A, P, AvP Timeline

Started by Katarn84, Mar 17, 2010, 05:50:23 PM

Author
A, P, AvP Timeline (Read 12,216 times)

SM

SM

What about when someone clearly does comprehend something, yet chooses to ignore it?

SiL

SiL

That's just good-ole pigheadedness.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Mar 18, 2010, 11:29:44 PM
That's just good-ole pigheadedness.
Pigheadedness could also apply to people who don't want to give their best effort to finding a solution to a problem, and would rather just say (and constantly repeat) "oops, no way to fix it, better go home! Anyone who keeps trying to fix it is 'wrong'!" :P

Like I said, the best way to handle it is to agree to disagree. You don't want to fix the problem? Hey, okay, whatever makes you happy. But trying to spoil the fun for others? That just ain't cool, man.  :-\

SiL

SiL

The pigheadedness comment wasn't in reference to you, but whatever.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2010, 12:16:51 AM
Anyone who keeps trying to fix it is 'wrong'!"
Only because their fixes don't work. If someone could actually fix the issues without resorting to increasingly more tenuous "well maybe"s, I wouldn't have an issue - But every time this argument comes up no-one proposes any ideas that aren't full of at least half a dozen holes.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteThe pigheadedness comment wasn't in reference to you, but whatever.
My apologies then. Given SM's comment above it, I figured it was about me. :P My mistake.

QuoteOnly because their fixes don't work.
Well that's where the "opinion" part comes in. It comes up all the time in, say, Star Wars continuity quibbles. There will be a continuity snafu, then there will be some kind of official retcon or fix down the line, but not every fan "buys it". That's personal preference and that's okay. Can't make everyone happy all the time.

I'm not saying there aren't continuity problems, or that the "solutions" are perfect, or even close to airtight. What I'm saying is that that doesn't bother me and I'm willing to overlook it, work around it, wait for a better fix to come along, or try to come up with something better myself if I feel like it.
It's how I have my "fun" as a fan. :)

I like trying to fix continuity errors, it lets me be creative while solving a problem, and to think "outside the box". I take the approach that there's no such thing as an unfixable continuity gaffe and that given enough creative interpretation and Continuity Spackle(TM), any apparent problem can ultimately be sorted out.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 19, 2010, 12:59:04 AM
My apologies then. Given SM's comment above it, I figured it was about me. :P My mistake.
Well, he might've been, in which case mine would be by extension, but that wasn't the intention :P

QuoteWell that's where the "opinion" part comes in.
Nope. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work (Or at least so says someone working on a PhD in narrative theory, which is surprisingly well-developed to the point of approaching more a science :P)

"Buying it" comes to personal preference - Which I'm not talking about here. It's not whether I buy an explanation, it's whether it demonstrably fits in with what's presented.

I mean ... if you wanna try and fix the problems, no-one can stop you, but every time someone even hints at saying "We'll just go by the movies" you come in with "Well we could make it all work! Hyuck hyuck", and then this happens.

Over. And over. And over. And it always ends the same God-damned way.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quoteevery time someone even hints at saying "It doesn't work" you come in with "Well we could make it all work! Hyuck hyuck", and then this happens.
Fixed that for you. :)

QuoteOver. And over. And over. And it always ends the same God-damned way.
...which is why I said we should agree to disagree. :)

SiL

SiL

But then next time someone says it you'll say it again. And again. And again.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

But there's nothing wrong with that. ??? Someone says "this continuity error can't be fixed!", someone else chimes in with "wait a second, I think it can be fixed by [whatever]", and at least it's not a one-sided circlejerk of people patting each other on the back for agreeing that continuity stuff can't be fixed or something.

SiL

SiL

"It can't be fixed!"

"Yes it can! [hole-laden fix]"

"That just raises even more issues!"

"Well yeah but well the idea is sound."

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Exactly. :D

Katarn84

Katarn84

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2010, 10:58:46 PM
???

Her death didn't have anything to do with Morse's book.

You think Morse wouldn't have written of the heroic death of Ellen Ripley in her attempt to get the galaxy rid of Aliens? Just to remind you, he saw her diving in the lead pool...

SiL

SiL

You said Ripley's death was due to Morse's book. How? :-\

EDIT

Ohh, wait, you mean her death was known because of his book. I get'cha.

predxeno

predxeno

Now that I think about it and have taken a closer look at Aliens: Original Sin, did Morse ever mention Ripley dying in his book?  Maybe that's how nobody knew that Ripley was dead.  And in Aliens: Nightmare Asylum, the tech that talked about Ripley to Billy didn't seem so sure what happened to Ripley, just something about Fiorina 161.  Aliens: Original Sin also stated that the Nostromo incident was in the banned histories and that Morse's book was banned.  Maybe that's why nobody knew that Ripley was dead.  This could mean that the alien invasion of Earth occurred after Alien Resurrection.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 18, 2010, 09:33:54 AM
Christie seemed pretty level-headed about what was going on. Literally the only Betty crew character who shows any objective indication that he doesn't know what Aliens are is Johner.

Actually, they all seem utterly confused when they see an Alien for the first time. Look at the scene where Ripley shoots it and makes her own grand entrance.

Johnner actually knows about Earth being in an apparently famous state of decay and calls it a "shithole", heavily implying that it's simply fallen into mass disrepair and that there are better places to be.

In fact, just look at Call trying to get her Captain and the crew to accept that the things even exist. She has to resort to analogies of an historical viral outbreak. Why wouldn't she just draw up a reference to the creatures being one and the same as those which once took over the world?

Also, the ship's scientists wouldn't have had to go to the extremely convoluted measure of recloning Ripley to get a creature. There would have been a lot of genetic material around, if not actual specimens to try and study.

I also seem to remember...

(1) Other colonies/worlds are referenced in the text novelisations as setting up heightened safety protocols, implying they've got further (which, let's face it, is more than likely).

(2) Newt/Billie is pouring over endless hours of transmissions from Earth of what's going on. Many of them are in endless loops. They're reaching out into the stars and will probably be relayed. That isn't something people are going to be able to cover up and won't forget about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed