All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,474 times)

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 15, 2013, 11:22:26 PMAnd his review: http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/14/star-trek-into-darkness-spoiler-review/
Spoiler: He really didnt like it.

I almost entirely agree with this review... The only points I don't, it's the comparisons between ID and Star Trek II, since I haven't watched the latter.

But, yeah, I agree. I just cannot understand how most of the people say it's a great movie. It's a very stupid one.

Also, it's just a very generic movie. Anyone notice recently every movie is about fighting a terrorist?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Fighting terrorists in movies made during the War on Terror? Almost as absurd as fighting Russians in movies made during the Cold War! Or Germans made during the World Wars!

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Shit's unheard of.

(Dat sexy set)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Completely preposterous.

(Right back atcha)

Blacklabel

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Quote from: Blacklabel on May 16, 2013, 05:55:11 PM
http://io9.com/star-trek-into-dumbness-507058729

Although the complaints are reasonable, some of them were things that bugged me too, I actually really enjoyed the movie and thought this review was a little harsh, even if it does have a point.
Also I enjoyed Into Darkness much more that IM3 personally.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

From the 'Last Movie You Watched' thread:

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2013, 02:39:42 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness

Well, that was fantastic. Easily my favorite movie of 2013 so far. The cast retains its excellent chemistry that has only been expanded on since the first film, Benedict Cumberbatch's John Harrison is amazing to watch on screen, and there are even a ton of fun little references to the originals scattered about. I had a blast watching the movie, and almost feel as though it demands a second viewing.

J.J. Abrams, I know you have that whole Star Wars thing going on at the moment, but if you find the time please come back for a third movie.

And now some [HUGE] spoilers:

Spoiler
"KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN" ;D

The scene where Kirk 'dies' had me on the verge of tears.

And I found it kind of strange how, after the first set of credits, they dedicated the film to the victims (I think it said victims) of 9/11. Though it does make sense, given some of the content of the film.
[close]

EDIT: Oh, after watching this I now want to check out the old Trek films.

genocyber

genocyber

I felt this film was lacking the great space battles Wrath of Khan had. The space battle was over very quick, and lacked the dramatic tension.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

So, just wondering, anyone else go in not knowing... [HUGE SPOILER]

Spoiler
Seriously, huge spoilers
Spoiler
...that John Harrison was Khan? I myself heard rumors months ago, but never paid any attention to them. The big reveal certainly took me by surprise.

And even having never seen a non-Abrams Star Trek film before (or the episode of the series with Khan in it) I still felt completely immersed in the character and picked up on a lot of the references to the original (Spock's "KHAAAAANNNNNNNN" was absolutely amazing in the context of this film. As I mentioned last night Kirk's 'death' nearly had crying. I felt my eyes watering up a bit). Cumberbatch blew me away in the role and I would certainly love to see him again, should the story call for it.

Kirk's and Spock's relationship has also been expanded upon in great ways since the first movie. I absolutely love their friendship and just how far they have come since the 2009 movie. The supporting cast is great, too. Uhura is very cool, Bones is my favorite supporting character to watch, Scotty is hilarious, the recently introduced Carol Marcus, small as her role was, made her presence known, and the rest of the cast all did great as well.
[close]
[close]

Like I said yesterday, I almost feel as though this movie demands multiple viewings. Definitely going to be purchasing this on Blu Ray when the time comes, and I can not wait to experience it again and again.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

My review as seen in the Last Movie You Watched thread:

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 17, 2013, 06:22:25 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness

Where do I start... how about with a bold statement? One of the best sci-fi space opera adventures ever put to the big screen, really I can only think of a bare few to match it or even roam within the same league-- Wall-E and the first Star Trek Abrams film. Again, Abrams combines impeccable character, jaw dropping science fiction set pieces, intense drama, and awe-inspiring visuals into a tightly wound and brilliantly edited film.

The performances and from all of the leads (and some previously supporting characters really stepping into the foreground) and the chemistry between them is simply infallible, which is to be reiterated if the first film didn't confirm that already-- it's hard to pick a standout because of how well they all play off of each other. This film had me tearing up one moment and then noticing my mouth hanging wide open the next out of pure awe of the beautifully directed action unfolding before me. JJ Abrams is as much of an actor's director as he is a visual one; his swooping and constantly moving shots are stylish without distracting and in a more refined manner than ever before. All together, to call his work 'immerse' would be to damn it with faint praise.

One of my only problems with the first Star Trek film was its underdeveloped villain who never had much to do and had motivations that were revealed just late enough not to make much of an impact... that is anything but the issue here in Into Darkness as Cumberbatch's John Harrison is anything but unimactful. From his steely blue eyes and piercing stare to his flawless posture and precise movement, his very presence is the definition of tension. His villainy could be so clearly felt that it put a smile on my face. But a simple villain John Harrison is not, as his motivations are revealed as much more complex than what we are initially lead to believe.

Spoiler
Luckily, before I saw the movie I had briefed myself on the character of Khan and his place within the universe, and starting to see the pieces fall into place was like watching a window slowly cracking under pressure, and when Cumberbatch delivers THE line-- it shatters and even though the movie allowed you to see it coming, it blows you away in the process. The air was literally sucked out of the room and into space. The audience took a moment and then made their amusement audible; I was among them.

This came right back to everybody during the warp drive re-alignment scene-- knowing who was on which side of the glass and actually seeing it happen was incredible and hit even harder when the scene came. It seemed they were setting Spock up to accept death when it came to him, but really what it was working him toward was the death of another: a friend. Something must be said for Pine and Quinto's work in this scene, as it was played in a way that breaks beyond simply paying homage to the original universe's iteration of it, but truly makes it revelatory for each character's development-- particularly that of Spock's. When Quinto finally let out -THE- line of swelling rage and unshackled emotion, it was simply perfect. Attributing that line to Spock's prior choice to repress emotion was to the point where he no longer could, and I'm going to use the word again, nothing short of brilliant.
[close]

This is where I end the review because every time I think I can find the right place to end it, a new noteworthy detail of the seemingly endless levels of enjoyment I got out of watching the film crops up. It's a delight to have mere moments amongst incredible action scenes that I was so taken aback by that I want to mention them in a review, something meant to encapsulate my impressions of the film's essence. Easily my favorite film I've seen this year, and possibly one that can hold its place right up to the end. If you liked or loved the first Star Trek movie, this film will likely have you as blown away as it had me. If JJ doesn't come back to wrap the films up as a trilogy, I very well may cry. I can't imagine any other modern director taking the reigns of this universe; he owns it with pride and through wondrous execution.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2013, 10:43:12 AM
So, just wondering, anyone else go in not knowing... [HUGE SPOILER]

Spoiler
Seriously, huge spoilers
Spoiler
...that John Harrison was Khan? I myself heard rumors months ago, but never paid any attention to them. The big reveal certainly took me by surprise.

And even having never seen a non-Abrams Star Trek film before (or the episode of the series with Khan in it) I still felt completely immersed in the character and picked up on a lot of the references to the original (Spock's "KHAAAAANNNNNNNN" was absolutely amazing in the context of this film. As I mentioned last night Kirk's 'death' nearly had crying. I felt my eyes watering up a bit). Cumberbatch blew me away in the role and I would certainly love to see him again, should the story call for it.

Kirk's and Spock's relationship has also been expanded upon in great ways since the first movie. I absolutely love their friendship and just how far they have come since the 2009 movie. The supporting cast is great, too. Uhura is very cool, Bones is my favorite supporting character to watch, Scotty is hilarious, the recently introduced Carol Marcus, small as her role was, made her presence known, and the rest of the cast all did great as well.
[close]
[close]
Spoiler
I'd heard some rumors going back to the ideas that had been thrown around for the script in general, but I never had it spoiled for me straight up. The fact that I knew the possibility was present just made the easing into it all that much better.
[close]

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Just seen it.... I dunno what some people are seeing in this movie, I just couldn't get into it at all.  I'm not a big Abrams fan yet I really enjoyed his first outing, but this was just confusing, over the top and just down-right stupid in some places, I can't even be bothered to review it!

...oh yeah, I forgot to add, the fake lens flare thing that bothered so many people about the original is even MORE apparent in this movie... what is it about that!!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

'Fake' lens flares? They are quite real, my friend:

Anyways, they weren't even as obvious in this one as they were in the first. Not that I care either way; they are a trademark of Abrams' style and I am perfectly fine with them.

The only thing that I would say was a bit confusing (not really the word I want to use, but whatever) was
Spoiler
them specifically needing Khan's blood to revive Kirk. They had 72 pods of super-people right there.

Though its easy to explain. It can just be interpreted that Khan's blood had already been synthesized and tested on the Tribble and that it would have taken too much time to replicate the process with the blood of the person that they had thawed out.
[close]

EEV2650

EEV2650

I posted this yesterday in the Talk thread. Probably would have been more appropriate putting it here. Yesterday Star Trek Into Darkness was sent up to the space station. There was a live interview conducted afterwards. Me and some friends watched it yesterday. Pretty fun stuff.

https://plus.google.com/events/cla0klc2vnmgibs8ij01at37o9o#events/cla0klc2vnmgibs8ij01at37o9o

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2013, 01:18:40 PM
'Fake' lens flares? They are quite real, my friend:

Anyways, they weren't even as obvious in this one as they were in the first. Not that I care either way; they are a trademark of Abrams' style and I am perfectly fine with them.

The only thing that I would say was a bit confusing (not really the word I want to use, but whatever) was
Spoiler
them specifically needing Khan's blood to revive Kirk. They had 72 pods of super-people right there.

Though its easy to explain. It can just be interpreted that Khan's blood had already been synthesized and tested on the Tribble and that it would have taken too much time to replicate the process with the blood of the person that they had thawed out.
[close]
Yeah, they were considerably toned down in Into Darkness.

Spoiler
As for the blood, it seemed to me that it was more about keeping all of the potentially dangerous genetically enhanced crew in cryo if at all possible. Khan, already awakened, presented no extra risk beyond his capture. Kirk was already dead so in the moment it was less a matter of time and more a matter of preventing a new potential threat.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 17, 2013, 01:31:06 PM
Spoiler
As for the blood, it seemed to me that it was more about keeping all of the potentially dangerous genetically enhanced crew in cryo if at all possible. Khan, already awakened, presented no extra risk beyond his capture. Kirk was already dead so in the moment it was less a matter of time and more a matter of preventing a new potential threat.
[close]

Spoiler
They did take one other person out, though, so that they could put Kirk in the pod to sustain him. I think it was Bones who made a comment about keeping the recently thawed out person in a coma so they don't wake up.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed