"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien

Started by VEF214, Jan 21, 2010, 02:04:18 PM

Author
"Enter Vent" and "Transition" as an Alien (Read 16,600 times)

Private W Hudson

Quote from: EC jay on Jan 21, 2010, 09:19:39 PM
Quote from: Giger_Incubator on Jan 21, 2010, 09:05:50 PM
Are you that bad of a player that when you know you're coming up to a vent you want to go through, after going through hundreds before it, you're not going to be able to hit A fast enough that its fluid.

Cause from the looks of it, the animation is just as fast as if you did just go through it normal.

So the problem is you're not very good at playing games right?
hahahaha, oh wow
if only you played against me  :D
no, that's not what I'm saying, at all
AJL's post sum it up pretty nicely what I'm worried about
and that's having LESS control
as I said before, it may be good for beginning players that are still learning how to play alien, but NOT for experienced players

your posts make me wonder if you've ever played avp tbh (alien that is)

I know man this isnt halo this is AVP no mastercheif, ya dig?

EC jay

Quote from: kvon17 on Jan 21, 2010, 09:22:23 PM
No. AJL compared getting killed while going into vents to getting killed while going through a random door.

The rest of my post was unrelated to that.
ah, ic, I misunderstood that
but imho there shouldn't be a difference between going through a door and going through a vent
it takes control away from the player and that's rarely a good thing

skull-splitter

Only just seen the vid, but man, that kills immersion, but I can imagine why they opted for this approach: regular wallwalking would get you stuck on the edges I guess.

Le Celticant

This part of the gameplay is truly screwed up IMO.
First of all the animation simply sucks, it's like you teleport from a side to the other one.
Secondly, there's no way to choose where you land for example as seen in the video the ALIEN went off the vent and fall on the ground where 2 marines where searching for something. Fortunately thus dumb AI didn't notice it but imagine the Marines are just down the vent. It's a trap if you get out the vent since you can't just get out and walk directly on the ceiling.
The transition is clearly scripted and I hate that, it removes player freedom to do whatever they want in the game. No more tactics and multiple options, they almost tell you what to do.

AJL also resumed well this vent transition.

DrHobo

The transition with pressing a button would be ok if it wasn't that badly responsive. The alien player in the video had problems getting the command line 'press X to enter vent' because he really had to be near the entrance and aim at it properly.

Would be cool if the alien could target the vent from a distance and press a 'special enter vent button' to leap in it.

But it's no biggy. We'll adapt.

Death+Doom

Quote from: Swizzly64 on Jan 21, 2010, 09:33:50 PM

But it's no biggy. We'll adapt.

nicely put! its amazing how 2 words can just solve a huge dispute ;D. and no thats not sarcasm :)

Brother

Doesn't solve anything and it means that we have to adapt to a shitty gameplay.

DrHobo

I assume that also an alien must stop and enter a vent slower than usual.

It adds a tiny bit of realism.

Eidotemit

I don't mind the transition thing. I understand why people do, but it wont take long (at all) to get used to it and transition seamlessly.

AJL

They could have made it so that instead of initiating automated movement, selecting
vent opening would lock player movement direction into kind of turus that goes through
the vent opening... so forward would go through, backward would pull back and strafing
movement would circle around the opening... and when you go all the way through or
pull all the way back you return back to normal movement style...

But... Even this kind of system should be only optional... players still should be able to
go through those vent openings the good old fashioned way...

Glowing_Amraam

I'm sure we'll adapt no matter how it works...
But for me, i hope we at least get to chose:

Auto-leap into vents,
- or simply run up to the vent as we chose and enter it without anything doing it for us.

skull-splitter

Wow, AJL, that would really be nice!

VEF214

VEF214

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jan 21, 2010, 09:28:08 PM
This part of the gameplay is truly screwed up IMO.
First of all the animation simply sucks, it's like you teleport from a side to the other one.
Secondly, there's no way to choose where you land for example as seen in the video the ALIEN went off the vent and fall on the ground where 2 marines where searching for something. Fortunately thus dumb AI didn't notice it but imagine the Marines are just down the vent. It's a trap if you get out the vent since you can't just get out and walk directly on the ceiling.
The transition is clearly scripted and I hate that, it removes player freedom to do whatever they want in the game. No more tactics and multiple options, they almost tell you what to do.

AJL also resumed well this vent transition.

I agree the animation itself is pretty bad. You stop for half a second, shoot up, do a 180, then appear again. It just looks very strange. I also agree it's annoying you can't choose where you land, when he landed on the ground in front of the marines, what if he still wanted to be on the ceiling?  ::) I hope Rebellion sees this thread.  ::) I also hope we get more footage like this of Alien gameplay so we can look at it further and critique it even more!  ;D

edit: Did you also notice that the alien player fell on top of two marines and they... had a heart attack and just flopped lifelessly to the ground? What was up with that? Did the force of the alien falling on top of them kill them? Please explain.

Brother

Quote from: VEF214 on Jan 21, 2010, 09:59:56 PM
::) I hope Rebellion sees this thread.  ::)

Like they'd care.

predalien27

Eh... if it feels wrong in-game then I'll complain, but till then I don't care too much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed