TERMINATOR Cyberthread

Started by ShadowPred, Feb 12, 2010, 12:02:24 AM

Author
TERMINATOR Cyberthread (Read 689,295 times)

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 24, 2020, 08:53:48 PM
Meanwhile, the game has an 8.1 user rating on Metacritic and overall Very Positive reviews on Steam.

I do not follow masses and rating scores as it does not represent what game really is. A proper deep analysis with a comparison to other games in the same genre is a better approach.

Saying things like "only fanboys like it" is some pretty heavy No True Scotsman fallacy, and it's pretty offensive to people who enjoyed the game. I like good games and still had a hell of a good time with Resistance in spite of its flaws.

I have a right to my own opinion (and I already stated it) even if it is offensive one. Also you can say it the other way around. If you liked this game then good for you. People enjoy a lot of mediocre stuff but do they know anything better. I just played FPS games with better gameplay mechanics (more enjoyable) in previous era.

If you replace the Terminator themes in the game with something different, can you really say it is a good game gameplaywise?

You could tell the developers really gave a shit, but they had to work within the constraints of their budget and their own abilities.

I do not blame the developers nor do I say that their skills are poor. However there are cases of games with high budgets but still ending up badly and the other way around.

The game succeeds at being what it set out to be: a budget Terminator game that captures the feel of the Future War from the first two movies.

Yes, the game is trying to capture the feel of the future war but does it really succeed at it? Is it similar like in the scenes form the movies i.e. you face really menacing machines or are you a gung-ho cowboy moving down terminators?

How did the game mess up the endoskeleton pistons, by the way?

It might be fixed by now but this is how it was delivered.

https://imgur.com/HufaK1l

https://imgur.com/GiIBYqi

One more funny thing. On internet I dealt with people stating that Predator: Hunting Grounds looks bad graphically and gameplaywise based on all available footage. Like it belongs to PS2 era. However when asked if they watched movies, or examples of better jungle based games, or what is wrong with gameplay, they cannot answer or say this is the way they feel like about it. Critical thinking is hard to come by nowadays.

50percentJoe

50percentJoe

So apparently Ghost Recon Breakpoint will be getting a Terminator tie in sometime around the 28th. I think it was originally supposed to be cross promotional with Dark Fate, but it kept getting delayed. Kinda curious how that will play out, maybe the cross promotion will boost home release sales of the movie.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: molasar on Jan 25, 2020, 12:24:57 AM
Saying things like "only fanboys like it" is some pretty heavy No True Scotsman fallacy, and it's pretty offensive to people who enjoyed the game. I like good games and still had a hell of a good time with Resistance in spite of its flaws.

I have a right to my own opinion (and I already stated it) even if it is offensive one. Also you can say it the other way around. If you liked this game then good for you. People enjoy a lot of mediocre stuff but do they know anything better. I just played FPS games with better gameplay mechanics (more enjoyable) in previous era.
Talking down to people who like something that you didn't like doesn't make you come across as very sympathetic - people are allowed to like things that you don't, and you don't have to belittle them for doing so.

If you replace the Terminator themes in the game with something different, can you really say it is a good game gameplaywise?
It's an average game gameplay-wise, and it's the Terminator elements (and how well it handles them) that elevates it. If I'm playing a game for a Terminator experience and it delivers on the Terminator elements, then mission accomplished.

The game succeeds at being what it set out to be: a budget Terminator game that captures the feel of the Future War from the first two movies.

Yes, the game is trying to capture the feel of the future war but does it really succeed at it? Is it similar like in the scenes form the movies i.e. you face really menacing machines or are you a gung-ho cowboy moving down terminators?
It's more "T2" than "The Terminator", but yes - re-watch the T2 opening scenes, the Resistance people are mowing down Terminators and knocking HKs out of the sky.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 25, 2020, 02:16:48 AMTalking down to people who like something that you didn't like doesn't make you come across as very sympathetic - people are allowed to like things that you don't, and you don't have to belittle them for doing so.

I am not talking down to people. Check my first post to you, so you can see that I wrote that I have a different opinion and gave my reasoning. And yes, somebody who tells a bitter truth does not make them come across as very sympathetic. Also yes, people are allowed to like things that others don't and I do not belittle them for doing so.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 25, 2020, 02:16:48 AMIt's an average game gameplay-wise, and it's the Terminator elements (and how well it handles them) that elevates it. If I'm playing a game for a Terminator experience and it delivers on the Terminator elements, then mission accomplished.

So now you even admit what I had in mind that only the Terminator elements save the game. And I accept that the game delivered a Terminator experience for you. No problem with it at all. However it did not for me. It made me feel like I am a terminator which is better than real machines at everything. I can say that Aliens: Colonial Marines (which I am not a fan of) delivers a better experience than Terminator: Resistance does.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 25, 2020, 02:16:48 AMIt's more "T2" than "The Terminator", but yes - re-watch the T2 opening scenes, the Resistance people are mowing down Terminators and knocking HKs out of the sky.

I rewatched all future war scenes again and all I see is guerrilla rats and sitting ducks in desperation trying to fight against a dominant force. Not to mention it is still cool. I can't say the same about the game.
I am not sure if you are really a gamer or how much you know about gaming development but the future war can be translated into VG much better (with a small budget), even with a current generation of consoles.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

You are mis-remembering Terminator 2:

Like, those are Resistance soldiers full-on running at Skynet's forces and knocking HKs out of the sky and shit.

And yes I am "really a gamer", that's a silly (and irrelevant) thing to even bring up.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 25, 2020, 05:15:59 AM
You are mis-remembering Terminator 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mg7qKstnPk

Like, those are Resistance soldiers full-on running at Skynet's forces and knocking HKs out of the sky and shit.

And yes I am "really a gamer", that's a silly (and irrelevant) thing to even bring up.

No, I am not mis-remembering Terminator 2. It is still looks like a futile and desperate fight similar to Vietcong against US or Taliban against Soviets.

That is not silly as there is a higher chance that you would know better. You just accepted low standards in video games and people generally do this in almost everything. Try to contemplate consequences of these acceptations.
Anyway people were so starved because a lack of Terminator games and it made them see Terminator: Resistance as something great. It is like fasting for a few days and then ordinary food that was taken for granted tastes wonderful. Now imagine that someone made a really good Terminator game and where it would put T: R in people's minds. To its right place where it belongs?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, especially on T2's depiction of the future war in that clip.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I love Resistance game. And i comoletely dont care about games otherwise unless theyre about something Im really passionate about and do it justice. I havent had a great time playing a game like this since Isolation. First game im.playing dor a third time. Love the feel, the music, the premise. But according to that other poster I only like it cause I dont know any better and I just either like crap or blindly like anything related to the terminator cause theres no way there can be any other reason I enjoy it. Or im just blind and dumb

molasar

molasar

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 26, 2020, 06:32:58 AM
I love Resistance game. And i comoletely dont care about games otherwise unless theyre about something Im really passionate about and do it justice. I havent had a great time playing a game like this since Isolation. First game im.playing dor a third time. Love the feel, the music, the premise. But according to that other poster I only like it cause I dont know any better and I just either like crap or blindly like anything related to the terminator cause theres no way there can be any other reason I enjoy it. Or im just blind and dumb
You saying that you do not care about games only confirms that you do not know anything better.
Also you can love and enjoy it all you want but it does not change what it really is. Make an experiment with fasting and you can see yourself that ordinary food and tap water can taste better than ever. Or try to imagine this game with Terminator themes replaced with something different, or try to imagine this game as a completely new IP and films never happened then honestly tell yourself it is a great game among other FPS games. Can those games defend themselves on their own?
I looked up user reviews of it on Steam and GOG, and I find them ridiculous. Nostalgia blindness at its best. They rate it so high that even games with better gameplay, graphics (aesthetically) and stories are not.

Anyway I still wait for a Terminator game which will be a good game, but I know that I should ask only gamers who know what makes a game great for recommendations. And it starts with great gameplay mechanics and loop as it is the main reason to participate in this activity.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

But Molasar, you keep underlining the fact that without the Terminator elements the game wouldnt be as interesting. Well of course. But same goes for any other themed game. I mean, I really liked Battlefront 2 and Isolation but wouldnt play them if they werent Star Wars or Alien related. No matter how good, im just not a big fan of gaming in itself, but what makes them fun for me is that I can interact with these worlds and stories Im a huge fan of. So pulling all Alien elements off Isolation for examole wouldnt want to make me wanna play it. Now, that doesnt mean just about any game with the license to those mythologies would be great to me. Isolation is the first game since Alien Trilogy I cared to pick up. And Resistance is the first game since Redemption I wanted. They must feel right and for me both Isolation and Resistance feel to me as a fan of these mythologies as if they channel the worlds theyre based on perfectly. Again, really like the look, the music and the feel of these games which I dont think any other games before captured as well.
Same goes for the films. Sure, Alien would still be a great film without Weaver and with Alien replaced by another design or monster, playing out the same, but it wouldnt be Alien and wouldnt have that cool element of this particular mythology. Still a great movie but not an alien/xenomorph movie. And same.goes the other way as we know, that not every movie thats an Alien movie is a good movie and theres actually more bad ones that good ones

Also, as for easy mowing of Terminators, the plasma rifles are to terminators what rifles are to human bodies so they go down easily according to the the right gun. My huge problem with post Cameron movies was how overly powerful T800s are with riduculouss superhuman strenght. What gave them advantage was that they were out if their time, not that they were Marvels indestrictible superheroes. But with a gun from its time theyre down like a shot down human. And even if somehow it wasnt clear in T2 or its related media at the time, look at Dark Fate opening in which background endoskeletons are easily shot down by plasma rays

So as the other poster said, were gonna have to agree to disagree. Im having a blast with this game and its feel and design

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: molasar on Jan 26, 2020, 11:57:18 AM
I looked up user reviews of it on Steam and GOG, and I find them ridiculous. Nostalgia blindness at its best. They rate it so high that even games with better gameplay, graphics (aesthetically) and stories are not.
If the player is having fun with the game, that's what matters. Driv3r is a terribly broken game with mediocre graphics and questionable controls, but I dumped hours into it because exploiting the broken stuff was hilarious. Sometimes you don't need "the best graphics" or "the best gameplay" to have fun. I go back and replay Wolfenstein3D all the time and it's fun every time.

molasar

molasar

I agree with you guys. Each one of us has a different opinion. Even I myself like some entertaining stuff that is flawed objectively speaking. And you guys as you wrote in your posts, you did not force yourself to play the game and particular factors kept you enjoying it.

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

I never saw Dark Fate while it was in theatres and that makes me sad.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE on Jan 26, 2020, 09:45:54 PM
I never saw Dark Fate while it was in theatres and that makes me sad.

Blu-ray is out on Tuesday!

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The future war scenes from T2 definitely depict a more organized (what I can assume) offensive against Skynet. T1 mostly shows Reese alone, which would understandably be more sneaking around and guerrilla tactics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed