Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women?

Started by predxeno, May 25, 2010, 05:41:42 PM

Author
Why do people hate the Predalien embryo implantation into the pregnant women? (Read 91,059 times)

SiL

Quote from: Master on Jun 04, 2010, 11:27:10 AM
Just like genetic memory.
If my father is a molecular scientist, that does not make me a molecular scientist.

So no, not in the way you're saying.

QuoteThere is no reason to assume it will.
Reproduction is something most animals know instinctively. Aliens don't take dead bodies to use as hugger material cos a hugger needs a live host; the Alien wouldn't have taken Brett if he was useless. Burden's on you to prove Brett wouldn't have formed a functioning egg.

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 04, 2010, 11:25:28 AM
Brett still screamed all the way to the top so it seems like he was still alive.
Briefly, sure. But that blow would have killed him soon after.

QuoteSecondly, it seems apparent that corpses are of no use for alien since he leaves dead bodies lying where they are even tho he needs hosts
And this is where the Alien being alien comes into play.

Who knows why it killed Brett (unarmed) but kept Dallas alive (armed), or why it flat-out killed both Parker and Lambert (armed and unarmed). The Alien's thought process is just that, alien.

Although for argument's sake the novel provided a, well, novel explanation for why Parker and Lambert were left; the Alien couldn't get them into the vent (except in the novel the Alien had crammed both into the vent, and they got stuck). It would at least explain what Lambert's hanging from.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2010, 11:38:22 AM

And this is where the Alien being alien comes into play.

Who knows why it killed Brett (unarmed) but kept Dallas alive (armed), or why it flat-out killed both Parker and Lambert (armed and unarmed). The Alien's thought process is just that, alien.

Being alien? Haha, thats a fancy way to describe lack of logic and plotholes. But its fine, its not a dig at the movie in any way. Every movie has faults and alien's actions just werent carefully thought through during the writing process

QuoteAlthough for argument's sake the novel provided a, well, novel explanation for why Parker and Lambert were left; the Alien couldn't get them into the vent (except in the novel the Alien had crammed both into the vent, and they got stuck). It would at least explain what Lambert's hanging from.

Now thats better and thats the explanation I always took. Too bad it wasnt more apparent in the movie because then it makes alien's action look like plotholes deprived of any sense. Anyway, I always assumed Lambert's hanging from the wheelcart that they had there for their supplies

Master

QuoteIf my father is a molecular scientist, that does not make me a molecular scientist.

So no, not in the way you're saying
You are trying to put your words in my mouth. I never said it in context you are useing, I only said that it is existent, and that`s true.

QuoteBurden's on you to prove Brett wouldn't have formed a functioning egg.
Canon is with my! ;D There was no hugger out of Brett, nor dose he look like egg (simila? maybe, but this is debatable). The idea is from commentary, that he would have become one, thus non-canon. Argue as much as you want, still it`s not showned in film.

QuoteBriefly, sure. But that blow would have killed him soon after.
We don`t know that. And  StrangeShape is right. Alien didn`t took dead bodies, never.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 04, 2010, 11:44:52 AM
Being alien? Nice new word for lack of logic and plotholes. But its fine, its not a dig at the movie in any way. Every movie has faults and alien's actions just werent carefully thought through during the writing process
There are other explanations:

Had two eggs, didn't need more.
Was already starting to die, as per the original concept, and didn't have the strength to transport and transform the last two corpses.
Was going to come back later.
Got distracted by a pretty light.

Etc.

Quote from: Master on Jun 04, 2010, 11:47:56 AM
You are trying to put your words in my mouth. I never said it in context you are useing, I only said that it is existent, and that`s true.
But you are saying that.

There's no reason for the Alien to take such specific memories from its host. Genetic memories exist, but they're instinctual things, actions repeated millions of times over thousands and millions of years.

Not the circuitry of a space colony.

QuoteThere was no hugger out of Brett,
No shit, the egg wasn't finished yet.

Quotenor dose he look like egg
Now you're just being needlessly stubborn.

QuoteThe idea is from commentary, that he would have become one, thus non-canon. Argue as much as you want, still it`s not showned in film.
What else is he?

He looks like a proto-form egg. He has the smooth curving side, the distinct petal shapes forming around his head with the equally distinct lips on said petals that the eggs we saw earlier had. It's there. It's like looking at an unfinished painting and saying 'Well, it isn't a painting.'

QuoteWe don`t know that.
Has anyone ever survived a head-bite long?

No.

Don't think it'll kill you? Fine, just go and find a hammer and smash it through the front of your forehead, clean into your brain. Make sure to use the pointed side so you tear some of the grey matter out when you remove the hammer, too, just to make sure to recreate the effect of the headbite.

Then get back to me.

If before you were being needlessly stubborn, now you're being needlessly stupid. Having your head cored in an Alien film kills you. Not always immediately, but no-one's ever been seen alive any longer than a few seconds afterwards.

Shit, there is dialogue in the movie addressing this.

"Could it want him alive?"
"What?"
"Could Brett be alive?"
"No."

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2010, 11:59:00 AM
Had two eggs, didn't need more.

That one I dont buy. Knowing it lives for such a short period of time it should collect as many hosts as possible withing its lifetime

QuoteWas already starting to die, as per the original concept, and didn't have the strength to transport and transform the last two corpses.

Btw, its also something that I sometimes regret that wasnt explained or shown more clearly in the movie because when someone doesnt know that the alien is already an old grampa by the end of the movie and sees it just lying next to Ripley just yawning may send wrong impression and take away the edge and danger from the creature.

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 04, 2010, 12:05:13 PM
That one I dont buy. Knowing it lives for such a short period of time it should collect as many hosts as possible withing its lifetime
I agree. I'm just saying.

QuoteBtw, its also something that I sometimes regret that wasnt explained or shown more clearly in the movie because when someone doesnt know that the alien is already an old grampa by the end of the movie and sees it just lying next to Ripley just yawning may send wrong impression and take away the edge and danger from the creature.
Personally I think it works either way. Even if it isn't dying, it shows the thing isn't just a wholly violent thing, which, honestly, I can dig. I know a lot of the Alien's fright comes from the whole unthinking abomination angle, but they idea of being cornered in a room with it and it taking its dear, dear sweet time is just chilling to me.

StrangeShape

Quote from: SiL on Jun 04, 2010, 12:08:29 PM

Personally I think it works either way. Even if it isn't dying, it shows the thing isn't just a wholly violent thing, which, honestly, I can dig. I know a lot of the Alien's fright comes from the whole unthinking abomination angle, but they idea of being cornered in a room with it and it taking its dear, dear sweet time is just chilling to me.

I agree with you to a point. What I mean is, it works for the scene with Lambert  but not for the shuttle scene, at least for me.

With Lambert scene, I get the same feeling you described. I think its one of the creepiest scenes ever and that particular scene gave me one mean nightmare once which I wont forget.

But with the shuttle scene, it just doesnt seem that dangerous. Even tho youre next to it, it just yawns and doesnt do anything. With that scene in mind I prefer the approach of attacking on sight

Master

QuoteDon't think it'll kill you? Fine, just go and find a hammer and smash it through the front of your forehead, clean into your brain. Make sure to use the pointed side so you tear some of the grey matter out when you remove the hammer, too, just to make sure to recreate the effect of the headbite.

Then get back to me.

If before you were being needlessly stubborn, now you're being needlessly stupid. Having your head cored in an Alien film kills you. Not always immediately, but no-one's ever been seen alive any longer than a few seconds afterwards.
No need to be rude. Do Alien can adjust strength of headbite? Possibly. Which is easier, carry unconscious man, or the one that is struggling etc.? My point is that Brett could have been hit strong enough to damage his skin (appearance of blood) and drop him unconscious, not instantly killed.

About surviving brain damage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

QuoteNow you're just being needlessly stubborn.
You too, trying to prove thing that is not so obvious and not necessarily canon.

Abhunter

Maybe, the reason for the face**** like I said earlier, Gave chet some aliens, but they would die out very quick, or not be as strong as those that came from the egg sack. The Bro's put a dick in our ass with this concept, and now people just gotta find something to back it up a little bit.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Abhunter on Jun 04, 2010, 04:29:10 PM
Maybe, the reason for the face**** like I said earlier, Gave chet some aliens, but they would die out very quick, or not be as strong as those that came from the egg sack. The Bro's put a dick in our ass with this concept, and now people just gotta find something to back it up a little bit.

Unfortunately, backing it up with logic and reasoning should be their job, it shouldnt be left to us

SiL

Quote from: Master on Jun 04, 2010, 12:21:25 PM
Do Alien can adjust strength of headbite? Possibly.
Oh get off the grass, now you're just grasping for straws :-\

QuoteMy point is that Brett could have been hit strong enough to damage his skin (appearance of blood) and drop him unconscious, not instantly killed.
His brains came out. Watch the scene. Freeze-frame it if you have to. Brain matter is torn from his skull.

QuoteAbout surviving brain damage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
I was careful to say 'in Alien movies'.

QuoteYou too, trying to prove thing that is not so obvious
It is obvious. I'm not the one who has to grasp at straws to prove my point -- it's all there in the film. You're the one coming up with half a dozen 'well maybe's to disprove me.

Master

QuoteHis brains came out. Watch the scene. Freeze-frame it if you have to. Brain matter is torn from his skull.
It did? Well that changes some things...

QuoteIt is obvious. I'm not the one who has to grasp at straws to prove my point -- it's all there in the film. You're the one coming up with half a dozen 'well maybe's to disprove me.
And what about it being canon? ;)

SiL

At the end of the day, Brett was killed, and it still dragged him off. Egg morphing or no it still felt there was some use for him.

Master

predxeno

First off, I don't think the aliens inherit much intellect from their hosts, just instinct.  In Aliens Nightmare Asylum, it is explained that the reason the aliens can't use guns is that they can't hit anything bigger than a wall, even at close range.  I don't know what you're talking about, but the aliens always take away the dead bodies, they are used to help construct the hive.  In the AVP game for Jaguar, the alien can make dead bodies turn into adult aliens (these are extra lives).  This could be what the alien was doing to Brett, not making him into an egg with a facehugger.  I think the reason aliens can disable electricity is because they somehow just know what some wire are and they just destroy everything in sight.  Also, I hate to rain on your parade SiL, but there is one survivor of an alien headbite in the movies.  Verheiden was headbitten by an alien after he fell through a trap door in the maze.  We later see him glued to the wall next to Miller, after he wakes up, with a facehugger clamped on his face.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed