Okay
94 (27%)
Good
65 (18.7%)
Great
37 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author
What did you think of AvP? (Read 88,415 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

o_O did you miss the character referred to as Charles Bishop Weyland?

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

It's just that I find it cool that Lance Henrikson got to be in AVP because of his history in the alien movies.

Quote from: CanadianHero67 on Dec 14, 2008, 08:05:56 PM
You know what I have not heard. The fact that "Bishop" is in AVP.
Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 14, 2008, 09:13:46 PM
o_O did you miss the character referred to as Charles Bishop Weyland?

Poor choise of words. What I should of said was "You know what I have not heard from members. Sorry.

War Wager

War Wager

'AvP' is a good movie. I like it a lot. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. 'AvPR' is nothing more than a sequence of events.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

AvP is anything but a good movie. It's bad in almost every way imaginable. Lack of action, no real plot, poor creature designs, poor script, stiff acting, poor cinematography, and poor direction.

War Wager

War Wager

Hey, I thought it was the most kick-ass movie ever made back in 2004, I've grown since then. :P But seriously I'd pick 'AvP' over 'Requiem' any day. Besides the gore level, everything is better. In my opinion anyways.

Vanski

Vanski

At the first viewing, it was very disappointing, after the second viewing, it turned out ok, but nowhere near the earlier films. It still beats AVP:R.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 14, 2008, 09:39:35 PM
AvP is anything but a good movie. It's bad in almost every way imaginable. Lack of action, no real plot, poor creature designs, poor script, stiff acting, poor cinematography, and poor direction.

Funny, because AVP R was universally panned by film critics, moreso than AvP,

If AvP had no plot I'd hate to think of what AvPr was. Like sending an alien creature to a town to kill everybody is original, sedning a team of explorers to be killed in an alien environment is nothing new either, but at least it was an environment full of tension. Please explain why AvPR's plot was better, because the way I see it, it was essentially the 2 alien races go down to a town to slug it out, while in AvP, the explorers disturb an ancient predator hunting ground and eventually the main character allies with the lead predator: scar, forming an interesting friendship.

AvPR did have more action but it all looked the same, with a few exceptions. Essentially the film was full of shooting and the odd brawling, that said, the predator shurikens whipping out and impaling the lead female was an excellent scene, but in my opinion, the rest of the violence was simply the predator killing aliens as if they were nothing. How could anybody be scared of aliens after the Wolf single handedly dispatches so many aliens, I mean if the aliens drop like flies, they don;'t become worthy advereries to the predator anymore. They're simply extras to be killed every scene. The action in AvP was stylised, like the slow motion slicing-in-half of the facehugger wih the predator shuriken and the brilliant celtic- grid fight scene, perhaps AvOP wasn't full of gore and massive brawling scenes every ten seconds, but at least it looked cool enough to warrant a second watching.

Poor creature designs. Explain. I think a slight broadening of chests doesn't warrant a film to be rated as bad.

poor script, stiff acting, poor cinematography, and poor direction- How do those not affect AvPR even MORE. I remember a particular scene where Dallas says to the sherrif: "People are dying. We need guns." and: "The goverment wouldn't lie to us." The film was so dark it didn;t generate tension, it just made it hard to see what was going on. As Josh Rosenblatt said: "An orgy of mindless violence, a random collection of bloody bodies, alien misanthropy, and slobbering carnage designed to bore straight into the pleasure centers of 13-year-old boys and leave the rest of us wondering when the movies got so damn loud."

War Wager

War Wager

Quote"An orgy of mindless violence, a random collection of bloody bodies, alien misanthropy, and slobbering carnage designed to bore straight into the pleasure centers of 13-year-old boys and leave the rest of us wondering when the movies got so damn loud."

Thats a perfect description of the movie.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Celtic-predator on Dec 14, 2008, 10:39:36 PM

Funny, because AVP R was universally panned by film critics, moreso than AvP,

If AvP had no plot I'd hate to think of what AvPr was. Like sending an alien creature to a town to kill everybody is original, sedning a team of explorers to be killed in an alien environment is nothing new either, but at least it was an environment full of tension. Please explain why AvPR's plot was better, because the way I see it, it was essentially the 2 alien races go down to a town to slug it out, while in AvP, the explorers disturb an ancient predator hunting ground and eventually the main character allies with the lead predator: scar, forming an interesting friendship.

AvPR did have more action but it all looked the same, with a few exceptions. Essentially the film was full of shooting and the odd brawling, that said, the predator shurikens whipping out and impaling the lead female was an excellent scene, but in my opinion, the rest of the violence was simply the predator killing aliens as if they were nothing. How could anybody be scared of aliens after the Wolf single handedly dispatches so many aliens, I mean if the aliens drop like flies, they don;'t become worthy advereries to the predator anymore. They're simply extras to be killed every scene. The action in AvP was stylised, like the slow motion slicing-in-half of the facehugger wih the predator shuriken and the brilliant celtic- grid fight scene, perhaps AvOP wasn't full of gore and massive brawling scenes every ten seconds, but at least it looked cool enough to warrant a second watching.

Poor creature designs. Explain. I think a slight broadening of chests doesn't warrant a film to be rated as bad.

poor script, stiff acting, poor cinematography, and poor direction- How do those not affect AvPR even MORE. I remember a particular scene where Dallas says to the sherrif: "People are dying. We need guns." and: "The goverment wouldn't lie to us." The film was so dark it didn;t generate tension, it just made it hard to see what was going on. As Josh Rosenblatt said: "An orgy of mindless violence, a random collection of bloody bodies, alien misanthropy, and slobbering carnage designed to bore straight into the pleasure centers of 13-year-old boys and leave the rest of us wondering when the movies got so damn loud."

Why are you even bringing AvP:R into this? The discussion was about the first AvP...

gameoverman

gameoverman

If you compare Alien series and Batman series:

*Both 6 movies.
*Alien series started off awesome, and ended with shit.
*Batman started off good, became shit and ended awesome.

As far as how each movie relates to the other in the series (not comparing them):

Alien = The Dark Knight
Aliens = Batman Begins
Alien 3 = Batman
Alien Resurrection = Batman Returns
AVP = Batman Forever
AVPR = Batman & Robin

The Demon

The Demon

We should rename this site.. something with Batman or something thats associated with Batman in the title.

Celtic-predator

Celtic-predator

Why are you even bringing AvP:R into this? The discussion was about the first AvP...

My mistake, I had the misconception that you were comparing AvP with AvPR.

That said, I thought AvP was a good action film, with well planned battle sequences, I personally liked the plot and thought the setting was very atmospheric. That said, the dialogue was ok, but not blatantly bad so it made no last impression, I thought the unlikely team of Scar and Lex was interesting, which was something I didn't expect throughout the course of the movie and  was a nice plot direction as it gave the impression the two races who were mortal enemies in the past, were teaming up just to survive against the horror of the alien menace.

gameoverman

gameoverman

If I was going to compare Alien series with the Star Wars series, however, it would go like this:

Alien=Star Wars
Aliens=The Empire Strikes Back
Alien 3=Revenge of the Sith
Alien Resurrection=Return of the Jedi
AVP=Attack of the Clones
AVPR=The Phantom Menace

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

Quote from: The Wolf on Dec 14, 2008, 11:52:47 PM
We should rename this site.. something with Batman or something thats associated with Batman in the title.
No. :P

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: The Wolf on Dec 14, 2008, 11:52:47 PM

Because of one thread about Batman?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed