Steam engine

Started by LeoTPred, Aug 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM

Author
Steam engine (Read 6,204 times)

Hollowhero

Hollowhero

Quote from: Happy Alien on Jan 04, 2010, 05:34:32 AM
I used to think steam was okay, then after using it for a while, i hated it. Problems aside, every server is full of people screaming at each other and the community can be less than friendly on a regular basis. Trying to get by with App-less games and Xfire.

I think the Steam community is great, never had anyone be anything worse than indifferent to me

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

|ES|REDRUM|LDR|

Does this mean the Anti-Cheat will be VAC?

Caosss

Caosss

Quote from: |ES|REDRUM|LDR| on Jan 05, 2010, 07:55:33 PM

Perhaps, I dont recall them saying anything about what they are gonna use for anti cheat.

Sifer2

Sifer2

Quote from: Caosss on Jan 05, 2010, 07:59:20 PM
Quote from: |ES|REDRUM|LDR| on Jan 05, 2010, 07:55:33 PM

Perhaps, I dont recall them saying anything about what they are gonna use for anti cheat.

Actually they did.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/avp-will-use-steam-cloud-have-18-way-multiplay-four-way-co-op/

Caosss

Caosss

Quote from: Sifer2 on Jan 05, 2010, 09:41:36 PM
Actually they did.

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/avp-will-use-steam-cloud-have-18-way-multiplay-four-way-co-op/

Ah I hadnt seen that one yet, guess they Will use VAC then. Atleast Ive never had problems with that, so Im good with it.  :)

AlCapowned

AlCapowned

Hasn't VAC done a poor job of removing MW2 hackers?

Brother

Brother

No dedicated servers, no admins...no real protection.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Steam rocks. GFWL sucks.

Hollowhero

Hollowhero

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 06, 2010, 03:16:16 PM
Steam rocks. GFWL sucks.

Yes. He couldnt be more right  ;D

heady89

heady89

Quote from: Brother on Jan 06, 2010, 01:35:24 PM
No dedicated servers, no admins...no real protection.

Well true to some extent, yet the abusing of some folks is just ridiculous, a lot of the admins can't see the difference between a hacker and a skilled person. Dedicated servers however is the key for any PC game to stand it's ground, we'll see about VAC, id prefer Punkbuster anyday.

Brother

Brother

Nothing is perfect and VAC certainly isn't. People will find out that some servers are more fair to play in. Administrators are the best protection so far.

Caosss

Caosss

Its true, anti cheat protection really is admins, since new hacks are released like almost everyday the anti cheat programs will never be able to keep up. And thats why you dont see cheaters being banned on mw2 too.. Its sad really..

DrHobo

DrHobo

Probably because Infinity Ward doesn't give a s*** for PC Gamers nowadays.

If AvP3 hadn't come out with steam, it probably wouldn't have any protection at all.
(God, I hate conditionals)

So don't flame VAC :P

Sifer2

Sifer2

Well in MW2 it has two things going against it. One its real popular so new cheats are probably always being released for it. An since VAC only scans for known cheats that means dedicated hackers might be able to avoid it using the newest one's. Secondly VAC has delayed banning so even if a hacker has been detected it might be a week or so before he is removed. Combine that with no admins an yeah there is nothing to stop a hacker from running amok in MW2 for long periods of time.

I think it will be better with AvP since likely not that many cheats will be made for it an the one's that are should get reported to VAC. An of course we will have admins to take care of the hackers in a more timely manner.

safetyman

safetyman

What? Match making? They said there will be dedicated servers, so I assumed there would be a server list. After having played Modern Warfare 2 (abomination that it is), I realize matchmaking is not all that bad due to how easy it is to find games, but you need to back it up with dedicated servers and the option to omit maps you don't want to play, and a maximum ping etc, or it just falls through completely.

So yeah, I hope we won't be forced to use matchmaking to find games, exclusively

I don't mind STEAM one bit, I talk to people through their friend system more than I do anywhere else online and they have their own community, so you can keep up with people and schedule matches if you wish.

In short - STEAM does it right. It's impossible to have your STEAM account stolen, their support always comes through.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed