All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,354 times)

Eva

Eva

That was pretty insane... like speeding towards a solid object in you car with 200 kmph, hitting the brakes at the exact right time and the car coming to a halt 1 mm from the object.

Awesome. :D

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Spoiler
A though occured, they could have put a referrence in the movie of Admiral Markus having Khan change his appearance to better fit in with his code name of John Harrison, that way we can have a new take on Khan without it seeming odd that Cumberbatch is playing a guy called 'Khan'.
[close]

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: Bjørn Half-hand on May 12, 2013, 10:33:47 PM
Spoiler
A though occured, they could have put a referrence in the movie of Admiral Markus having Khan change his appearance to better fit in with his code name of John Harrison, that way we can have a new take on Khan without it seeming odd that Cumberbatch is playing a guy called 'Khan'.
[close]

Spoiler
It doesn't really matter though. I fail to see why people are making a huge deal over a white guy playing Kahn. How is it any different than a Spaniard playing him.
[close]

Magegg

Magegg

Just watched it. Probably the most mediocre plot I have ever seen. I didn't hope something better, actually.

5/10

Aspie

Aspie

Quote from: Magegg on May 13, 2013, 02:58:27 AM
Just watched it. Probably the most mediocre plot I have ever seen. I didn't hope something better, actually.

5/10

How dare you troll in this sacred Star Trek thread.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Aspie on May 13, 2013, 03:02:29 AMHow dare you troll in this sacred Star Trek thread.
Not trolling. My sheer opinion. Absurd plans one side, obvious solutions in the other  ::)

Not even going to discuss plotholes/absurd things, because there would be not an end. And they doesn't even matter, everything was so obviously set up without total disregard of interest, sense or logic to lead to the dramatic scenes the writers wanted.

The actors performances were great, the movie is not boring, but the plot is so freaking boring and mediocre the movie felt like a total waste for me.

But again, I was not expecting much from it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Remonster on May 13, 2013, 02:12:29 AM
Spoiler
It doesn't really matter though. I fail to see why people are making a huge deal over a white guy playing Kahn. How is it any different than a Spaniard playing him.
[close]

Spoiler
It matters because they even have Spock The Elder reiterate his full name, with all its obvious connotations.

But skin tone is almost trivial. What really matters is that his personality is completely different. His voice, his mannerisms, his body language - even his way of thinking. The poetic, playful cunning, which always made the character so compelling to watch, is gone.

Doesn't necessarily mean that this character is worse (although, I'd argue that this version won't be as memorable as the original), but it does make him unquestionably different. It's an entertaining film, but it definitely left me with the impression that it was pointless making him out to be the same character when they went to such lengths (whether intentionally or accidentally) to make them nothing alike.
[close]

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

SuperM

SuperM

8/10 fantastic film!

Chris Pine gave an outstanding performance, and is the best thing about the movie. There is so much depth in his performance, and he still manages to bring in parts of Shatner's Kirk as well. 10/10 from him. I cannot believe how good he was. All this talk about Cumberbatch.. yeah he was very good (he didn't have much to do, to be fair) but Pine was better.

Loads of great bits from Spock, Bones and Scotty. Despite the fact that JJ has said this is a standalone film, there are tons of bits from the previous Trek movie (and others), especially the negative connotations of Spock Prime's interference in the previous flick.

The effects are top-notch, JJ has improved directorially, there are less lense flairs, its easier to see what is happening, and the engineeering section is a massive improvement over the previous movie.

The story isn't great, and the movie suffers in the mid section because of it, but the ending was great none-the-less. It felt like a Star Trek movie (the last one didn't really)

There were a couple of bits that didn't work.

Spoiler
Spock shouting KHAAANNN was so lame, it must, must be cut from the dvd/blu release. It really did not work. And the bit with the security guard on the Vengence was a bit stupid.
[close]

Edit ~ I also thought Bruce Greenwood was fantastic again as Pike, and the relationship between Pike and Kirk was great. It was also really cool to see the model of the NX-01 on the desk in starfleet HQ, next to a few ships, that previously had only appeared as artwork on the USS Enterprise in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Edit again ~

Nice one posting the soundtrack. It's better than the music in the last movie (i really like London Calling, Kronos Wartet, Brigadoom), but still not as good as the original movie soundtracks imo... it had a couple of great bits, and i bet its very tough to score a movie that moves as fast as this one does.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 13, 2013, 04:25:55 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
It matters because they even have Spock The Elder reiterate his full name, with all its obvious connotations.

But skin tone is almost trivial. What really matters is that his personality is completely different. His voice, his mannerisms, his body language - even his way of thinking. The poetic, playful cunning, which always made the character so compelling to watch, is gone.

Doesn't necessarily mean that this character is worse (although, I'd argue that this version won't be as memorable as the original), but it does make him unquestionably different. It's an entertaining film, but it definitely left me with the impression that it was pointless making him out to be the same character when they went to such lengths (whether intentionally or accidentally) to make them nothing alike.
[close]

Spoiler
I haven't seen it yet, does this mean they left out Kahn's rockin mullet?
[close]

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on May 14, 2013, 01:55:40 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 13, 2013, 04:25:55 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I haven't seen it yet, does this mean they left out Kahn's rockin mullet?
[close]

Spoiler
No awesome white mullet, no awesome tan, no quoting Shakespeare, a very different Khan indeed
[close]

scarhunter92

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Does that guy model himself on Ask A Ninja on purpose?

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/334449559801573376

Quote"@boborci: @devincf: U lost weight?" Yeah, from vomiting through the last 20 minutes of STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS.

Critic Devin Faraci to Bob Orci, one of the movie's writers. :laugh:

And his review: http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/14/star-trek-into-darkness-spoiler-review/
Spoiler: He really didnt like it.

genocyber

genocyber

My theater is late getting this movie in till tomorrow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed