The Reviews/interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Nov 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Author
The Reviews/interviews Thread (Read 327,895 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Odd that AvP would be unimpressive, given the almost universally positive reaction to the opening sections of the game.

Choirboy

Choirboy

I thought so to but he is really picky and it's not stated that he will be reviewing it personally. If it's anything like the original I know I will like it, and thats all that matters  ;)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I'm prepared for this game to be less than perfect to say but a little, but I think it'll garner some illegitimate criticism due to the poor movies behind it - in fact, it already has.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 29, 2009, 02:12:18 PM
I'm prepared for this game to be less than perfect to say but a little, but I think it'll garner some illegitimate criticism due to the poor movies behind it - in fact, it already has.

I have to agree there. I have heard many things about this game that really upset me. But I think all around it will be a fun AvP game and a good sequel to the last two games. I know this game will not be near perfect because you cannot achieve perfect with AvP. And the AvP movies demolished any chance of anything AVP to get anywhere near perfect but its still Aliens and Predators and its the first Alien/Pred game to come out on this gen of consoles and PCs so it should be very good in at least one way.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: MadassAlex on Dec 29, 2009, 02:12:18 PM

That and the two less than stellar games that Rebellion released this year.

Eldritch

Eldritch

They did not release them, they developed them. There is a big difference :) I saw nothing wrong with the release of those games, but they were quite poorly developed. However, we know that AvP has been in production since even before Shellshock 2 was started (from what I know, I could be wrong, but not so far off). It is not like they will all of the suddent introduce bad design decisions, poor programming and flawed graphics. If you LIKE what you have seen so far, then you'll like the game. If you do NOT like what you see, then you will most likely not like the game, it is as simple as that.

AvP is - or will very soon be - in beta stage, which means that all the functionality is there. It just needs to be fine-tuned and all the bugs need to be ironed out. It will go through lots and lots of testing to make sure it is stable. I am sure that even Shellshock 2 went under the testers' scalpels, and games looking ugly is never ever considered a bug. Once in beta stage, no new functionality is added (in 99.5% of all cases, some people just don't know when to stop though...). So what we see now will be in the game. It might be finely adjusted and tuned, but the execution should be identical.

I tihnk it'll go gold 2-3 weeks before release. That's when they send a gold master to the publisher, which is the final version they send before they start producing mass-copies, boxes, manuals etc. Some publishers can make all that crap in 1-2 weeks prior to release though, but it is not that common.

And how can you claim that the game will be crap just because the movies were? These are different mediums, different methods of achieving the final product and with games you see what you are doing as you progress through the development phases. With movies, you don't quite get the whole picture from watching "dailies", only the director has it in his own mind. IMO, storyboards does not really help anyone than the director. My 0.50 SEK, the AvP movies were watchable, had their kinks (just like all the other movies, in both franchises) but they are not crap.

*blip*

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Eldritch on Dec 29, 2009, 08:53:44 PM
They did not release them, they developed them.

That may be true, but it seems that Rebellion have received most of the blame that perhaps the publisher or previous developer should have.

I don't think anyone is claiming that the game will be bad because the movies were or that rebellion developed two poorly reviewed titles. We're saying that the game might come under false scrutiny due to those factors. 

Corporal Hicks

Read Chris's post

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 29, 2009, 09:14:22 PM
Read Chris's post

Well I guess that makes him an example of someone who might falsely scrutinize because of the movies :)
Although not entirely to his fault because lets face it, the AVP series has been handled poorly by various forms of entertainment over the years. With the good being drastically outweighed by the disappointing and sometimes just plain terrible.

This game does show a lot of potential even if it doesn't please everyone.

affinity

affinity

to begin with, only fools would judge this game based on the reaction from the AvP movies.  or other Rebellion games.

They should just judge it on its own merits.

ikarop

ikarop

AvP is taking all over the world. It seems like now it's featuring on the cover of Turkey's best-selling games magazine.

EC jay

EC jay

good  :)
the more attention it gets the better ^^

Brother

Brother

Indeed.

tigerija

tigerija

Till now almost every person has heard about new AvP xD.
Its good how they are trying to advertise this game so much. And if they are advertising it so much, well, then the game is promising for sure. They wouldnt advertising it for no reason.

Ferazel

Ferazel

Quote from: tigerija on Dec 30, 2009, 01:30:11 PM
Till now almost every person has heard about new AvP xD.
Its good how they are trying to advertise this game so much. And if they are advertising it so much, well, then the game is promising for sure. They wouldnt advertising it for no reason.

Sure they would, it's called buying a cover story/exclusive and publishers do it all the time to advertise their games. Even if a game is mediocre it still gets cover stories from major publications. (See Assassin's Creed, Avatar, Force Unleashed, etc.) This is especially done if the game is expensive as the company tries to recoup their dev costs as much as they can by performing an advertising blitz to convince the masses that they should purchase the said product. If they can generate enough hype around the product they don't necessarily have to have a good game to meet sales expectations.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed