Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,753 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 01:37:03 AM
I merely meant the definition, not the presence in society. Thanks for misunderstanding, idiot.
At least my arrogance is earned.

BANE

BANE

See, that's exactly it. I think if you've earned a position (such as, say, a doctor) then putting people who are clearly idiots in their place for questioning you persistently and failing to see reason shouldn't be considered arrogance. That's what I meant by widespread: if it applies to any flaunting of superiority, that's a vast, spread-out definition. Thus, I think it should be context-based. Ergo, my statement "if you want to make it that widespread, go ahead".

Predator Queen

Trolls that disguise themselves as real member but really there trolls...

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Predator Queen on Apr 14, 2011, 01:48:48 AM
Trolls that disguise themselves as real member but really there trolls...

Sneaky, sneaky ninjas.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 01:44:40 AM
See, that's exactly it. I think if you've earned a position (such as, say, a doctor) then putting people who are clearly idiots in their place for questioning you persistently and failing to see reason shouldn't be considered arrogance. That's what I meant by widespread: if it applies to any flaunting of superiority, that's a vast, spread-out definition. Thus, I think it should be context-based. Ergo, my statement "if you want to make it that widespread, go ahead".

He's being facecious. The point Mal, and SM, are making is that a person can be arrogant if they're getting in your face about something and making you sound like a fool.

I could write a whole paragraph on why T.Rex is a pure hunter and not a lazy scavenger and call you a fool for not knowing as much about the subject as I do. That would be arrogance because I'm being an asshole about it.

Or, I write the paragraph and simply make my statement. If you ask me a question and I gently explain it to you, that's not arrogance.

SM

SM

QuoteEven if they are? Is it really arrogance if you're calling it like it is?

You can tell it like it is without belittling people.  Let them hang themselves with their own words, rather than name calling.

QuoteI mean, by that logic, anyone calling anybody else something mean is arrogant...

No it isn't.  I can call someone a f**kwit completely exclusive of arguiing with them about anything.

Of course I'd generally do it from the relative safety of a different continent.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You wimp.

BANE

BANE

QuoteI could write a whole paragraph on why T.Rex is a pure hunter and not a lazy scavenger and call you a fool for not knowing as much about the subject as I do. That would be arrogance because I'm being an asshole about it.

Ok. I understand that: that's just flat out being textbook asshole.

QuoteOr, I write the paragraph and simply make my statement. If you ask me a question and I gently explain it to you, that's not arrogance.

Understood. But then where do we draw the line between asshole and arrogance? Are they synonymous? Is there any way to use one's credentials in a matter that then wouldn't come across as arrogant? Or do you all suggest no use of credentials whatsoever, and anything you've earned just be thrown out the window when talking to others, unless one wants to be called arrogant?

QuoteYou can tell it like it is without belittling people.  Let them hang themselves with their own words, rather than name calling.
True.

QuoteNo it isn't.  I can call someone a f**kwit completely exclusive of arguiing with them about anything.

Of course I'd generally do it from the relative safety of a different continent.
Such is the joy of the internet. No one gets into proper fistfights anymore, and even if they do, the law interferes, unfortunately.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 02:00:06 AM
QuoteI could write a whole paragraph on why T.Rex is a pure hunter and not a lazy scavenger and call you a fool for not knowing as much about the subject as I do. That would be arrogance because I'm being an asshole about it.

Ok. I understand that: that's just flat out being textbook asshole.

QuoteOr, I write the paragraph and simply make my statement. If you ask me a question and I gently explain it to you, that's not arrogance.

Understood. But then where do we draw the line between asshole and arrogance? Are they synonymous? Is there any way to use one's credentials in a matter that then wouldn't come across as arrogant? Or do you all suggest no use of credentials whatsoever, and anything you've earned just be thrown out the window when talking to others, unless one wants to be called arrogant?

I would say they're synonymous, yes. In my experience, people only state their credentials when they feel the other person is speaking rubbish and usually the person with the background is in the right, anyway.

SM

BANE

BANE

Alright. It just gets me so angry when I hear people questioning those with credentials when they've read something on the internet. It's happening with doctors now, too, where they're having their treatments questioned based upon stuff patients have read on the internet. I found this appalling and kind of got me angry, and in such a case I thought listing credentials (which had previously been considered arrogant in this thread) was fine and completely justified and didn't put the clearly in the right doctor down as arrogant.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

The thing is, you may have the credentials but that doesn't mean you're always right. Doctors always say a baby can only be born in a sanitized environment for a delivery to be successful yet there are millions of babies born in Africa in the middle of the jungle and they turn out just fine.

SM

SM

Not sure about that example.  I don't know any doctor who'd say a baby can "only" be born in a sanitised environment, when it's demonstrably untrue.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Some; not all. The point I wanted to make though was even though having the credentials helps, it doesn't mean someone will be correct in every situation.

SM

SM

Indeed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed