Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women?

Started by predxeno, May 25, 2010, 05:41:42 PM

Author
Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women? (Read 91,052 times)

predxeno

Another possibility that I thought of while reading these posts is that perhaps the predators' alterations to the alien species somehow caused this mutation (egg-barfing).

Valaquen

Valaquen

QuoteAXP: And touching on the reproduction; can you elaborate at all on what's been dubbed the 'regurgitation' method of reproduction the Predalien uses?

Greg: Yeah, the regurgitation... I touched on this a bit at the L.A. comic convention a couple weeks ago. Regurgitation is improper semantics. Regurgitation meaning you eat something, and then digest it partially, and then spit it back up. I think a more accurate way of describing the Predalien reproductive cycle is that the Predalien has a method of impregnating people with an egg. And it doesn't involve regurgitation. Regurgitation would just be the wrong term. But there's definitely a delivery mechanism that I don't want to give away, that the Predalien can inject people with eggs.

AXP: So this is a full embryo, next stage is chestbursting?

Greg: Yes. And we don't really know how Predators reproduce, so we have license how to define some Predator aspect to this. It's partially Predator DNA that allows this reproductive method.

AXP: So this might not necessarily be new canon for the entire species, but rather Predalien specific?

Greg: Yeah, I mean, it would imply something for reproduction amongst Predators, but again, it doesn't set it in stone because who knows how much of it got changed to deal with the fact that there's Alien DNA mixed in there.

and

QuoteAlso, as originally scripted, it was just pregnant women as PredAlien prey, and then as we were cutting the movie, we decided to revise that -- that's why we added the homeless woman who wasn't pregnant getting attacked -- because if they're all pregnant -- it's going to be so convenient -- it's going to be a plot convenience. So we said, we have to loose that subplot. -- so we just basically re-wrote that after we shot the movie.

There was also an idea to have the "hive" in the sewer actually have like twenty or thirty bodies -- a lot more homeless than in the theatrical version -- that were all impregnated. But then again, it was a cut back situation, we were told -- "you can afford two..!" -- so two it is...!

and

QuoteAXP: There's been many on the net who've voiced how they liked the turn on convention where you had the elements like pregnant ladies and a kid with chestbursters coming out...

Colin: That's longer too -- the female burstings -- there's like twice as many shots now... of where pregnant women "blow up."

AXP: Did you get any flak for that?

Colin: The studio loved all that! It was actually their idea...!

AXP: How about on the Internet?

Colin: Actually -- there was a few threads that I read where some said: "They went too far...!" -- to me, it was like, you know what...? -- normal people... pregnant women should die... especially with Aliens coming to a f*ck'n small town. We've always seen (in the previous movies) -- marines, colonists, and all of these other people... it's gotta be the people that you don't see in those movies taken -- kids, pregnant women, babies -- in hospitals, maternity wards -- those are the people that you have to see die -- because otherwise, there's been like eight movies now...

AXP: ... the thing that I like too with what you did there with the ward is that -- there have been a lot of situations in movies where... say with Michael Myers in "Halloween 2" where he walks by the ward (in the hospital) -- but nothing happens. So it's kind of like a tease that doesn't pay off... and in this situation -- the PredAlien is looking at the babies... and you're thinking... oh well, maybe that's just it... and they're going to go on with the story... but then literally when he or she... actually... is the PredAlien "officially" a he or she...?

Colin: She...

AXP: ... when she goes in and stands before the pregnant woman -- and then clamps onto her face and begins pumping down the chestbursters... it's really horrific... it was like... wow -- they did take it a step further... and I know that a lot of people liked that -- that it really played against convention... and many a time in horror movies there can be moments where a sequence in a film "steps up to the plate..." -- but then "steps back from the plate" in terms of a pay off...

Colin: -- and that's why we also face hugged a kid and we face hugged an old guy -- that was part of the same type of idea. We've seen it all so many times... that's the only problem with these AVP movies -- is that, so much has already been done -- and it's been done so well. If you do the exact same thing, then everyone just says that you offered nothing new, so the idea was that if we're going to do something, we might as well just break some conventions. I mean otherwise, literally... it's going to be the same stuff.

Say for instance, the way Jesse was killed was a cool thing... but "Chet" with the babies was probably one of my most favorite scenes in the movie... and it almost got cut there in the end... they (Fox) were like -- "Oh... is that maybe too much...?" -- and we were like: Please -- for the the love of God -- don't take away that scene...! That is literally my most favorite scene in the whole movie... it really makes everyone feel uncomfortable.

The Strauses would f**k their mother for shocks. For being allegedly big Cameron fans, they didn't listen to his advice on terror and gore. Gore is disgust, and disgusting your audience is a far cry from terrifying them.

predxeno

predxeno

I appreciated the fact that the Strause bros went against convention. 

Valaquen

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 07, 2010, 06:19:39 PM
I appreciated the fact that the Strausse bros wenta against convention.
Anyone can go against convention. I can walk the streets naked to go against convention. Going against the norm was not stated as their intentions, one of the Strauses is quoted as saying, 'logic is good, but sometimes you have to go for the cool' (paraphrase, regarding the PredAlien's locks). Their intention seems to be to go with whatever they find 'cool' or 'awesome', not to be trailblazers.

Noir-Gojira

Quote from: SiL on Jun 07, 2010, 08:07:32 AM
You don't see normal Aliens running around with penises having sex with hosts.

So no.
Not until Species 2 anyway :P

predxeno

I don't think what's considered to be cool should overpower what's logical in this sci-fi franchise.  But I can still retcon in what the Strause bros did in AVPR.

SM

Noir-Gojira

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 07, 2010, 07:42:45 PM
I don't think what's considered to be cool should overpower what's logical in this sci-fi franchise.
That is why you fail.  99% of this franchise is based on Cool > Logic.

SM

Eh?

The series has always had a big degree of internal logic.  But this has eroded over time until we end up with the shit we get in AvP:Poo.

Noir-Gojira

QuoteThe series has always had a big degree of internal logic.
Until either of the titular monsters show up.

SM

???

That's why I said "internal logic".  They lay out rules and stick to them.  At first anyway.

Noir-Gojira

That's because even the mightiest oak is one day felled by the winds of awesome.

predxeno

Still...everything can still be retconned in by me. ;D ;D ;D

Spaghetti

And we'll always be here to stop you. 8)

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 07, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
one of the Strauses is quoted as saying, 'logic is good, but sometimes you have to go for the cool' (paraphrase, regarding the PredAlien's locks)

So basically, the BS's existence is just a giant "cool story bro"

predxeno

Quote from: Spaghetti on Jun 08, 2010, 01:41:53 AM
And we'll always be here to stop you. 8)

Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 07, 2010, 07:18:49 PM
one of the Strauses is quoted as saying, 'logic is good, but sometimes you have to go for the cool' (paraphrase, regarding the PredAlien's locks)

So basically, the BS's existence is just a giant "cool story bro"

Not necessarily, the predaliens in the games and comics had them.  Perhaps, the Strause bros didn't want to deviate from the design.  I commend them for that.  Since I take the EU material to be canon, it may have caused a problem if there were any discrepancies between the films and the EU material.  Btw, in response to the first sentence...no matter how many times you push me down, I'll always get back up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed