All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,379 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 05, 2018, 06:56:47 AM
Oh, and since I loved Band of Brothers so much, I'm looking forward to checking out Erik Jendresen's unproduced Trek script about the Romulan war.

Just finished reading it. It definitely reads like the first draft it is. Some interesting stuff in there but it feels like too much for just a movie (even if it ends with To Be Continued). Feels like it should be a mini-series. I liked all a lot of the connective tissue but sometimes it did feel a little off. So much cloaking. So much. Really wish the prequels wouldn't f**k about with cloaks.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 15, 2018, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jan 05, 2018, 06:56:47 AM
Oh, and since I loved Band of Brothers so much, I'm looking forward to checking out Erik Jendresen's unproduced Trek script about the Romulan war.

Just finished reading it. It definitely reads like the first draft it is. Some interesting stuff in there but it feels like too much for just a movie (even if it ends with To Be Continued). Feels like it should be a mini-series. I liked all a lot of the connective tissue but sometimes it did feel a little off. So much cloaking. So much. Really wish the prequels wouldn't f**k about with cloaks.

Also, Jendresen clearly still had Band of Brothers in his system, what with the allusions to the Battle of the Bulge and such. And I really have no idea about the cloaking, so that worked for me.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They made a big deal out of it in Balance of Terror with it being an unknown technology. Enterprise f**ks that up a bit with the Sulaban too.

Re: Discovery's latest episode - I enjoyed it.

Spoiler
I'm so glad they're sticking it through and staying in the Mirror Universe for an extended time. Really enjoyed the opening monologue with how difficult it was for Burnham to stay in-character.
[close]

Re - Tyler

Spoiler
At least it's finally out there. It would have been so much better had the fanbase not figured it out ages ago. I really didn't think she was going to kill him but I hadn't considered using him to deliver that intel so that was kinda cool. Really interested to see where/how far they go with this story angle.
[close]

SM

SM

Stuff like that is easy to fix (or stuff up) in Star Trek with time travel.  There was a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey sat in San Fran park in 1986 for a couple of days.  The crew of which gave some dude a recipe for transparent aluminium.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Jan 16, 2018, 09:29:03 AM
Stuff like that is easy to fix (or stuff up) in Star Trek with time travel.  There was a cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey sat in San Fran park in 1986 for a couple of days.  The crew of which gave some dude a recipe for transparent aluminium.

I'm sure we could find a fansplanation for it but it's just one of those things that doesn't settle down right for me.

https://www.inverse.com/article/40200-shazad-latif-star-trek-discovery-ep-11-voq-tyler-spoilers?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=outreach&utm_campaign=organic

Spoilers re Voq.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I had forgotten that cloaking was a new thing in Balance of Terror. I know Jendresen was thinking about how to explain why no one knew what Romulans looked like by then, but that may have been the subject of one of the sequels. Also, I should mention I got a good laugh out of Archer and company being unable to help because they were chilling on Risa. :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That was something I was bummed out by. I appreciate it was aimed at being one of a few but I was like where are the NX's, where are all the Daedalus' having it out? I dunno, I guess I felt a little underwhelmed by it.  :-\

Then again, I wasn't a massive fan of the more recent book series covering the Romulan War either. Maybe I've got it built up a little too much in my mind.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Re: the latest episode -

Spoiler
I loved that reveal. I just also hate how on the mark the fans have been at predicting this show.
[close]

SM

SM

Just watched The Way To Eden.

ye gods...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek (Nerdist Presents)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=58&v=v3Nv2R9Acec

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

lol brilliant.  ;D

SM

SM

That's awesome.  :laugh:

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2018, 08:09:57 PM
Re: the latest episode -

Spoiler
I loved that reveal. I just also hate how on the mark the fans have been at predicting this show.
[close]

It's true that reviews (such as from a Star Trek YouTube channel, Trekspertise), has predicted all the main plot points as Discovery season 1, part 2 begins.
Is that a bad thing? Not imo.
The series writers are trying new plot ideas blended with something which have some connections to ST canon.
As a result, with a 700+ ST story franchise, repetition is inevitable and plot twists are going to be figured out by the Memory Alpha crowd.

As for Discovery, in part 2 of season 1, one thing that keeps impressing me is the movie level visuals and the quality of the performances.
And even if some things were spoiled, (hey it was my choice to watch those reviews!), there is still a lot going on to entertain my inner Star Trek fan.

The only challenge remains for the whole series; this show should completely take place in an alternate reality/universe (like in the Kelvin timeline).

;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I wish they'd have stuck it in the Kelvin-verse too but oh well. I'm enjoying the stories and the extended stay in the MU.

I wasn't expecting
Spoiler
them to bring back the Empress with them either and I have to wonder how they're going to reconcile the Federation nearly being defeated.
[close]

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 01, 2018, 08:58:19 AM
I wish they'd have stuck it in the Kelvin-verse too but oh well. I'm enjoying the stories and the extended stay in the MU.

I wasn't expecting
Spoiler
them to bring back the Empress with them either and I have to wonder how they're going to reconcile the Federation nearly being defeated.
[close]

Discovery is very entertaining adventure science fiction.
Plot twists? The series writers love them.

As I watch Discovery episodes I am reminded of Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek".
- In that movie a hypernova could destroy life in a galaxy. That was a stretch of ST canon but obscure examples could be found in the franchise which could support the idea.
- With Discovery this death concept is extended much further. (It actually becomes pretty silly imo.)

Spoiler
The destruction of the spore network will lead to the death of all known life in all universes!
[close]
The 2009 Star Trek movie has long distance transport called transwarp beaming.
It also stretches ST canon but doesn't break it. There are other examples of long distance transport in the franchise.
- But Discovery has to push the idea to the extreme.

Spoiler
where entire ships can not only instantly appear light years away but can pop in and out of other universes.
[close]

* But I just keep enjoying the series because of the visuals, sound, cast, pacing and plot twists.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed