Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women?

Started by predxeno, May 25, 2010, 05:41:42 PM

Author
Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women? (Read 91,056 times)

predxeno

It's my way of adapting the discrepancies of the movies, books, and games; unless you've got a better idea?  And don't say: Don't use EU material.

SpaceMarines

It's fairly well established on this site that the only true canon are the films; everything else is just interesting thoughts or scenarios (although it is my hope that A:CM will be the first non-film media to be considered true canon).

predxeno

When I first became an AvP fan, I thought all material was canon to the franchise, however I soon became enlightened and discovered that the community has established that the films are the only true canon, not any of the media related to the franchise.  I, then, started following that path, somewhat (everybody else was doing it and I believed at the time that the opinion of the community counted a lot), until I discovered that some community members have even banned A:R and the AvP films from their own canon.  To me that went against everything the community and I (to a lesser extent) believed in; everything I got from this site and sites like this indicate that the movies are the ultimate source of canon.  Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the fans don't have the authority to determine what is or is not canon to the franchise.  Therefore, community beliefs aside, there is no reason not to consider this EU material as legit.

SM

QuoteAnd don't say: Don't use EU material.

Why not?  It's the simplest thing to do.  The films are what happened and the comics, novels, video games and other stuff are all "What ifs"  Several different "What ifs?" because they don't share a continuity with each other, let alone the films they're based on.  Fox doesn't care about one all encompassing continuity so why should we?

QuoteMaybe it was, but it didn't really make sense.

Maybe because no one ever saw Ripley running around Fiorina rescuing hived baldy prisoners wielding superior firepower against myriad Aliens.

Never mind the rainbow Aliens that inhabit the Konami game.

Or the Kenner comics in which ever main character was previously, kind of, dead.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 05, 2010, 04:13:15 AM
When I first became an AvP fan, I thought all material was canon to the franchise, however I soon became enlightened and discovered that the community has established that the films are the only true canon, not any of the media related to the franchise.  I, then, started following that path, somewhat (everybody else was doing it and I believed at the time that the opinion of the community counted a lot), until I discovered that some community members have even banned A:R and the AvP films from their own canon.  To me that went against everything the community and I (to a lesser extent) believed in; everything I got from this site and sites like this indicate that the movies are the ultimate source of canon.  Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the fans don't have the authority to determine what is or is not canon to the franchise.  Therefore, community beliefs aside, there is no reason not to consider this EU material as legit.

Except that they often contradict each other. And the films.

Abhunter

About the intellect, Wasn't the original ending of alien, for it to headbite Ripley, then use her voice to get back to earth? they changed that ending, but they still sprinkled its intellectual abilities in the movie.

predxeno

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jun 05, 2010, 04:17:18 AM
Except that they often contradict each other. And the films.

I said earlier, those contradicitons can all be retconed into a single continuity.

Quote from: Abhunter on Jun 05, 2010, 05:58:39 AM
About the intellect, Wasn't the original ending of alien, for it to headbite Ripley, then use her voice to get back to earth? they changed that ending, but they still sprinkled its intellectual abilities in the movie.

Perhaps, but since no adaptations of the movie ever showed it, I don't think we can use that as canon.  How did they sprinkile its intellectual abilities in the movie?

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2010, 10:30:00 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Jun 04, 2010, 10:26:07 PM
Also, I hate to rain on your parade SiL, but there is one survivor of an alien headbite in the movies.  Verheiden was headbitten
No he wasn't.

We see the Alien lunge for him. There's no sign he was headbitten, such as having a gaping hole in his head.

I rewatched that segment, the alien did headbite him.

The PredBen

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 05, 2010, 04:13:15 AM

DP. While some fans do exclude the AVP films ( the majority don't ) noone excludes A:R. And its established that the films are the only true canon.

Also , DP , even author Steven Perry who co - wrote Prey said that the films come first. I.E. if he writes something in one of his Alien novels but an Alien film contridicts this the film gets the final say.

DP what your saying is that if I wrote a story called Aliens: Darkness which had aliens turning into black spots you'd take it as Canon?

predxeno

So far, everything from the books can match up with the movies.  I would only take your Aliens: Darkness as canon if you got it published officially from one of the sources of AvP material like Fox and Dark Horse.  However, they have stringent rules over what can be done and what can't be done for the sake of continuity so good luck with that.  Btw why do you keep calling me DP?

Keg

*pops head through the thread door and reads the pages hes missed. leaves again. shuts door*

The PredBen

You Double Posted. ;D

Sorry though I wasn't trying to be mean. :)

Basher917

lol this thread got way of subject

Master

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 05, 2010, 03:08:14 PM
So far, everything from the books can match up with the movies.  I would only take your Aliens: Darkness as canon if you got it published officially from one of the sources of AvP material like Fox and Dark Horse.  However, they have stringent rules over what can be done and what can't be done for the sake of continuity so good luck with that.  Btw why do you keep calling me DP?
And what if FOX approves book about Aliens shitting strewberry jelly that predators adore with Ellen Ripley in it as greedy head of W-Y corporation that is selling jelly to predators in exchange for technology? Would that also fit into canon?

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Abhunter on Jun 05, 2010, 05:58:39 AM

To be fair, Riddles was drunk when he said that. :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed