Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,620 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

It's a perfect movie... for 13 year old boys who play lots of Halo ;D

Oh cool shiny post-apocalyptic future, whoa I'm handsome and badass and whoa now there's TWO hot chicks in contention for my space D, and holy shit now I'm the chosen one?!!! and man look at my awesome shiny spaceship thing and cool motorbike wow gotta shoot some stuff pew pew pew oh no now I gotta heroically sacrifice myself with a nuke by flying into the alien ship like Independence Day with my wise negro father figure but it's okay cuz I got a bunch of Moon clones for a happy unchallenging ending.

Come on, Rage :P

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Nope, I could write Pages on why Oblivion fails where Prometheus succeeds.

In 30 years Prometheus will still look real due to the lack of CG and if the trilogy is successful it will be known at least as a decent Sci-Fi.

Oblivion will look like shiny shit with tons of Cliches and a story so full of twists No-one cares.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 24, 2014, 11:03:20 PM
In 30 years Prometheus will still look real due to the lack of CG
what. It's almost wall-to-wall CGI.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 24, 2014, 11:04:17 PM
Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 24, 2014, 11:03:20 PM
In 30 years Prometheus will still look real due to the lack of CG
what. It's almost wall-to-wall CGI.

What? Apart from the backgrounds, trilobite and the chair-rising sequence it's entirely practical.
I watched the Furious Gods Doc, and I'm aware that Ridley prefers Practical almost entirely unless it's impractical.

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 24, 2014, 11:02:04 PM
It's a perfect movie... for 13 year old boys who play lots of Halo ;D

lol its design pedigree is a couple of levels beyond halo... jus sayin.

Kolinski was an architect, dude knows his shit.

also the M83 soundtrack was solid forgot about that.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 24, 2014, 11:06:49 PM
What? Apart from the backgrounds, trilobite and the chair-rising sequence it's entirely practical.
I watched the Furious Gods Doc, and I'm aware that Ridley prefers Practical almost entirely unless it's impractical.
Every planet exterior, every spaceship shot, almost every creature effect, every holographic computer display is CGI. There's barely a shot in the film that doesn't feature some CG effect.

Eva

Eva

Well, I thought Oblivion was ok, although the ending was rather terrible. Is it impossible for the Americans today to make dystopian sci-fi without smacking a happy-end on the thing?

Someone call Terry Gilliam, please.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 24, 2014, 11:09:13 PM
Every planet exterior, every spaceship shot, almost every creature effect, every holographic computer display is CGI. There's barely a shot in the film that doesn't feature some CG effect.

Yes, but only because you can't have real holographic displays. :laugh:

Only when it's impractical, hell they even built parts of Prometheus for exterior shots and shook it so it gave a real feel. Specifically when David's on the bridge at the beginning I think.

Difference is that all Prometheus CG is only used when it would look better than practical or where it's impractical.
And it has enough detail to give it grit.

But in Oblivion everything is just shiny tin-foil style with nearly no practical sets.

RagingDragon

Lol Cvalda, you could break down a lot of sci-fi movies that way. I think previously formed expectations play a big role here.

Spoiler
I was expecting a lot of 'I'm Tom Cruise' and a loud, stupid-as-hell sci-fi run and gun action fest shot full of plot holes. Oblivion, in reality, is a smartly told film that makes good use of often overused cliches. The action scenes were fine, no blatant wank superhero/I'm in an action game crap besides obligatory dogfight scene, but dat ship was too cool not to have that.

Tom Cruise was believable, and his character's actions weren't distracting given he was a well-trained and highly capable Astronaut prior to being cloned en-masse and used as a soldier. The love story was fine, and the hate sounds like it comes from 'forever alone' brain rather than objective analysis of film events. :laugh:

Having the clone that finally found his wife able to jog his memories and return him to his 'real' self he was otherwise searching for was touching. An effective love story, especially given Andrea Riseboroughs great performance. The scene after she's killed, and then Tom Cruise goes to the other Tom's platform and asks her to go with him was especially powerfu in the way they built it upl. Loved it.

The Independence Day ending was, of course, pretty knock-off, but on the back of the rest of the film, I really didn't give a shit by that point.

Spoiler
[close]

Like I said previously, big budget films are gonna have cliches, no avoiding it. For me my opinion is formed by how they're used. You could say the same thing about the 'turn the ship sideways and escape through the crack while the bad guys crash into it' scene that's been in an infinity billion movies, but does anyone really care? That's just hollywood.
[close]

And the comments about Prometheus and Oblivion have gone off the rails. You guys can't be serious about that.

Concepts and design in Oblivion were excellent, some of the most original outside of Blomkamp we've had in years. Well if it's round and shiny, must be halo! Hurr it's not gritty! What about the scavengers, who were completely the opposite of the giant, sterile, alien-machine-produced technology that still looked, cleverly, vaguely human?

Most movies are so generic and/or just plain bad, you'd think people would have more balanced criticisms. I'll take sterile, sleek-looking Halo all day over Michael Bay Roboflop 'I graduated from art college last week' shit.

SM

SM

Quote from: The1PerfectOrganism on Feb 24, 2014, 11:15:47 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Feb 24, 2014, 11:09:13 PM

Yes, but only because you can't have real holographic displays. :laugh:

Only when it's impractical, hell they even built parts of Prometheus for exterior shots and shook it so it gave a real feel. Specifically when David's on the bridge at the beginning I think.

Difference is that all Prometheus CG is only used when it would look better than practical or where it's impractical.
And it has enough detail to give it grit.

But in Oblivion everything is just shiny tin-foil style with nearly no practical sets.

They built sets - same as they did for most other flicks.  Some were very big.

But Cvalda's right.  There is barely a frame in that film that doesn't have some digital jiggery pokery going on.

Vickers

Vickers

Oblivion was okay but I could have done without all those silly flashbacks and the lame "reveal." Also, Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman were just there for the audience pull. They offered nothing interesting in terms of performances.

Visually strong but flawed.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Cruise is a solid actor and he did a well enough job here, so I guess he offered that. As well as anyone could have done with the role, I'd say.

Rong

Rong

Quote from: Vickers on Feb 24, 2014, 11:41:36 PM
Oblivion was okay but I could have done without all those silly flashbacks and the lame "reveal." Also, Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman were just there for the audience pull. They offered nothing interesting in terms of performances.

Visually strong but flawed.

Yep the flashbacks were cheesy and cheap especially in the way they were presented. if i remember they were serpia tones... niqqa plz.

RagingDragon

Lol Rong. I agree with Vickers and y'all. I think they could've replaced Tom Cruise and/or Freeman with damn near anyone who looked the part and gotten the same effect. But I still think Cruise was decent in the film.

To add to that, I think he has some pull to enforce a level of quality on his movies that's consistent. I'm almost beginning to trust that if Cruise is in a film, it's not going to be stupid as all motherf**k. It might not be great or ground-breaking, but there will be a basic level of movie-watching I can expect, without slapping myself, getting immediately drunk, or generally being offended by the thing.

Rong

Rong

RD i like the film If only for pure aesthetic reasons, it certainly ain't past criticism, but you right you could do a whole lot worse for a film, especially in scifi.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed