All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,372 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 20, 2013, 03:57:52 AM
Actually yeah, you're right about that. First Contact is the best one with Nemesis barely pulling in second place. The other two were pretty lousy, especially Generations.

Nah - can't agree with that. Generations was a very emotionally charged movie for Picard and I really love that.

First Contact and Wrath of Khan are some of my favorite films.

I really enjoyed Into Darkness, but like 2009, I think this'll fall apart the more thought you put into it. That said, I'm excited to go see it again this weekend.

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 21, 2013, 12:09:24 AM
Quote from: Aspie on May 21, 2013, 12:01:22 AM
MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT: Needed more Karl Urban :P

Agreed.

With the old series, the three leads were always Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. With the reboot, it's Kirk, Spock, and Uhura.

I need my Bones, damnit.
Yeah, Bones has always been one of my favorite characters. His humor is awesome. I was a tad disappointing that we didn't get a lot of him, but whatever. The film was still awesome. :P

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2013, 12:09:54 AM
Actually yeah, you're right about that. First Contact is the best one with Nemesis barely pulling in second place. The other two were pretty lousy, especially Generations.

Nah - can't agree with that. Generations was a very emotionally charged movie for Picard and I really love that.

I liked that aspect of it. But the villain was just terrible, and the whole Kirk/Picard mashup was criminally mishandled.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 21, 2013, 12:11:11 AM

I liked that aspect of it. But the villain was just terrible, and the whole Kirk/Picard mashup was criminally mishandled.

Not only mishandled, but killing off Kirk made about as much sense as a person walking across a stony field in a pair of sandals, along with the battle scene between the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey being an absolute travesty. A freaking battlecruiser of a vessel is destroyed by the F-16 of space ships? Pfft. Not to mention there was more emotion in Data finding Spot than there was in Kirk's burial scene.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 21, 2013, 12:27:16 AM

Not only mishandled, but killing off Kirk made about as much sense as a person walking across a stony field in a pair of sandals, along with the battle scene between the Enterprise and the Bird of Prey being an absolute travesty. A freaking battlecruiser of a vessel is destroyed by the F-16 of space ships? Pfft. Not to mention there was more emotion in Data finding Spot than there was in Kirk's burial scene.

I had no issue with killing Kirk. It was how he died that miffed me.

ace3g

ace3g

lol

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ace3g on May 21, 2013, 12:42:02 AM
Spoiler

Abrams be crazy but hey, it worked.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 21, 2013, 12:56:07 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 21, 2013, 12:27:16 AM

I had no issue with killing Kirk. It was how he died that miffed me.

What would you have preferred?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Something that just packed more of a punch. Something more Wrath of Khan or even, dare I say, Nemesis-esque. Offing a major character in a meaningful, thematic way.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 21, 2013, 12:59:54 AM
Quote from: ace3g on May 21, 2013, 12:42:02 AMI had no issue with killing Kirk. It was how he died that miffed me.

What would you have preferred?

Out with a bang on the bridge of the Enterprise-A.  George Kirk style.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 20, 2013, 08:13:34 PM
http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkness-the-spoiler-faq-508927844

:laugh:

Spoiler
Quote— even better. So what wouldn't Khan's blood fix? Decapitation, but most other mortal wounds? Poisons? Phaser blasts, I bet. Certainly most other illnesses and cancers and such. And probably aging, at leats to an extent. So basically Bones has discovered the secret to eternal life, and not only will no one on the Enterprise ever need to die again unless their body is somehow destroyed, but all of the civilization — heck, probably galactic civilization – will be irrevocably changed because of this amazing discovery.

Uh, I don't think so. I think they just save Kirk and then forget about it.

Of course they do.
[close]

Holy shit this pretty much sums up my entire theory on these new Trek films, exactly right on many fronts.

'using Khan just proves that nu-Trek is going to be nothing more than the greatest hits version of Star Trek, and not even the original hits — some new band covering the old hits. It means that Abrams doesn't have any original ideas for Star Trek, and is content to rehash the shit people enjoyed the first time. Of all the classic Trek characters to bring back, of all the classic stories they could have brought to mass audiences for the first time, or even bad stories that they could have improved, they go with the one character everybody already f**king knows because they think all we want to see is the same old shit.'

Magegg

Magegg

Hey, anyone has more information about the upcoming Star Trek anime?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Hubbs on May 21, 2013, 03:05:22 AM

Spoiler
Quote— even better. So what wouldn't Khan's blood fix? Decapitation, but most other mortal wounds? Poisons? Phaser blasts, I bet. Certainly most other illnesses and cancers and such. And probably aging, at leats to an extent. So basically Bones has discovered the secret to eternal life, and not only will no one on the Enterprise ever need to die again unless their body is somehow destroyed, but all of the civilization — heck, probably galactic civilization – will be irrevocably changed because of this amazing discovery.

Of course they do.
[close]

Holy shit this pretty much sums up my entire theory on these new Trek films, exactly right on many fronts.

Spoiler
'using Khan just proves that nu-Trek is going to be nothing more than the greatest hits version of Star Trek, and not even the original hits — some new band covering the old hits. It means that Abrams doesn't have any original ideas for Star Trek, and is content to rehash the shit people enjoyed the first time. Of all the classic Trek characters to bring back, of all the classic stories they could have brought to mass audiences for the first time, or even bad stories that they could have improved, they go with the one character everybody already f**king knows because they think all we want to see is the same old shit.'
[close]

Use some f**king spoiler tags for those spoilers. The film's only been out for a weekend a lotta places.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 20, 2013, 11:28:37 PM
That's actually kinda why I liked it; felt like watching the show, and I always enjoy a good TNG episode.

The whole movie felt a bad episode to me. Nothing about STI was memorable at all.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Hubbs on May 21, 2013, 03:05:22 AM

Spoiler

Of course they do.
[close]

Except that it's not true. They only reused two characters and one scene. Literally everything else about the movie is new. Hell, even the two reused characters play largely different roles and do entirely different things.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed