Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 78,688 times)

Xhan

Xhan

Just got my first 30 to 0 streak spamming the disk and sprint-recall with one melee HA spam kill, had a full server quit but two... wonder if it needs fixing or not.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

HA.

Well that says something now don't it?

Xhan

Xhan

Perhaps; I mean it's very Predtastic to throw the disc and then literally run away, right? The only thing missing was "tap mouse4 for little girl giggle". Maybe QA was on Boxing Day during Disc roll out and implementation. I can tell you right now this is gonna make Domination a breeze to Pred through.

Serial

Serial

^Is anyone getting similarly high levels of kill streaks with the pred disc in either of the console versions? Having tried the PS3 demo, aiming with the disc and spear seems like a pain compared to the PC version. Maybe they balanced it based on the fact that players would have trouble trying to aim with an analog stick against moving targets?  :-\

MichaelJacksonFan

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 14, 2010, 07:00:39 AM
What makes you think that gameplay features designed for war games would be appropriate for a game that's one part survival horror and two parts stealth?

I really wouldn't call the marine part survival horror, it's heavily focused on shooting Aliens. with guns. from firsrt perspective. This game is essentially a first person shooter with some stuff added on.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

From what we've seen/been told, a lot of the Marine campaign hinges on surviving until certain conditions are met rather than racking up a large killcount.

Time will tell, but the fact that the first mission, even after acquisition of the pulse rifle, has you evading and running from the Aliens rather than actively fighting them is telling.

Either way, the point remains - this isn't a battlefield-oriented wargame. The environments are dark and enclosed. Your primary concern in any combat situation is negating the agility and stealth of your enemies.

skull-splitter

The marine is seriously f**ked. Just played a round, came out on top, but man, those auto-stealthkills are anoying...

richer

richer

I dont konw what this whole "consoles can't aim" argument is :s the disc is a stacked weapon no matter what platform you play it on. Getting 20-25 kill streaks with it is no problem. I love playing pred but even i gotta say that the disc needs to get nerfed and the spear needs to get beefed up, ya know, so it becomes more useful.

And this game clearly has more of a focus on multiplayer than on singleplayer, which means a lot of the dev time and features in the game were used on the multiplayer. Why isnt there a net gun? it wouldnt work for multiplayer. Why cant i crouch/use iron sights? wouldnt work for multiplayer. Why is the alien so slow? wouldnt work for multiplayer. These were all developer decisions to make this game more competitive and balanced in a multiplayer arena.

nyce

nyce

No crouch becouse it wont help, but walking definetly will...

IMO walk is useless, and crouch should be in the game with a functionality to dodge incoming melees or the maps should have some places where you can get only by crouch.

ObiFett

ObiFett

Proposed fixes

Problem #1: Predators are forced to rush to kill marines, causing them to be less stealth/surprise and more suicide.
Fix: Time given to kill Marines needs to be increased.

Problem #2: Predators need to gather weapons to be powerful leading to more of problem #1.
Fix: Predators should spawn with all weapons.

Problem #3: Predators sometimes spawn within sight/reach of marines causing nearly an instant death at the hands of the marines.
Fix: Set all Predator spawns to be out of reach/sight of Marines

Problem #4: In games consisting of higher than 10 players, predators are seen so easily through the motion tracker and Sniper that decloaking to kill always results in a death.
Fix: Increase Predator count to 2 when more than 10 players are in the match.  Predators can not kill each other.

Just some things I noticed while playing all day yesterday.

As a side note, Infestation is perfect, as is species deathmatch.  Survivor is amazing but needs more maps (I know, they're coming).

MisterGone

MisterGone

#1: I agree, the limited time I've actually gotten to play pred hunt I've found that gathering weapons takes some time, especially if you have a decent marine team, I need to plan my way around the map just to grab the spear or disc, by the time I do I have maybe 10-15 sec to attack and get a kill. Maybe bump the timer up to 50-60sec? Nothing huge just a little more time to plan your attack.

#2: Now this I'm not sure, I don't mind grabbing the weapons; I just need more time to do it. I think the only weapon I'd even consider fair to be spawned with is the spear since it takes a bit of skill and aiming.

#3: Agree here too, there needs to be some code that can spawn you in an isolated area to start off. I can't tell you the number of kills I got from a new pred popping up in the same room as me, he didn't have a prayer.

#4: No, I like that its one against many, that's the true Predator style.

ObiFett

ObiFett

The thing with problem #4 is also that when its 1 Predator and 11+ marines, the majority of the marines are bored out of their mind because they rarely actually encounter the Predator.  I think adding another Predator for games of 10+ would help the marines have more fun as well.

Porkus Maximus

1.  Yes.

2.  LOL no.

3. Yes.  It's unbelievable that this happens in a modern game.

4. Yeah.  1 vs 10 is ridonkulous odds.

VEF214

VEF214

Perhaps the Marines could spawn in waves in Predator Hunt?

If you die as a Marine then you don't respawn until every else has died, a.k.a. you respawn as an entire team? Each kill could earn time for the Pred and all but if he killed everyone he could get a huge time increase seeing as he's just that good.

Ironseven

Ironseven

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 17, 2010, 04:40:51 PM
Perhaps the Marines could spawn in waves in Predator Hunt?

If you die as a Marine then you don't respawn until every else has died, a.k.a. you respawn as an entire team? Each kill could earn time for the Pred and all but if he killed everyone he could get a huge time increase seeing as he's just that good.

Sounds.. a little boring perhaps

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed