I don't know. I guess it could be infinitely finite?

Quoteat what speed does the universe expands anyways?
It's accelerating, meaning the speed at which it is expanding gets larger and larger all the time. At one moment, the speed is less than at another.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed