Fan Reviews

Started by Darkness, Feb 14, 2010, 05:34:49 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 89,363 times)

Joe117

Joe117

Ok, I love the game, but its barely AVP, its mostly Aliens, u run into a predator 3 times, as the marine and alien combined, sure u hear them but still,  and the only time u ever see the preds is in the tribal arena, but hey the game was realllly good, 8/10.  the marine campaign was by far the best, then pred,then alien, but why do the graphics for the alien campaign look weird, reminds me of crackdown, but only when I play aliens, the others r really good graphically eh w.e. I'm really upset there was no offline MP or system link. I love. The predator weapons and the ability to actually act like a pred, stalking and luring ur prey. Playing the marine was scary as hell. The alien frustrated me, bc I wasn't used to all the wall walking stuff, I hope no one takes offense to my review but the game is good, I want more

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: redxavier on Feb 19, 2010, 01:08:29 AM
Played two Marine missions and I have to say how much I detest how beefed up the aliens are on Hard mode. I hope their ridiculous ability to stand up to about 30 pulse rifle rounds each before going down is just Rebellion's old school approach to harder difficulty levels, otherwise they've seriously gimped the pulse rifle.

It still only takes about a dozen solid hits. The way Aliens move about  is the real reason you're spending so much ammo on them.

Plus, it's nicely canonical in a sense.

Samus007

Samus007

I'm somewhat enjoying the game for the most part, but I do agree with most of the negative reviews from the critics.

IMO...
• The textures are so-so. (The Alien Queen for example looked terrible, as do up close wall graphics etc) But overall the graphics are nice, I love the lighting. It's not the best (no where close) but it sure isn't the worst I've ever seen.
• The voice acting, with the exception of Lance Henriksen, is absolutely terrible, some of the worst I have ever heard. I wanted to stop listening to the audio recordings in the marine campaign because they are so bad, but since it's part of the story, which also sucks, I tolerate it. And Taquila, I wanted to shoot her myself. So annoying.
• Compared to just about every other great FPS to come out in the past 5 or so years, nothing at all "epic" or "holy shit" happens in this game. Nothing. Don't get me wrong, there are some great moments, but nothing close to epic.
• The controls are spot on. Picked up the controller (or mouse and keyboard) and had no problem what so ever. Feels like every other FPS that has come out recently.
• Sound effects are amazing. Very very movie like.
• Predator is crap. In single player anyway. I wanted more shoulder cannon action, but nooooooo, Rebellion felt the need to have predator recharge his weapons via some lame ass terminals. C'mon, why can't he recharge like he did in the previous games? I hate getting about 4 or 5 shots off, then poof, all gone. :( Stupid. Close combat is fun and all, but for about 10 mins.
• Alien placing a face hugger on a person is stupid. Is he pulling facehuggers out of his ass? When did a facehugger need any help getting on a persons face? I guess it's not really a big deal, just me being overly picky. lol
• Controlling the Alien is pretty fun. Sometimes I get disoriented, but I don't think it could have been done any better. Especially given what the Alien is capable of.
• Single player is very repetitive and linear.
• Multi-player is fun, but I see myself going back to MW2 or LFD2 sooner then I wanted to.

Overall I'd give the game a 6ish/10. It's good, but so many missed opportunities with this game. If there was no multi-player in this game, I'd give it a 3. Single player is pretty much a huge let down.

imo

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

I liked Tequila...

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Her need to constantly refer to me by not my name irked me though.

xboxgamer4life

xboxgamer4life

i thought tequila was good as well, and im surprised she isnt a multiplayer skin.

Fatal Facepalm

Fatal Facepalm

Right out the box went to Alien SP o Hard, went to the last mission n stopped and went to pred, same difficulty, finished mission one. Wow, is all I can say.
Graphics were ok, no where near as good as they should be, wierd stutter effects every once a while, but mostly good :).  The marines in the Alien missions are a wierd mixed bag....sometimes they it's like they're psychic...other times I could be on a wall 2ft away, with them LOOKING RIGHT AT ME with flashlights on..and they wouldn't see me.  Indoors are a pain in a**....got stuck on everything in the room with 3 marines(two with pulse rifle the third with a smartgun)...got me killed quite a few times lol.  Over all tho....Love the Alien campaign, makes you stick to the shadows, hit hard n fast :D
Now...I hate to say it but it took me a few deaths getting used to pred.  But once I did, I was unstopable.  Marines are easy to divide and conquer if you tke your time.  Was REALLY liking how the aliens behaved on hard with the pred.  Dodged every mid-long range shot( never bothered to use charged shots) and they take quite a few hits ^~^ Made takin em out satisfying.  So far my favorite species. 
Have yet to try out online and marine campaign but I'm sure it'll be great! ^~^ 8/10 on what I've seen so far

LV426USMC

LV426USMC

HELLO ALL I CAME ACROSS SOME STEAM FORUSM FORMULATING ABOUAT THE NEW AVP GAME KINDA SUCKING... I DONT KNOW I WAS A LITTLE LET DOWN.. BUT U TELL ME, IS IT TRUE TO THE FANS OF THE SERIES IS IT A DECENT GAME? HERES WHAT WAS SAID...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it just me or does it seem like this game was made by Predator fans?

Soo many jungles and ruins!

Im not a Predator fan, im a Alien, Marine fan so you can see my problem..and anyone who says the maps are fine are Predator fans DUN LIE!!

its not fair the devs like Predator fans more!

people keep saying that the new avp is based on the old avp comics, but most if not all of the people who dont like that game were expecting it to be more like the old avp games :/

why dont the marines have helmets!
why cant marines use flares in MP or survival?! D:
why is the flamethrower garbage?

why cant ranked game be played on dedicated servers?
why do you have to search for a new game after each game...it takes more time to search for a game then it takes to play a game.

why does the smart gun sound soo crappy now?

people say "dur dur its a new game dur its not the old ones! " but the old ones work
people STILL play avp2 (idk about avp1 ) because its fun

all new movies that come out use the SAME formula as the oldest of movies because IT WORKS

i guarantee if they released the Bunker map from avp1 survival mode people would play the crap out of it

or if they brought back some avp2 maps people would love them up
(or brought back Evac!)

and dont give me that crap "well you should have looked into it before you bought it, they clearly show this takes place in a jungle"
BS! dont you sit there and tell me THIS TRAILER was not on the interwebs
NO jungle is shown in that trailer
i expected multiplayer to be exactly like that because thats what i was told!!!
multiplyer should be THAT
helmets, sentry guns, industrial, lights flashing
"OH but thats the single player dur dur you OBVIOUSLY didnt play singleplayer"

yes..i did..
and WHY is single player like that and multiplayer is in a crappy "Jungle" there is even a map called JUNGLE!

idk about you guys..some of you might agree with me some of you might think im just crazy but as of now im trying for a refund :/

LV426USMC

Heres a link to the forums going on about the... again i think the game is a major let down to the fans due to sum really crucial points.. ALSO i came across this vid that is a little harsh but does have sum valid points..

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I finish the Alien story mode, I wish the boss battle would have been a bit longer though. Other then that I enjoy the story mode so far. I  can't wait to finish the rest of the story mode.

mavox1

mavox1

the more i play it, the more things i see...

imo, rebellion spent alot of time creating the way the aliens look and move, its fluid, fast, and realisitic for the most part. The AI also seems fairly realisitic in the way aliens use flanking and walls, and are constanty advancing on your position. Very nice.

The drawback is def the marines. Compete and utter idiots. They have absolutely no concept of what its like to be human. If any of them could outscore ol' "85" on aliens 3 on an IQ test, i would be completely amazed. Probably the worst human AI i can remember.

The voice acting is also completely horrid, and they repeat that line "don't let your guard down marines." over and over, completely takes you away from the experience.

However, i do like how the marines shoot randomlly at a cloaked predator, thats a nice touch, even though ive seen that before in other games.

The AI seems somewhat capable during an all out firefight, its not good, but passable imo.

Overall, i'd rate the AI a 3/10. The only reason it gets that high of a score is b/c Rebellion seems capable of replicating an insect's behavior quite well.

btw, humans dont respond to random orders from voices they've never heard before. That's about as bad as someone trying to sound like my boss at work and fooling me with it. yeah wtf.

LogansFolly

LogansFolly

Quote from: Puks on Feb 18, 2010, 11:08:58 PM
First post and I already love you. Haven't played full yet, but those are my thoughts exactly.

But you havn't played it in full yet?

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 19, 2010, 01:22:34 AM
Quote from: redxavier on Feb 19, 2010, 01:08:29 AM
Played two Marine missions and I have to say how much I detest how beefed up the aliens are on Hard mode. I hope their ridiculous ability to stand up to about 30 pulse rifle rounds each before going down is just Rebellion's old school approach to harder difficulty levels, otherwise they've seriously gimped the pulse rifle.

It still only takes about a dozen solid hits. The way Aliens move about  is the real reason you're spending so much ammo on them.

Plus, it's nicely canonical in a sense.
Yeah, I kind of liked that. Even though I got killed loads by the Aliens. >.> Still, so nice to see them finally kicking some ass like they did in Alien.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: LogansFolly on Feb 19, 2010, 07:54:14 AM
Quote from: Puks on Feb 18, 2010, 11:08:58 PM
First post and I already love you. Haven't played full yet, but those are my thoughts exactly.

But you havn't played it in full yet?

Some people just decide beforehand.

Puks

Puks

So what? Playing the demo and reading a lot of reviews gives a pretty good overall knowledge of the game's quality.

And you're saying this like XenoRad's criticism is totally inappropriate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed