Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,924 times)

BANE

BANE

Civilization?
Can I say lazy fatties? Or is that wrong?
People with entitlement issues?

Purebreedalien

Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 19, 2010, 06:37:07 PM
Quote from: Purebreedalien on Aug 19, 2010, 06:35:14 PM
Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 19, 2010, 06:28:45 PM
What kind of pistol? And has he ever served in the Armed Forces?

I wouldn't know, I know absolutely nothing about guns. I don't know about the second one.

I'm useless.  :D

Cool. Just remember not to piss him off then  ;)

Haha, I know for certain he's not the kind of guy that would pull a gun on someone. Plus, when ammo is locked up seperately I think the dramatic effect is lost.

*Whips out gun*

"Oh hold on, just need to get the ammo."

*Other guy runs*

:D

Quote from: Purebreedalien on Aug 19, 2010, 06:27:39 PM
Just sticking my oar in, as it were.

My Mum's boyfriend has a rifle, and a pistol, but he has a license. He only uses them when he hunts deer or goes out foxing, obviously.

yeah i said shotguns and hunting rifles are generally not illegal, and i said "pretty much" by which i mean "most of the time" so there are obviously exceptions.

Purebreedalien

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 19, 2010, 06:47:38 PM
Quote from: Purebreedalien on Aug 19, 2010, 06:27:39 PM
Just sticking my oar in, as it were.

My Mum's boyfriend has a rifle, and a pistol, but he has a license. He only uses them when he hunts deer or goes out foxing, obviously.

yeah i said shotguns and hunting rifles are generally not illegal, and i said "pretty much" by which i mean "most of the time" so there are obviously exceptions.

The comment wasn't aimed at you, I just felt like joining the conversation. :D

Sorry for confusion.

EEV2650

EEV2650

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2010, 03:11:00 AM
When he turns 30, he'll add 20-somethings to the list.

Or simply 'Anyone younger than me' to save keyboard wear and tear.

I'm sure you're right

[Alpha]Frost

STAGECOACH BUSSES!

Vulhala

Vulhala

Quote from: [Alpha]Frost on Aug 19, 2010, 09:32:24 PM
STAGECOACH BUSSES!

Oh, how I agree. They are the sole reason I've applied for a driving license.

PredalienXenomorph

Quote from: BLAIN on Aug 19, 2010, 04:26:35 PM
Quoteand in my opinion they should really have no place in civilised society.
While I (and most canadians) agree with having laws controlling posession of guns (i.e restricting it),

You don't live in BC do you?

DrGediman

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 19, 2010, 06:04:29 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Aug 19, 2010, 03:36:17 PM
Quote from: Vulhala on Aug 19, 2010, 03:30:27 PM
Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Aug 19, 2010, 03:20:31 PM
not to mention that most people think its Illegal to own guns there, but its just ridiculously hard. senseless since Gun Control is proved to not do a damn thing.

It is illeagal to own 99% of firearms in this country, and I'm very happy about that. And yes 'senseless gun control' has done a damn thing, as I'd never even seen one until I went to America last year.

It doesnt do a damn thing because Crimes are not commited with LEGAL guns, they are not bought legally and Outlawing them wont stop criminals from owning one if they really want to. thats why there is still Gun crime in countries like the UK, Germany and Australia.

Gun Control only works for people who obbey the law. Criminals dont.

just a few things

a) the fact that there is tough gun control means it's almost impossible for criminals to get their hands on guns

b) the way gun control is, pretty much, if you are seen with a gun that isn't a shotgun or hunting rifle, you MUST be a criminal, and someone will report you, therefore it is counter-productive for criminals to even try to have guns,

therefore criminals generally don't bother with guns.

lol, 'banning' guns never 'bans' guns.  It only takes them out of the hands of law-abiding people.  Organised gangs, such as Mafia and the police/military will keep their guns.  And gain more power as a result.  Powerful groups get more power, while the little people become defenceless.  That's what gun bans do.

Quote from: Wristblades on Aug 20, 2010, 10:28:11 AM
not to mention that most people think its Illegal to own guns there, but its just ridiculously hard. senseless since Gun Control is proved to not do a damn thing.

It is illeagal to own 99% of firearms in this country, and I'm very happy about that. And yes 'senseless gun control' has done a damn thing, as I'd never even seen one until I went to America last year.

It doesnt do a damn thing because Crimes are not commited with LEGAL guns, they are not bought legally and Outlawing them wont stop criminals from owning one if they really want to. thats why there is still Gun crime in countries like the UK, Germany and Australia.

just a few things

a) the fact that there is tough gun control means it's almost impossible for criminals to get their hands on guns

b) the way gun control is, pretty much, if you are seen with a gun that isn't a shotgun or hunting rifle, you MUST be a criminal, and someone will report you, therefore it is counter-productive for criminals to even try to have guns,

lol, 'banning' guns never 'bans' guns.  It only takes them out of the hands of law-abiding people.  Organised gangs, such as Mafia and the police/military will keep their guns.  And gain more power as a result.  Powerful groups get more power, while the little people become defenceless.  That's what gun bans do.

are you saying that from experience, or just right wing propaganda?

DrGediman

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 10:47:06 AM
Quote from: Wristblades on Aug 20, 2010, 10:28:11 AM

just a few things

are you saying that from experience, or just right wing propaganda?

From reading dozens of news articles.

so propaganda then.

the fact that gun crime in the UK is only about 10 thousand counts per year
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6960431.stm

in the US (from 93-01) only 10% of violent crime involves fire arms, but 60-80% of murders involve fire-arms in the UK fire-arms are only used in 0.41% of crimes, (02-03)
http://www.guncrime.org/laws.html

in 2002, there were over 9 thousand murders by firearms in the USA. in the UK there was 14.
not 14 thousand, just 14,
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

i think the statistics spreak for themselves

DrGediman

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 11:35:40 AM
so propaganda then.

So?

Quotein the US (from 93-01) only 10% of violent crime involves fire arms, but 60-80% of murders involve fire-arms in the UK fire-arms are only used in 0.41% of crimes, (02-03)

So what's your conclusion, then?

Quotein 2002, there were over 9 thousand murders by firearms in the USA. in the UK there was 14.

It's better to use rate rather than count if you're trying to prove something. 

Quotei think the statistics spreak for themselves

Statistics is just raw data. 

Quote from: Wristblades on Aug 20, 2010, 11:45:01 AM
so propaganda then.

So?

Quotein the US (from 93-01) only 10% of violent crime involves fire arms, but 60-80% of murders involve fire-arms in the UK fire-arms are only used in 0.41% of crimes, (02-03)

Quotein 2002, there were over 9 thousand murders by firearms in the USA. in the UK there was 14.

So? look at the other statistics i posted

i conclude that gun bans stop guns from being used in crimes, your argument was that gun bans don't do anything but take guns out of law abiding people, which is obviously false

at that scale, the difference is clear, even though america has a mere 4 times the population of the UK, it has almost 700 times as many murders by firearm.

i know it's just raw data, but who am i to tell you how to interpret it?

DrGediman

Quote from: AvatarIII on Aug 20, 2010, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: Wristblades on Aug 20, 2010, 11:45:01 AM
so propaganda then.

So?

So? look at the other statistics i posted

i conclude that gun bans stop guns from being used in crimes, your argument was that gun bans don't do anything but take guns out of law abiding people, which is obviously false

Your conclusion doesn't mean anything.  Stopping guns from being used in crime is not the same thing as stopping crime, which is the only meaningful conclusion you can make.

Quoteat that scale, the difference is clear, even though america has a mere 4 times the population of the UK, it has almost 700 times as many murders by firearm.

And yet you above posted the statistic that only 10% of violent crime in the US involves firearms.  How about expanding on those statistics and try and prove that banning guns has affected the overall murder rate?  For some reason, anti-gun people seem to think getting killed by a gun is much worse than being killed by other means.

Quotei know it's just raw data, but who am i to tell you how to interpret it?

You are interpreting it to fit your theories.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed