Those Skulls...

Started by OmegaZilla, Feb 06, 2010, 07:38:31 PM

Author
Those Skulls... (Read 37,169 times)

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

its not about how long they existed, its about how long they have been technologically advanced. do you think in a thousand years we will have the same tech? hows about a million? 2 million?
we might look the same, but just consider how much technological development we have achieved in the past century: space travel, atom smashers, atomic bombs, wireless communications etc. now apply the fact that technology develops exponentially faster and faster. now in a thousand years we should be well ahead of the preds! so are you saying that in over 65 MILLION years preds have been campable of interstellar flight but as was said before cant make a waterproof cloaking device??

Highland

Highland

Quote from: jaztermareal on Apr 20, 2010, 07:52:13 AM
its not about how long they existed, its about how long they have been technologically advanced. do you think in a thousand years we will have the same tech? hows about a million? 2 million?
we might look the same, but just consider how much technological development we have achieved in the past century: space travel, atom smashers, atomic bombs, wireless communications etc. now apply the fact that technology develops exponentially faster and faster. now in a thousand years we should be well ahead of the preds! so are you saying that in over 65 MILLION years preds have been campable of interstellar flight but as was said before cant make a waterproof cloaking device??

Although million year old preds are obviously out of the question, basing age on technology is just as flawed. Tecnology must have a cap,  and until another method is found, waterproof cloaking devices might just not be possible.

Can't believe this ones still going.

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

Quote from: Highland on Apr 20, 2010, 08:07:44 AM

Although million year old preds are obviously out of the question, basing age on technology is just as flawed. Tecnology must have a cap,  and until another method is found, waterproof cloaking devices might just not be possible.

techs 'cap' comes after technology becomes self aware and advances to a singular intelligence or similar.
cloaking devices, plasma casters etc are relatively low tech in the scheme of possible tech (we are already close to both) and in not too long we will likely surpass such a level of tech.
millions of years old pred species? fine.
preds aged millions of years? dumb.
pred species being technologically advanced enough for intersteller space travel millions of years ago and barely developing any new tech until now? utterly stupid.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: jaztermareal on Apr 20, 2010, 08:48:59 AM

techs 'cap' comes after technology becomes self aware and advances to a singular intelligence or similar.
cloaking devices, plasma casters etc are relatively low tech in the scheme of possible tech (we are already close to both) and in not too long we will likely surpass such a level of tech.
pred species being technologically advanced enough for intersteller space travel millions of years ago and barely developing any new tech until now? utterly stupid.

Your assuming that the predators killed the Dinosaurs on Earth and using Earth's Epochs as a time gauge. As i put forward before, Life for all we know replicates similarly on other "Earth like" Planets.

Therefore Dinosaurs living on a Predator Planet isn't out of the question. They might have killed that Triceratops last week for all we know. 

****slowley starts to feel the pull of the thread again*** :P

it is possible that predators have something against AIs and literally do not have the drive or intelligence to develop any more tech than they have, or perhaps even they limit the tech they take to planets based on the tech that planet has.
i am totally against the idea of predators coming to earth more than a couple of thousand years ago, i don't really like the fact that according to AVP they came 12k years ago or whatever it is. but i'm just saying, there's nothing to say that they are not more advanced than we have seen

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

Quote from: Highland on Apr 20, 2010, 09:52:07 AM

Your assuming that the predators killed the Dinosaurs on Earth and using Earth's Epochs as a time gauge. As i put forward before, Life for all we know replicates similarly on other "Earth like" Planets.

Therefore Dinosaurs living on a Predator Planet isn't out of the question. They might have killed that Triceratops last week for all we know. 

****slowley starts to feel the pull of the thread again*** :P

ok dude, get your facts straight: i never assumed the preds killed the dinos! ive been saying against that! (read all my posts in this thread silly! :-*)
we know the dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago, so it is stupid to think that preds were around back then hunting them. i already stated in my theory that dinos could have been moved elsewhere by a different alien millions of years before, and i already said that thats why preds can hunt them currently on another planet. also, yes, earthlike life could evolve independant of earth, but triceratops is a very specific creature with a mix of features very unlikely to occur elsewhere. the chances of two almost identical species evolving on different (even if similar) planets is absolutely low next to zero.
next time read what ive been saying before labelling me among the crackpots. i took the time to read every post on every page of this thread and knew who i was replying to and what they said. do the same please.

rant: off

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

For all we know, Predators reached a certain technological point and said 'Hmkay boys, this is good enough. Let's stop here or our prey won't stand a chance... and where's the fun in that?'

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Apr 20, 2010, 03:54:23 PM
For all we know, Predators reached a certain technological point and said 'Hmkay boys, this is good enough. Let's stop here or our prey won't stand a chance... and where's the fun in that?'
its doubtful the predator scientists/techs would be making tech just for hunting. in fact its kinda silly to think an entire civilisation devotes its existence to hunting for sport. even if the hunters (likely only a fraction of pred society) decided to stop developing their weapons, it wouldnt halt technological development in other areas (cloaking, space travel, genetics, computers, stasis pods, robots, translators etc etc). an entire race doesnt just say 'ok, i think weve done enough. let be content with this tech for next 100 million years'. even if a race did manage to agree and do that, a couple of generations down the line they would start again.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

It's silly to us, but we certainly don't know the predators' personality.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

I feel embarassed it even has to be mentioned... :-\
Not just personality, but in fact nothing on which strong statements about their society (including the way of making and real purpose of tech) can be made

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Exactly. They could have a completely different mentality from us. They could see the world and things around them very differently than what we do. Maybe the hunt is not just a bare sport but maybe it is something strictly related to their religion and cults - maybe it's their corrispective of ancient Human sacrifices, who knows.

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

the point is the closest comparrison is humans. and the reds share alot in common (physiology, direction of technological developments so far, individuals sense of honour/fair etc. so there is there is enough to make safe assumptions, and of corse if applying logic too then saaying things like 'maybe they think nothing like us' is even less founded and less likely than 'perhaps they do simply think like us'. there is plenty evidence to suggest many things (preds arent just made up of hunters. there are builders, techs, scientists etc. how do we know? they have big ships that travel long distances quickly and advanced tech and weapons, stuff that doesnt come from nomadic tribes who go out hunting for sport/tradition.).
applying simple logic like this clears up alot of questions and is what i do  all the time instead of going 'the preds are only hunters who never develop their technology beyond its current point coz they dont like it and it might make them too stong or summat' (the tech they already use is overkill, if they were afraid of uneven playing field they would have just hunted the humans with bow and arrows and wrist blades, and avoided the cloaking device altogether.)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quoteapplying simple logic like this clears up alot of questions

And makes them simple. It is totally likely they don't think anything like us. The opposite is possible as well. You're assumptions are just good as anyone else's. There are no concrete facts about preds aside from the bits we know from the movies. And that's good like that, keeps you thinking and discussing.
If you use simple logic like they have to have workers etc. because they have ships, okay, your choice. If you can't imagine them in nomadic tribes and have them this tech, okay. But it still doesn't make your assumptions are correct statements.

jaztermareal

jaztermareal

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Apr 20, 2010, 06:28:56 PM
Quoteapplying simple logic like this clears up alot of questions

And makes them simple. It is totally likely they don't think anything like us. The opposite is possible as well. You're assumptions are just good as anyone else's. There are no concrete facts about preds aside from the bits we know from the movies. And that's good like that, keeps you thinking and discussing.
If you use simple logic like they have to have workers etc. because they have ships, okay, your choice. If you can't imagine them in nomadic tribes and have them this tech, okay. But it still doesn't make your assumptions are correct statements.

i never said my assumptions were correct canon, just that given the evidence as presented in the movies supports my theory and seems not to support yours. until a movie establishes either as canon all ideas can stand, but we can still select the most likely using logic, science etc and thats what ive been doing. im not gonna try to convert you, but i will say (and not in a cocky way) my ideas are shared other members here and are backed up with evidence. unless you can provide evidence otherwise, its pretty clear my idea is more likely, therefore preferable.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quoteseems not to support yours
Not to support mine? I said nothing about my concepts in this thread about their society and technology, I guess. Don't take it as an offend, but I didn't say a word.

Well, even if supported by any members on this forum, or wherever on this planet, your ideas aren't really prefearable. I'm not saying it as criticism, and don't take it as an offend also. But there are no evidence aside from some obvious facts from the movie. But those can either support one or another idea. The logic you mention could be used if the basis of the whole discussion would be around things you can experience and study on this wrld, hence use normal logic to it. Since you can't, and you don't have evidence for it, it can't be really preferable. Not as a pun, again.
And I know what you say is shared by members, and i don't have anything against it. I accept it as another concept. Maybe what I think is not right, I can accept that. But again, I said nothing about my ideas yet, and i didn't wish to now. I just pointed out that none assumption is better or more logical than the other. They can be discussed or tried to be persuaded to another on this subject, but with all respect, none can be proven. And none are more likely. That's all I was saying. And I guess I'm off topic, so I stop. But I think what I say in this way is more than obvious.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed