Things you just hate in the world

Started by Dark Passenger, May 26, 2010, 04:35:29 AM

Author
Things you just hate in the world (Read 409,766 times)

SM

SM

No I think it's just ignorance.

Arrogance is generally a sense of superiority - which might actually be deserved - as in my case.

Prole.

Sharp Sticks

They're as free as animals.

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 05:00:51 AM
No I think it's just ignorance.

Arrogance is generally a sense of superiority - which might actually be deserved - as in my case.

Prole.

i wouldn't call a deserved sense of importance "arrogance"

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: AvatarIII on Apr 13, 2011, 09:01:39 AMi wouldn't call a deserved sense of importance "arrogance"
Sure you can. If a person knows what they are talking about and wants to rub other people's noses in it, it's still arrogance. If you know that somebody knows about something, you wouldn't call it arrogant if he said this to you: "I knew all about this and you didn't, you dumb bastard!"?

Now, if he kept it to himself and gave no outward appearance of that thought, he can be assumed arrogant, but he didn't display any arrogance.

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 13, 2011, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Apr 13, 2011, 09:01:39 AMi wouldn't call a deserved sense of importance "arrogance"
Sure you can. If a person knows what they are talking about and wants to rub other people's noses in it, it's still arrogance. If you know that somebody knows about something, you wouldn't call it arrogant if he said this to you: "I knew all about this and you didn't, you dumb bastard!"?

Now, if he kept it to himself and gave no outward appearance of that thought, he can be assumed arrogant, but he didn't display any arrogance.

if someone were to act like that about it, i would hardly say they deserved importance or superiority, just because you have it, doesn't mean you deserve it, if you misuse it, then you clearly don't,
by your definition i don't think it leaves any room for a grey area between arrogence and modesty,

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If he isn't modest, that doesn't mean he's arrogant necessarily. He could just be indiscreet at times.

SM

SM

Quotei wouldn't call a deserved sense of importance "arrogance"

I would.  It's how you project the importance to the rest of the world that can be taken as arrogance.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 09:18:32 PM

I would.  It's how you project the importance to the rest of the world that can be taken as arrogance.
Basically, it comes down to context.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 13, 2011, 10:20:41 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 09:18:32 PM
Basically, it comes down to context.
Not really.

BANE

BANE

Yes, really. If you're a highly qualified individual arguing with someone incredibly unqualified, and the unqualified person fails to agree with your expert opinion because he/she has read some random snippet of information on the topic and considers themselves an expert, then a simple "I've studied and trained in this for years, you're an idiot for arguing with me with so little knowledge" isn't really arrogant, is it? Arrogance, by definition, is an offensive display of superiority or self importance. Stating ones credentials and putting someone in their place for having the gall to argue with you with so little knowledge is hardly arrogance. It's merely stating a fact based upon 1) hard work on your part that is entirely unappreciated and taken for granted by the "idiot", and 2) the fact that someone is really stupid enough to think they can argue with one so qualified based upon a small snippet of information. Because believe it or not, there are some really stupid questions.

Now, that's one context. Obviously, if you were talking to someone who was well researched and merely wanted to discuss something with you, and they made a case you couldn't respond with, saying "I'm more qualified than you, piss off, you're an idiot for questioning me" is highly uncalled for and, I concede, arrogant. But putting a real idiot in their place is hardly arrogant.

SM

SM

Quote"I've studied and trained in this for years, you're an idiot for arguing with me with so little knowledge" isn't really arrogant, is it? Arrogance, by definition, is an offensive display of superiority or self importance.

The arrogance comes from calling them an idiot, when all you'd need to do to put them in their place is state your own credentials and ask them for theirs.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 01:16:58 AM
"I've studied and trained in this for years, you're an idiot for arguing with me with so little knowledge" isn't really arrogant, is it? Arrogance, by definition, is an offensive display of superiority or self importance.
Isn't belittling someone "an offensive display of superiority or self importance"?

BANE

BANE

Quote from: SM on Apr 14, 2011, 01:21:14 AM
Quote"I've studied and trained in this for years, you're an idiot for arguing with me with so little knowledge" isn't really arrogant, is it? Arrogance, by definition, is an offensive display of superiority or self importance.

The arrogance comes from calling them an idiot.
Even if they are? Is it really arrogance if you're calling it like it is? I mean, by that logic, anyone calling anybody else something mean is arrogant...

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 14, 2011, 01:27:49 AM
Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 01:16:58 AM
"I've studied and trained in this for years, you're an idiot for arguing with me with so little knowledge" isn't really arrogant, is it? Arrogance, by definition, is an offensive display of superiority or self importance.
Isn't belittling someone "an offensive display of superiority or self importance"?

By that logic, everyone who has ever called someone else a name is arrogant...anyone who considers themselves above anything is arrogant...should the word really be that widespread? I mean, I wouldn't call someone who considers themselves the intellectual superior of a giraffe arrogant, but by them saying so could, by definition, be construed as arrogant. Calling something as it is shouldn't be considered arrogant, merely honest or, at most, mildly cruel.

Ah f**k it. If someone wants to make it that widespread, go ahead.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: BLAIN on Apr 14, 2011, 01:31:04 AM
By that logic, everyone who has ever called someone else a name is arrogant...anyone who considers themselves above anything is arrogant...should the word really be that widespread? I mean, I wouldn't call someone who considers themselves the intellectual superior of a giraffe arrogant, but by them saying so could, by definition, be construed as arrogant. Calling something as it is shouldn't be considered arrogant, merely honest or, at most, mildly cruel.

Ah f**k it. If someone wants to make it that widespread, go ahead.
You don't think arrogance is already widespread? You're a moron.

BANE

BANE

I merely meant the definition, not the presence in society. Thanks for misunderstanding, idiot. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed