Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,524,148 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

It's a good time -
https://twitter.com/CountZachulaaa/status/1377331107859927040

Spoiler
EAT

Spoiler
YOUR

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Just watch this for a second time at a IMAX theater and still loved it! So much fun watching it on the big screen.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 02, 2021, 06:27:00 PM
I don't think there's any possibility of her character returning. Hopefully, that family will never be seen on screen again. They are some of the dumbest and most boring human characters ever to take up perfectly good screen time.

Ugh. I spit at the thought of them.

I'm still hoping Bryan Cranston returns.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Honestly the movie was worth watching just for the bits where Kong recreates moments from Die Hard and Lethal Weapon 2. :laugh: I did like it as a whole, though, even if I am disappointed that Bruce Baxter didn't get his rematch with Kong.

And it's cool seeing Godzilla walk on all fours. I'm guessing Terry Rossio contributed that, since that happens in his 90s Godzilla script.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 03, 2021, 01:13:02 AM
I'm still hoping Bryan Cranston returns.

They should take a page from the Showa Godzilla movies and just keep bringing back the same actors as different characters. Cranston can maybe play the Planet X controller. 

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I loved how
Spoiler
Kong used a f**king crane as a weapon  :laugh:
[close]

Also quick question :
Spoiler
did Godzilla laughed when torching Kong's ass with atomic breath ? It sure looked like it.
[close]

Stolen

Stolen

Nice visuals. This is the only positive thing I have to say about the film. It's a failure from start to finish.
GvK fails unsurprisingly on its narrative, but I had not imagined it ridiculing the two titans so much.
The film completely misses its subject, forget the iconization of previous movies, here the monsters arrive and leave in general indifference. We feel nothing, no power, no tension, no breath, no suspended moment. The apocalyptic atmosphere has completely disappeared.
We have taken another step in terms of scriptwriting weakness, it's degree zero in terms of characters, motivations or their usefulness.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 03, 2021, 01:57:37 PM
Nice visuals.

Hum what ? Visuals look generic as f**k. It looks exactly like any blockbuster of our era.

Stolen

Stolen

Yes sir, I expected so much worse. The FX are great and Hong Kong is pretty stylish. I wanted to at least say something positive.  ;D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Stolen on Apr 03, 2021, 03:37:54 PM
Yes sir, I expected so much worse. The FX are great and Hong Kong is pretty stylish. I wanted to at least say something positive.  ;D

Then why not
Spoiler
Kong scratching his butt in the opening scene ?  :laugh:
[close]

Naginata

Naginata

Well, that was GLORIOUSLY ridiculous. If nothing else, they nailed the tone of high camp insanity that the original KKVG did so well.

Spoiler
I'm of two minds about the human 'plots.' The Kong Plot - everything involving Kong and his little found family crew - was a lot of fun, but Team Godzilla had a pretty rough showing. The Apex stuff was really a slog, and the movie stopped dead every time they switched to it. The fact that none of the main actors (all three of whom are great in everything else they're in) could make it work kinda says it all; I'd rather have seen more hollow Earth stuff.

I mean, the movie implies that Kong is the last survivor a civilization of Giant Warrior Ape-People From the Center of The Earth, and then we cut back to Apex.Talk about burying the lead! That said, I can't believe they were actually insane enough to do Mechagodzilla (they even did the beam lock!), so kudos there. His claw machine hands were silly in exactly the right way, and I love that we finally got a Kong/Goji team-up after all these years.

On that note, as much as I've enjoyed Hero Goji, it was surprisingly fun to see him be a psychotic city-smashing asshole again. I also loved Kong's face just before he passed out after Round One. It so perfectly captured the vibe of  "Dude... That guy SUCKS..."  ;D
[close]

Overall? Fun fights, great interactions between the monsters, but not much plot to speak of. Then again, when a movie has "VERSUS" in the title...

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Naginata on Apr 04, 2021, 03:58:01 PM
Spoiler
On that note, as much as I've enjoyed Hero Goji, it was surprisingly fun to see him be a psychotic city-smashing asshole again.
[close]

Spoiler
But those puny humans deserved it though  :laugh:
[close]

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I was a bit disappointed..

Spoiler
That Kong and Godzilla didn't run at each other and do the Rocky III bro hug after their final stare down.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Huggs

Huggs

God willin

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 01, 2021, 09:47:45 PM
And yeah the story is like a 13-year old's script... it's a full-on, no questions asked entertainment movie. Just a fast paced rollercoaster ride with very few pretentions.[/spoiler]

Thats going to be the issue that will split the fanbase forever, make it too human based drama with character arcs and people will bitch about less monster fights in a monster movie. Have more monster in it and the ones who want more writing will also bitch fit about it. Its one issue that will never have an answer to.

I will say that Ren Serizawa was super underused, resorted to an elite mook character despite being the son of a prominent character from past films. I was hoping for a few lines to see how he hated Godzilla and his father's ideas of monster co existing but nothing at all on anything.

Quote from: dave1978 on Apr 01, 2021, 11:10:17 AM
Dindt like it,  fights boring and unimaginative.  These beasts should be amazing on screan but they are just boring.  Smash into building after building, rinse and repeat.  Kong spent more time beating his chest than he did beating Godzilla but i feal that was just to enable Godzilla winning a fight he would clearly lose.  Kong's speed and intelligence would give his such and edge over GZ and considering he had the axe aswell,  GOdzilla winning was just ridiculous.  And dont even get me started on the big daft toy they threw out there.  Do we make tanks and jets that roar?  just ridiculous

He beats his chest twice in the film, while he does sick head slams, punches, and drop kicks on Godzilla in most of the second half of this film. WTF were you even looking for in this film? What imaginative fights do you want in this film? I need answers.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 03, 2021, 10:12:46 AM
Also quick question :
Spoiler
did Godzilla laughed when torching Kong's ass with atomic breath ? It sure looked like it.
[close]

He did and:

Spoiler
Its honestly disturbing in a good way, this is such a new vib from him I never seen in other films. He is ether angry and vengeful, a force of nature, or a good guy monster but here he does a sadistic serial killer smile and laugh, like goddamm.
[close]

Which reminds me of something:
Spoiler
How did they get King Ghidorah's head if the ones who had it last time was from Alan Jonah and his terrorist group?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed