Steam engine

Started by LeoTPred, Aug 22, 2009, 08:49:21 PM

Author
Steam engine (Read 6,198 times)

Razz

Razz

Quote from: Zephon on Aug 23, 2009, 07:17:28 AM
It's a nightmare for people with dial up though.
But people on Dial up are in the minority and games are getting far more complex that there is no way in hell anything recent will run on 56K,i haven't touched 56K in 6 years.

Zephon

Zephon

Quote from: Razz on Aug 24, 2009, 05:23:06 AM
But people on Dial up are in the minority and games are getting far more complex that there is no way in hell anything recent will run on 56K,i haven't touched 56K in 6 years.

Very true, I don't disagree at all. Was just stating that things like Steam CAN be a nightmare for people on dial up. And you say 56K... I know some people who are still stuck on 31k. I can't even imagine what that's like, nor do I want to. :p

LeoTPred

LeoTPred

i think steam is acually a pretty good idea... idk how much trouble it gives u but it will give avp alot of popularity... i mean look at counter strike that game wasnt famous until steam came out when steam came out (counterstrike source) is one of the least pirated and one of the most played games

Zephon

Zephon

Agreed steam is fun. And getting achievements on the PC is fun too, linked to your microsoft account.

Sagit

Sagit

Steam in empire: total war works just like the machine in the picture.Hate this shit (STEAM I mean not the steam car).

Sifer2

Sifer2

Well I don't mind it all since I prefer to get my games on Steam. Don't need to keep up with a CD/DVD or bother with downloading patches since it does it for you. Then you have easy access to a friends list for the game an achievements for fun sometimes.

I do realize that for people without Internet or 56k that its a deal breaker though. It's a shame but with Piracy like it is more publishers are going to opt to use Steam, Windows Live, or horrible DRM. An of them Steam if by far the best option IMO.

It's nice that Steam doesn't really interfere with modding. At least as long as you don't try to hack multiplayer since then you risk getting banned by VAC. Which is the other thing I suppose some don't like. Some prefer Punkbuster since the results are more immediate with a straight kick from the server. Though in the long run of the two I think VAC is probably better an more user friendly.

AlCapowned

AlCapowned

So AvP will absolutely need Steam to play?

I think Steam is fine when it's used for Valve games, or games bought from Steam (obviously), but I can't stand it when other games force people to use it.

Dawn of War 2 was a complete nightmare.  :'(

Oh well. Thanks for saving me some money, Valve.

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

I don't have a whole lot of games on Steam... But I've never had any problems with what I DO have. I actually kind of like it.

VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse

I'm sorry, but we can't afford to compromise for the people still playing games with 20th century technology. Keep up or we're leaving you behind.

VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse

Steam is an excellent service. It provides security for both the copyright holders as well as the consumer. It enhances gameplay with its community and is very generous when it comes to putting things on sale and offering free weekends. That's the benefit of having virtually no distribution costs; they can sell things for very low prices and let people play things for free and still make money.

heady89

heady89

Steam is indeed an excellent service and i've never had any issues with it. Obviously there is gonna be hassle for some, but that's the case with everything. As for anti cheat as mentioned in one of the old posts , its never useless ffs, there is always gonna be hackers yes, however while providing anti cheat methods you exclude the majority from cheating.. i mean it would essentially be as stupid as saying the police is useless since there will always be crime...

AMC_Duke

AMC_Duke

I love steam, steam is what GFWL should have been but Microsoft blowd the balls big time with GFWL
and i would allways prefer steam over some securom crap that behave like a trojan and goes directly in your windows kernel  ::)

Steam all the way !

Brother

Brother

Server admins + admin tools - the most effective weapon against hackers.

VainApocalypse

VainApocalypse

Quote from: Brother on Jan 03, 2010, 09:57:45 AM
Server admins + admin tools - the most effective weapon against hackers.

But then you invariably get fascist admins who seem more interested in abusing their power than playing the game. I have seen it so many times that server admins are becoming a pet peeve of mine.

A simple vote kick feature would be more appropriate.

Caosss

Caosss

I agree that if you have to go with GFWL, Securom or Steam, Steam is by far the best.
Ive had some trouble with it once in awhile but a simple GOOGLE always helped me out, Ive yet to try Steam's customer service. Where Ive had my long hassle with Evenbalance's (punkbuster) customer service cause pb banned me on every server on cod4 without me doing anything wrong, needless to say they didnt unbann me.. So Im good with Steam and VAC if thats used.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed