'The Classic Alien Won't Appear In Ridley Scott's Prequels At All' -Io9.com

Started by The Rogue, Apr 27, 2010, 11:13:26 PM

Author
'The Classic Alien Won't Appear In Ridley Scott's Prequels At All' -Io9.com (Read 21,183 times)

arabianhunter

why do i get the feeling that the alien prequel is gonna turn out to be a mixture of broke back mountain and star trek ??? ::) :P

J-Syxx

Quote from: arabianhunter on May 09, 2010, 06:31:03 PM
why do i get the feeling that the alien prequel is gonna turn out to be a mixture of broke back mountain and star trek ??? ::) :P
Are you trying to be ironic here after the last conversation, because yeah this is kind of a lame and pretty tired joke by now.  Gay sex has existed since the beginning of history probably.  It wasn't created in Brokeback Mountain.

QuoteThere's also the fact no-one here's saying sex in movies is bad, period. We're saying sex in Alien movies is grossly unnecessary. Huge difference.
I'll take your point about not having read the script, but I still think actual sex integrated into an Alien film could work if it was done correctly.

SM

An Alien film needs tension.  A sex scene no matter where it sits in the narrative, has huge potential to destroy this, because the audience came to see a tense horror flick.  Having a sex scene can make the characters look stupid because they clearly have no clue to type of trouble their in.

In Alien the sex scene got cut because it had no real point and was inappropriate.

In Aliens everything was kept platonic between Ripley and Hicks because again, taking if further had no point.

QuoteAre you trying to be ironic here after the last conversation, because yeah this is kind of a lame and pretty tired joke by now.  Gay sex has existed since the beginning of history probably.  It wasn't created in Brokeback Mountain.

Wasting your time since he's been banned already.

J-Syxx

^ Except in Alien 3 where Ripley had sex with Clemens and it as far as I could tell had nothing to do with messing up the pacing of the film.

Anto of the Sand

The only sex I remember in an Alien movie was Alien3 when that guy tried to rape Ripley.

SM

Quote^ Except in Alien 3 where Ripley had sex with Clemens and it as far as I could tell had nothing to do with messing up the pacing of the film.

Perfect case in point.  It again had no place and many felt the film suffered for it.  The dialogue between Ripley and Clemens could've easily been other than post-coital.  And may have added some sexual tension that built towards something before Clemens snuffed it.  And Ripley could've deflected Clemens enquiries in other ways other than shagging him.

However, the characters were starting already look slightly dumb by that point 'cos there an Alien on the loose that no one knows about - even Ripley.  As opposed to previous films where they knew there was a threat, though not the extent of it.  The first half of Alien3 is for the most part Ripley butting heads with Andrews, and being largely clueless to the Alien's presence, which puts her behind the audience.  Generally not a good thing.

SiL

At any rate, we don't see the two shagging.

SM

No, fortunately.  As it was they more or less got away with it.

arabianhunter

Quote from: J-Syxx on May 09, 2010, 11:27:23 PM
Quote from: arabianhunter on May 09, 2010, 06:31:03 PM
Are you trying to be ironic here after the last conversation, because yeah this is kind of a lame and pretty tired joke by now.  Gay sex has existed since the beginning of history probably.  It wasn't created in Brokeback Mountain.

QuoteThere's also the fact no-one here's saying sex in movies is bad, period. We're saying sex in Alien movies is grossly unnecessary. Huge difference.
I'll take your point about not having read the script, but I still think actual sex integrated into an Alien film could work if it was done correctly.

now hold on just a sec i get the feeling someones gonna send a ban missile my way without warning i already got banned once without warning and why the hell do i deserve a ban for what i said i mean come on how could anyone WHO READ the script not see the immense epic failure to it the film is meant to put fear in the audience but for some reason it comes of a some sort of happy wonderland film which has its
intense moments but for most parts its talking and awkward silence ???  i doubt ridley scott wouldnt make changes to it because its a serous problem

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on May 09, 2010, 11:35:58 PM
An Alien film needs tension.  A sex scene no matter where it sits in the narrative, has huge potential to destroy this, because the audience came to see a tense horror flick.  Having a sex scene can make the characters look stupid because they clearly have no clue to type of trouble their in.
If it could ever be pulled of like in Don't Look Now, then it could help the characterisation. Actually pulling it off, however...

Anto of the Sand

I dont think we really need one that bad. The reason sex scenes dont work is because of the audience. Theyre either too embarrased, too immature or too "pillar of the community" religious.

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on May 10, 2010, 01:28:01 PM
If it could ever be pulled of like in Don't Look Now, then it could help the characterisation. Actually pulling it off, however...
Except that scene was a relief from tension, which you don't want in an Alien movie. Even when everyone was sitting around talking in Aliens it was kept tense by the lurking threat of Aliens.

SM

And was lacking when people were sitting/ standing around talking in Alien3 and Resurrection.  And they weren't even getting jiggy while sitting/ standing around.

MadassAlex

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 10, 2010, 01:38:36 PM
I dont think we really need one that bad. The reason sex scenes dont work is because of the audience. Theyre either too embarrased, too immature or too "pillar of the community" religious.

Or bored. Don't forget bored.

SM

Bored of cheezy lame arse sex scenes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed