Started by Mutha_Brucka, Mar 17, 2010, 06:56:40 AM

Author
Why? (Read 4,205 times)

Dark Jester

Dark Jester

Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 10:59:12 AM
Quote from: Dark Jester on Mar 17, 2010, 10:44:15 AM
Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 10:31:53 AM
......without P2 there wouldn`t be Predator as we know today.

what do you mean?
Whole AvP originated from P2 (I`m not talking about quality but concept), lots of great weapons that were vastly used in games , comics etc. originated from P2. Whole clan based hierarchy with Elder as boss is from P2. Basically everything we know about Predator must be filtered through P2 in formations cause P2 gave allot of depth and info about creature that we know and love today.

I see. Is Robert Rodriguez using any of these ideas established in P2 in his film?

I guess the "clan" idea is being using in Predators but it can be argued that its pretty obvious that Anytime in P1 was part of another group or clan of Predators since who was "driving" the spaceship that dropped him off on earth at the start of the movie? Therefore, it can be argued that the clan based idea was already hinted at in the original and P2 just developed it by showing who was in the spaceship.

In regards to the weapons, yes P2 introduced a lot of cool weapons but not sure if any of these weapons are being used in Predators. I guess the spear makes an appearance but I dont think the creators of P2 have any right to claim that "a Predator using a spear" is their idea and anyone else who films a Predator with a spear is borrowing of "their idea". After all, its a spear (a very fancy one, but still a spear) and Predators are hunters and hunters use spears.

I guess it really comes down to whether people consider comics and games as cannon. If they do, then yes P2 did contribute a lot but if you just consider the films then I'm not sure. Its an interesting debate.

Master

Master

Quote from: Dark Jester on Mar 17, 2010, 12:32:13 PM

what do you mean?
Whole AvP originated from P2 (I`m not talking about quality but concept), lots of great weapons that were vastly used in games , comics etc. originated from P2. Whole clan based hierarchy with Elder as boss is from P2. Basically everything we know about Predator must be filtered through P2 in formations cause P2 gave allot of depth and info about creature that we know and love today.

I see. Is Robert Rodriguez using any of these ideas established in P2 in his film?

I guess the "clan" idea is being using in Predators but it can be argued that its pretty obvious that Anytime in P1 was part of another group or clan of Predators since who was "driving" the spaceship that dropped him off on earth at the start of the movie? Therefore, it can be argued that the clan based idea was already hinted at in the original and P2 just developed it by showing who was in the spaceship.

In regards to the weapons, yes P2 introduced a lot of cool weapons but not sure if any of these weapons are being used in Predators. I guess the spear makes an appearance but I dont think the creators of P2 have any right to claim that "a Predator using a spear" is their idea and anyone else who films a Predator with a spear is borrowing of "their idea". After all, its a spear (a very fancy one, but still a spear) and Predators are hunters and hunters use spears.

I guess it really comes down to whether people consider comics and games as cannon. If they do, then yes P2 did contribute a lot but if you just consider the films then I'm not sure. Its an interesting debate.
Those are speculations not facts. Facts are that those things were introduced in P2, and this new team using those ideas while saying "we shit on your work Hopkins, Winston, Peter-Hall and co."  is big faux pass IMO.

Dark Jester

Dark Jester

Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 12:41:01 PM

what do you mean?

Those are speculations not facts. Facts are that those things were introduced in P2, and this new team using those ideas while saying "we shit on your work Hopkins, Winston, Peter-Hall and co."  is big faux pass IMO.

Yes, the very same "speculations" that the creators of P2 used to develop (not create) the "clan" idea.

Anytime was a hunter who was dropped of on earth in a spaceship that flew off. It can be speculated that it was on auto pilot or it can be speculated that there was another Predator controlling it. The creators of P2 use the latter speculation and expanded it and showed a bunch of Predators at the end of the movie. It was established in P1 that Anytime was a hunter with some cool gizmos and so it does not take much effort to believe that he is part of a greater sophisticated society of Predators.

Cut a long story short, just because the creators of P2 got there first and depicted the obvious that does not give them full ownership or the right to claim that anyone one who makes a film depicting Predator clans or using a fancy alien versions of traditional hunter weapons. RR owes nothing to the creators of P2, he owes respect to the creators of the original (if different) and he is doing that IMO. 

Let agree to disagree. I see me and you are gonna be good friends :D

boostedlsj

boostedlsj

Quote from: Huol on Mar 17, 2010, 10:11:05 AM
I don't get all the love for predator 2.

I mean sure i liked it as a cheesy popcorn flick but it wasn't the amazing movie you all seem to claim it to be.
It was stupid, shoddy and downright laughable at points.

What he said

Master

Master

Quote from: Dark Jester on Mar 17, 2010, 01:04:45 PM
Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 12:41:01 PM

what do you mean?

Yes, the very same "speculations" that the creators of P2 used to develop (not create) the "clan" idea.

Anytime was a hunter who was dropped of on earth in a spaceship that flew off. It can be speculated that it was on auto pilot or it can be speculated that there was another Predator controlling it. The creators of P2 use the latter speculation and expanded it and showed a bunch of Predators at the end of the movie. It was established in P1 that Anytime was a hunter with some cool gizmos and so it does not take much effort to believe that he is part of a greater sophisticated society of Predators.

Cut a long story short, just because the creators of P2 got there first and depicted the obvious that does not give them full ownership or the right to claim that anyone one who makes a film depicting Predator clans or using a fancy alien versions of traditional hunter weapons. RR owes nothing to the creators of P2, he owes respect to the creators of the original (if different) and he is doing that IMO. 

Let agree to disagree. I see me and you are gonna be good friends :D
I`m not mad at you nor saying that we won`t be friends but the things you are saying is just taking allot of credit from hands of P2 creators. Sequel could have gone in lots of different ways including Predator to be somekind of cyborg made by other alien race (Space Jockey e.g.). Weapons that are being used in P2 are also part of heritage of it`s creators, and stating that they aren`t is lie and rude behaviour simultaneously.

Highland

Highland

I would have to agree with master. Predator 2 is almost the perfect sequel, even though some may call it laugable.

It takes the original creature, puts a spin on it, and adds depth to the charachter and the mythos.

There's not much more you can ask of a sequel IMO. Remember , Predator is a macho shit fest of explosions and needless bicep shots, people sometimes forget that.

Taking it to the city was the natural progression, you can't make predator 2 in the jungle.

Dark Jester

Dark Jester

Quote from: Highland on Mar 17, 2010, 01:43:55 PM
I would have to agree with master. Predator 2 is almost the perfect sequel, even though some may call it laugable.

It takes the original creature, puts a spin on it, and adds depth to the charachter and the mythos.

There's not much more you can ask of a sequel IMO. Remember , Predator is a macho shit fest of explosions and needless bicep shots, people sometimes forget that.

Taking it to the city was the natural progression, you can't make predator 2 in the jungle.

Hi
This is not about whether P2 is a good movie or not. This is about whether P2 created the idea of Predator clans and whether RR needs to show respect to P2 as well. I believe the clan or Predator society idea was already hinted at in P1 and the creators of P2 just got there first and expanded on the obvious and therefore have no right of ownership of that idea. Its just my IMO and Im not trying to cause offense to anyone on purpose, just a healthy debate.

However, something tells me Im going to be heavily outnumbered in this place so Im going to back out and say lets all agree to disagree. :D

Master

Master

No, please. You started disscusion so come on, let`s continue it. I gave you arguments, and I hope that you`ll give me arguments in return. No clans nor spears, discs etc. were hinted in P1 and I just want to know where you found possibility for their existence excluding P2 of course.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Dark Jester on Mar 17, 2010, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Highland on Mar 17, 2010, 01:43:55 PM

It takes the original creature, puts a spin on it, and adds depth to the character and the mythos.

Hi
This is not about whether P2 is a good movie or not. This is about whether P2 created the idea of Predator clans and whether RR needs to show respect to P2 as well. I believe the clan or Predator society idea was already hinted at in P1 and the creators of P2 just got there first and expanded on the obvious and therefore have no right of ownership of that idea. Its just my IMO and I'm not trying to cause offense to anyone on purpose, just a healthy debate.

However, something tells me I'm going to be heavily outnumbered in this place so Im going to back out and say lets all agree to disagree. :D

No need to back out at all mate! you'll find if your polite and willing there's plenty around who will join in, you've just got to sort the good from the bad!  ;D

As for the point, evidence is your main problem here. As of P1 the predator is a solo hunter, he destroys himself at the end of the movie and that's that. The ship could well be a mother ship (under his control), or any number of possibility's . We need further movie's to stamp out Canon on what is and what is not.

Predator 2 stamps that these creatures are part of a group with loose rules on game.

Dark Jester

Dark Jester

Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 01:54:55 PM
No, please. You started disscusion so come on, let`s continue it. I gave you arguments, and I hope that you`ll give me arguments in return. No clans nor spears, discs etc. were hinted in P1 and I just want to know where you found possibility for their existence excluding P2 of course.

That's cool; I'm up for an adult debate :) I hope you have the time and patience the read all of what follows:

Ok, I disagree that no clans were hinted at in P1. Key word being "hint"! As I mentioned earlier, who dropped off anytime on Earth at the start of the movie? Yes, it can be argued that the ship was on autopilot controlled by Anytime himself but it can also equally be argued that he was dropped off by another Predator. I agree, both are speculation but are it not painfully obvious that an intelligent creature like Anytime with its array of sophisticated weaponry and technology must originate from a greater civilisation? In addition, it was established in P1 that Anytime was a hunter and hunters are often associated with clans or hang about in small tribes. Yes this is example based on human society but that is the only example I have since I don't know any other intelligent species comparable to the Predators 

Everything that I say above is speculation. I agree with you but was it not this speculation and small hints in P1 that gave the creators of P2 the foundations to build upon and develop the "Predator clan" idea that they depicted. I was not born when Predator (87) was released but I did see it long before I saw P2 and the points that I have discussed are the hints and subsequent ideas that I got from the original movie. Therefore is it not possible that the creators of P2 experienced the same thing?

In regards to the weapons, I agree the creators of P2 have full ownership of the disc since it's not a common tool used by hunters. However, I have to disagree in regards to the spear and net. Yes, I agree the creators of P2 were the first to depict Predators using spears and nets but does that give them the right to claim ownership of that idea and take credit for it? Both weapons are commonly used by hunters and since it was established in P1 that Predators are hunters it does not take much imagination to assume that they could also use "spears" and "nets" when hunting prey. The creators of P2 merely went down one of many obvious routes in regards to weapons used by hunters. You never know, they may have even considered Pussyface to have a hunting dog or falcon! This leads me to RR and his Predators that use hunting dogs and falcons, once again both of which are tools often used by many hunters so RR can also not stake claim to inventing the "Predators using dogs and falcons" idea since they, like the spear and the net, are common tools used by hunters. RR, like the creators of P2, went down one of many obvious routes in regards to new weapons and tools that a hunter(s) can use. Neither have right to claim ownership since beyond the "alien spin" on the ideas non are exactly revolutionary or original tools that a hunter can possibly use.

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say and why I believe that Predator 2 did not contribute anything special to the franchise and hence RR has no reason to acknowledge it.

Master

Master

You are right that such things as spear, net and animals are often used by human hunters. But adding them into Predator franchise is a heritage of the one that actually did it. Compare it with Columbus discovering America or Copernicus establishing that earth and other planets are moving on sun`s orbit. It is plain obvious for us but someone must have told this loud.

I can`t agree with you about P1 hinting that predators have clan societies. There was no information about this in any point of the film, and unfortunately (sarcasm) what`s not in the film is not canon. For P1 only canon the type of Pred society is unknown.

dallevalle

dallevalle

actully it was kinda hinted that there was more than one
when the girl tell´s them that all this had happend before they found a man skinned so that kinda tell us they have been here before ( that dosent have to be the same predator).

Master

Master

And how this is relevant to clan society? It only tells us that there is more of them.

dallevalle

dallevalle

Quote from: Master on Mar 17, 2010, 03:56:13 PM
And how this is relevant to clan society? It only tells us that there is more of them.

well of course it dosent tell us that there are clans a society of them but it tells us that there is more of them out there so if you think about it then ( hey more of them out there maby they are on the same team speices sticks together right) so it is in someway kinda hinted deep down ^^

Master

Master

And why can`t I think that somewere is planet full of those dudes and occasionally one of them is going for good relaxing hunt to near by solar system?

Or why can`t I think that this is just an outcast for some galactic empire with feudal society that get some weapons to die in a fight?

Seriously where is even smallest hint about Clan cause I can`t see one with microscope.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed