Okay
94 (27%)
Good
65 (18.7%)
Great
37 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 316

Author
What did you think of AvP? (Read 88,443 times)

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

Not having a go, you have a valid opinion and it didn't meet you expectations, thats fair enough, Spielberg's War of The Worlds is the same for me. Just want to clear up a point, though -

3. Charles Bishop Weyland and Bishop II are identical despite an age difference of over 200 years?

By Bishop 2 you mean the guy in Alien 3 or the artificial human?
If you mean the artificial human, the answer is obvious - its only modelled on him, but even so there are heaps of examples that every number of generations has someone that is uncannily alike to another. My father is the spitting image of one of our family's medieval relatives. Its not so strange.
As far as the gestation goes I just put that down to these people being healthy, fit hosts and not malnurished skinny space jocks living on protein mush.

For the longest time people ask why do Aliens always stab the brain with thier proboscus and leave the meat, why not eat it? The explanation most widely accepted by Alien fans is that they require a certain portion of the brain, a certain enzyme to survive, they are not complex beings, more insect than anything else obviously, does everybody here share that explanation?

G.C. Samaras

G.C. Samaras

Quote from: Predator Schwarzenegger on Dec 15, 2006, 02:58:31 AM3. Charles Bishop Weyland and Bishop II are identical despite an age difference of over 200 years?

By Bishop 2 you mean the guy in Alien 3 or the artificial human?
If you mean the artificial human, the answer is obvious - its only modelled on him, but even so there are heaps of examples that every number of generations has someone that is uncannily alike to another. My father is the spitting image of one of our family's medieval relatives. Its not so strange.
As far as the gestation goes I just put that down to these people being healthy, fit hosts and not malnurished skinny space jocks living on protein mush.
I believe that Bishop II or "Michael Bishop" that we see at the end of Alien 3 is human. As for genetics, I am sure it is possible but it is highly unlikely. The probability I calculated is approximately 0.4% (0.5 to the power of eight assuming there were eight generations between the two and that the genetics from both partners are equal in dominance). Like I said, highly unlikely.

As for gestation, I don't think it would speed up by 1440 times (assuming it took Kane 24 hours to chestburst and ten minutes for the characters in AvP). It doesn't matter if you ate McDonald's your entire life, nothing would speed it up that much.

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

Calculation? 0.4? power of eight!?...you sure like numbers. geez, what are you like when you watch otherfilms like Total Recall and the Time Machine or something. You're one of those people that watch a 20 second time limit on a bomb and point out that the events occuring actually took 1 minute 45 seconds right!?  ;D ;) lol! Sorry, just kidding - no offense.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It didn't actually take 24 hours for gestation. If you remember, Ripley said in Aliens that the Alien killed the Nostromo crew in less than 24 hours.

YautjaWarrior

YautjaWarrior

One thing that I didn't get was when the Pred in the Celtic mask pretty much kicked the crap out of the one alien, but the alien still came back and won. Then, Lex killed another alien by simply stabbing it though the chest. Was the one alien more durable or something?

Predator Schwarzenegger

Predator Schwarzenegger

Yeh, she used the Predator combistick/spear and stabbed it through as it was jumping at her.
Thats one of those 'movie moments' isn't it, really? So she ran it through with the spear she was holding up - it jumped right into it - classic Hollywood stuff.

Gangster Predator

I liked it at first until I took time to observe the movie..I didn't like the way they made the predators looked.The scar predator looked like a retard I swear..Thats why I didn't like it!!!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I just watched The Making Of AvP and I really wish it'd have been something better. I still stand by it being a good story but they should have gotten a proper writer to do the script.

Also, it took them 1 month to shoot the Celtic vs Grid fight scene. I'm not surprised we didn't get many. I wonder if we'll get more stuff in AvP2.

G.C. Samaras

G.C. Samaras

Quote from: Predator Schwarzenegger on Dec 16, 2006, 05:21:07 AM
Calculation? 0.4? power of eight!?...you sure like numbers. geez, what are you like when you watch otherfilms like Total Recall and the Time Machine or something. You're one of those people that watch a 20 second time limit on a bomb and point out that the events occuring actually took 1 minute 45 seconds right!?  ;D ;) lol! Sorry, just kidding - no offense.
I was studying for Data Management that night so numbers were running through my brain. Plus, it is simple probability when calculating stuff like that, I probably would have done it regardless of studying.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2006, 11:09:16 AM
It didn't actually take 24 hours for gestation. If you remember, Ripley said in Aliens that the Alien killed the Nostromo crew in less than 24 hours.
Ah, right. I remembered hearing 24 hours and I just assumed that was Kane's gestation period. Can anyone give me a more accurate time for both Kane and the victims in AvP? Then I'll be able to give you guys a better probability simulation.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

10 minutes in AvP and about...10 hours maybe in Alien.

G.C. Samaras

G.C. Samaras

So 60 times to chestburst because of bad food... either the people in the future are eating rocks or someone forgot to do their research... *cough*Paul Anderson*cough*.

That Yellow Alien

I don't hate it as much as some people. I enjoy it when the creatures are on screen. I was just disappointed. It could have been so much better.

SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

I think AvP is a good movie, but looking at the Alien and Predator films it could have been way better. There is so much potential for this crossover! I actually like the idea with the pyramid, very well done. For 30 minutes or something, when there are the first fights between the Preds and Aliens the film even gets very good, but its over too fast. The human characters aren't really interesting and the cast isn't great as well. Thats one of the biggest problems of the movie I guess...

2aPatriot

2aPatriot

Well i thought the movie was good although it wasnt really what i expected.  Just to let u know this is my first post on this site.  Could someone tell me who wrote the descriptions of the Predator weapons on this site because i would like to talk to him.  Anyways back to the movie i think the setting was kinda good.  In the book it said that a very very very long time ago antarctica was a dense jungle which suits the idea that the predators loved tropical climate.  I think the reason the preds were so weak was that they were probably teenagers in predator years.  I mean the aliens are  supposed to be a challenge.  An experienced predator would have been able to kill an alien with little problems. 
       I think the time for chestbursters are a fast but maybe the people from the future are eating something that somehow slows the process for the chestbursters.  Maybe some type of chemical or something. 

FACEBOX

FACEBOX

One of the many flaws in the movie was...it's the south-pole, and there's no frost breath.

Another is that the aliens started a hive.... weren't the eggs supposed to pop up in the sacrificial chamber? How did they get in the hive?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed