Adrien Brody Says 'Predators' Will Be 'Intense, Harrowing'

Started by Keyes, Apr 28, 2010, 03:54:42 PM

Author
Adrien Brody Says 'Predators' Will Be 'Intense, Harrowing' (Read 5,803 times)

Keyes

HOLLYWOOD — In the first decade of the 21st century, fans of two of Hollywood's most powerful franchises welcomed a succession of "Alien vs. Predator" films to the multiplex — only to be left bemoaning the lackluster efforts.

Now, the start of a second decade finds both combatants bloody, bruised and, possibly, mortally wounded. Both have backed off to their respective corners to regroup, pledging to recapture once again the promise of their glory days. There are signs that things might be moving in the right direction. Last week, "Alien" director Ridley Scott revealed that he's determined to save his outer-space monster from the damage wrought by the "AVP" films. MTV News caught up with Adrien Brody on Monday night at the "Iron Man 2" premiere, where he echoed those sentiments.

"Absolutely," Brody said when asked if he thought the franchise characters had been damaged; the Oscar-winning actor will head "Predators," due out July 7. "And I think [saving the franchise] is also the objective of the studio. This is basically a reboot."

Brody is arguably the biggest star to be attached to the flicks since the heyday of Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose 1987 "Predator" was a massive hit — so massive, 23 years later most fans are still willing to give the dreadlocked man-hunter another look. Brody said he can promise fans that they won't be sorry.

"We're picking up where the first one left off," he explained. Previous efforts like "Predator 2" and the "AVP" films are irrelevant in this universe. "The first 'Predator' was an amazing film; I saw it in theaters when I was a kid. I remember how awesome the nonstop action was. There was a darkness to it."

In Brody's opinion, there's no reason a "Predator" flick shouldn't appeal to as big an audience as an "Iron Man" release. The actor also said he was really pleased that "Iron Man" star Robert Downey Jr. helped set the tone for a more realistic-looking action hero.

"What I admire about [the 'Iron Man' movies] is that they hired Robert, and he brought something special to the role. That's something that is a trend now, which is great," the star said. "I have 'Predators' coming out this summer, which I feel was a stretch for the studio to bring me in initially. But we're all confident that they made the right decision.

"In the past, with [strong] and heroic characters, Hollywood depict[ed] them with a physical brawn," Brody continued, recalling a generation of action heroes like Stallone, Schwarzenegger and Van Damme. "But if you look at real heroes, soldiers today, they're not much bigger than I am. It's about inner strength. That's something I think people know ... so when they see a movie — yes, it can be spectacular and have amazing effects and be entertaining, but it should have something in truth."

Brody plays a man abducted then released on a planet where the predator aliens aim to hunt him. His co-stars include physically unimposing actors Topher Grace and Alice Braga. "I think [our average physical size] will touch people more, and people will be more gratified with the experience."

This summer, "Predators" will give its grotesque, nonverbal monster one more shot. Sometime after, director Scott will take his turn with the "Alien" franchise. It seems unlikely the two monsters will ever do battle again, but this much is clear: Fans are holding out hope that some of that old magic can still be recaptured.

In the reboot, "We use a lot of practical effects, it's not make-believe," Brody said. "It should be a very intense, harrowing journey for these guys, and I think it will be pretty fun."

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1637935/story.jhtml

darthmaul1

I will wait to pass judgement when the
movie comes out.  After all This is what the two idiot directors said about avpr.  This is what the fans have been waiting for. 

Dark Jester

Quote from: darthmaul1 on Apr 28, 2010, 05:06:42 PM
I will wait to pass judgement when the
movie comes out.  After all This is what the two idiot directors said about avpr.  This is what the fans have been waiting for.

Correction THREE idiot directors....WA and the Strause Bros!

The difference between them and RR is that the latter has more talent and understands that the correct ingrediants to a good film is a simple and effective story and good actors. This is where WA and the Strauses got it wrong big time; they took us for idiots and believed that we would accept any old BS as long as we got a "real Pred" doing "keeewl" things!! (this is directed more towards the Strauses, god I hate them).

darkbladepred

Am I the only one who feels that RR and the whole crew behind Predators have a bit of an unwarranted grudge with P2? It's certainly not my favorite movie in the world, but I respect it as a good sequel and addition to the Predator mythology. I can understand wanting to distance his film from AVP, but P2 was a legitimate sequel and is mostly recognized by the fans as giving us some good stuff.

Mike The Wolf

I think he doesn't like P2 because it wasn't his script he came up with years ago for P2. Thoughts......

MrBrokenTusks.

I just hope he is right.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: darkbladepred on Apr 28, 2010, 07:22:38 PM
Am I the only one who feels that RR and the whole crew behind Predators have a bit of an unwarranted grudge with P2?

You're not the only one.

Seriously, whats wrong with Predator 2?

Say what you will about the AvP films, but c'mon, Predator 2 expanded on the character and revealed a lot of the Predator culture.

-Rakai'Thwei

Doomofman

I think, as someone above said, he doesn't like it because it's not the direction he would have gone... Bit childish if that's true cause I don't see much wrong with P2 at all

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Doomofman on Apr 28, 2010, 08:33:26 PM
I think, as someone above said, he doesn't like it because it's not the direction he would have gone... Bit childish if that's true cause I don't see much wrong with P2 at all

And I concur.

-Rakai'Thwei

Master

I think that It`ll be hard for RR and co. to achive same level as P2. Second film is very good sequel, and deserves respect.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on Apr 28, 2010, 08:38:42 PM
I think that It`ll be hard for RR and co. to achive same level as P2. Second film is very good sequel, and deserves respect.

It's a criminally under-rated film.

-Rakai'Thwei

Pinkman

I think P2 is really shitty. It may be a fan service for some of you who are just looking at the creatures, but as a movie, it's definetely a mess. The tone is completely out of the map, nothing is believable, I laughed at the whole secret operation and the portrayal of the gangs. Frankly, the execution and the writing is completely silly. But hey, to each his own I guess. But then again, me and RR's opinion on it are far from being in the minority, you should accept it, nobody is preventing you from liking this movie.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Pinkman on Apr 28, 2010, 09:37:57 PM
nobody is preventing you from liking this movie.

True, but something tells me that I'm going to like Predator 2 more than Predators.

-Rakai'Thwei

Pinkman

Maybe, and it's totally your right, but don't make up your own mind before seeing it, that'd be stupid.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Pinkman on Apr 28, 2010, 09:53:51 PM
Maybe, and it's totally your right, but don't make up your own mind before seeing it, that'd be stupid.

All I can say is, thanks for not making me feel stupid cause I like Predator 2. Seriously, I sincerely mean that.  :)

-Rakai'Thwei

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed